The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time between infusions

Forums General Melanoma Community Time between infusions

Participant

I have a question that I will ask my father's oncologist when I see him in a few days but that I thought I'd throw out here in case anyone has any thoughts or information.

My dad has now done four infusions of Keytruda, spaced three weeks apart. I've noticed that 3 days or so after each infusion, the fatigue hits him and his pain (both neuropathic and at the site of his leg tumors) goes through the roof. This lasts about 10 days (the Week of Hell for both of us), and then he's back to normal, better than ever. He then has about a week of feeling good before the next infusion comes.

The problem has been that he's so bad during the Week of Hell that he doesn't want to eat and loses weight. His appetite return afterwards, but he's still been dropping a couple pounds with each infusion. After his last infusion, we ended up not being able to get in until four weeks later, so he's actually now having two weeks, rather than one, of feeling good and has put a little weight back on.

What I'm wondering is whether it would be detrimental to space the infusions four weeks apart rather than three. He just turned 83, so it may be that the infusions are harder on him than on younger people; I don't know. But I'd like him to have the chance to have more of a breather between infusions and be able to enjoy life more, especially at his age when, melanoma or not, he can't count on a lot of years to come.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I doubt you're going to get much helpful feedback — because the drug is so new and was subject to clinical trials that had more stringent controls.  It just hasn't been around long enough to try other scenarios.  However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring it up with the doc.  Sometimes, you have to write your own Rx.  I had to fight for our own protocol with my Dad (81 at diagnosis, passed away at 89 doing basically his own thing.  For my Dad, being older had its advantages – even his cancer seemed to grow slower.

JustMeInCA
            Participant

Wel, I will report back with the doctor's opinion. And I'm not surprised about your dad's cancer growing slowly. When my dad was diagnosed at Stage III, they told us that his age was in his favor, as cancer in the elderly is generally much more indolent than in younger folks. Unfortunately, my dad didn't fit that one; his cancer was super aggressive.

JustMeInCA
              Participant

Wel, I will report back with the doctor's opinion. And I'm not surprised about your dad's cancer growing slowly. When my dad was diagnosed at Stage III, they told us that his age was in his favor, as cancer in the elderly is generally much more indolent than in younger folks. Unfortunately, my dad didn't fit that one; his cancer was super aggressive.

JustMeInCA
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

I doubt you're going to get much helpful feedback — because the drug is so new and was subject to clinical trials that had more stringent controls.  It just hasn't been around long enough to try other scenarios.  However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't bring it up with the doc.  Sometimes, you have to write your own Rx.  I had to fight for our own protocol with my Dad (81 at diagnosis, passed away at 89 doing basically his own thing.  For my Dad, being older had its advantages – even his cancer seemed to grow slower.

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics