The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TIL update

Forums General Melanoma Community TIL update

Participant
      We got good news this week, Phil’s scans on Monday showed that his brain MRI is fine, his lung tumors are stable, and his stomach cavity tumors are shrinking slowly. These scans were almost 5 months after Phil received his T cells during the TIL trial in Houston. So we are cautiously pleased with these results and now get another three months with no treatment before his next scans to enjoy our kids and a much anticipated trip to Orlando. Phil’s blood counts have rebounded nicely and he will most likely out walk us all at the Disney parks.

Just to encourage any stage 4 people who need a story of hope, Phil needed an emergency craniotomy a year ago, had WBR, six rounds of biochemo, and TIL, so from September 2011 to June 2012 he had non stop treatment! But, the great thing about TIL is once it’s done you just hope the immune system takes over! Phil has been feeling well and hasn’t had any treatment since the second round of high dose IL2 (part of the TIL trial) the first week of June. So, to us having the whole summer and now the whole Fall without treatment and with stable disease is an answer to our prayers. So to all the warriors in the battle, keep fighting, you just never know with this disease. And, to all the warriors who are looking down on us, your courage has inspired us and we have not forgotten you! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Great post.Always happy to read these stories of hope.Go enjoy your trip to Orlando.In my prayers that  you have kicked melanomas butt. Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Great post.Always happy to read these stories of hope.Go enjoy your trip to Orlando.In my prayers that  you have kicked melanomas butt. Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

susanr
              Participant

Good For You !!!!!  I love It !!!!!!  Love to hear stories like this !!!!!  Thank You for posting This !!!!!!!!!

susanr
                Participant

Good For You !!!!!  I love It !!!!!!  Love to hear stories like this !!!!!  Thank You for posting This !!!!!!!!!

susanr
                  Participant

Swanee
                    Participant

Thank you so much for sharing and posting update of Phil's progress. I needed to hear this today as it appears, I too, may be traveling this treatment path  and have been scouring the board for any success stories for this TIL treatment, so your post is very timely for myself.  Congratulations to both of you (the caregiver and the patient) on this melanoma success story.   Wishing you continued good health and a fabulous time on your family trip to Orlando!  Blessings and courage to all who continue in this battle.    Swanee

Swanee
                      Participant

Thank you so much for sharing and posting update of Phil's progress. I needed to hear this today as it appears, I too, may be traveling this treatment path  and have been scouring the board for any success stories for this TIL treatment, so your post is very timely for myself.  Congratulations to both of you (the caregiver and the patient) on this melanoma success story.   Wishing you continued good health and a fabulous time on your family trip to Orlando!  Blessings and courage to all who continue in this battle.    Swanee

Swanee
                        Participant

rrrule32
                          Participant

Hi Valerie,

I've looked at Phil's profile and I'm just curious, did he only have one brain tumor?  Was the TIL treatment done in Houston for a clinical trial?  I have a fiance with 5 brain mets.  She underwent radiation and is now on Vemurafenib.  I would like to get her in a clinical trial involving the TIL treatment but her brain mets exclude her. 

Thank you,

Travis

Phil S
                              Participant
                                Travis, Phil had three brain tumors and did WBR after his craniotomy removed the bleeding tumor. His other brain tumors responded to radiation and he has been stable in his brain since NoVemBER 2011.We went
                                to Md Anderson for biochemo, and they offered us the TILtrial this Spring. Getting into TIL, is all about timing, having them remove a tumor, hoping the T cells grow, and having stable brain when they have the slot available. Please email me directly with any questions, it’s definitely worth pursuing at MDAnderson. Also, if her HLAA2 blood test is positive, she may also have a greater chance to get into the trial.
                                Phil S
                                Participant
                                  Travis, Phil had three brain tumors and did WBR after his craniotomy removed the bleeding tumor. His other brain tumors responded to radiation and he has been stable in his brain since NoVemBER 2011.We went
                                  to Md Anderson for biochemo, and they offered us the TILtrial this Spring. Getting into TIL, is all about timing, having them remove a tumor, hoping the T cells grow, and having stable brain when they have the slot available. Please email me directly with any questions, it’s definitely worth pursuing at MDAnderson. Also, if her HLAA2 blood test is positive, she may also have a greater chance to get into the trial.
                                  Phil S
                                  Participant
                                    rrrule32
                                    Participant

Thank you, Valerie.  I was just curious because I called them and they said because she had 5 brain tumors that she wouldn't qualify for these TIL clinical trials.  Even if those 5 tumors are stable, their limit is 3.  That's why I was curious how many Phil had.  Thank you for providing me with that information.  Good luck to you two and hopefully the good news keeps rolling in.

rrrule32
                                      Participant

Thank you, Valerie.  I was just curious because I called them and they said because she had 5 brain tumors that she wouldn't qualify for these TIL clinical trials.  Even if those 5 tumors are stable, their limit is 3.  That's why I was curious how many Phil had.  Thank you for providing me with that information.  Good luck to you two and hopefully the good news keeps rolling in.

rrrule32
                                        Participant

Phil S
                                          Participant
                                            Just to clarify, my understanding is that the TIL trial at the NIH has the 3 brain tumor cap. I have known of people offered TIL with over three brain mets at MDAnderson in Houston, they are much more lenient with this issue. The key is “stable” brain mets and then it’s doctor’s discretion, MDAnderson likes to think outside the box and they recognize that brain mets are a fact of life with regards to melanoma. Best of luck,, Valerie
                                            Phil S
                                            Participant
                                              Just to clarify, my understanding is that the TIL trial at the NIH has the 3 brain tumor cap. I have known of people offered TIL with over three brain mets at MDAnderson in Houston, they are much more lenient with this issue. The key is “stable” brain mets and then it’s doctor’s discretion, MDAnderson likes to think outside the box and they recognize that brain mets are a fact of life with regards to melanoma. Best of luck,, Valerie
                                              Phil S
                                              Participant
                                              rrrule32
                                              Participant

Hi Valerie,

I've looked at Phil's profile and I'm just curious, did he only have one brain tumor?  Was the TIL treatment done in Houston for a clinical trial?  I have a fiance with 5 brain mets.  She underwent radiation and is now on Vemurafenib.  I would like to get her in a clinical trial involving the TIL treatment but her brain mets exclude her. 

Thank you,

Travis

rrrule32
                                                Participant

Hi Valerie,

Thank you,

Travis

TSchulz
                                                  Participant

Congratulations on the positive scan results. I am so happy the TIL cells are chewing away at those pesky melanoma cells.  Like Phil, I did the TIL treatment at NIH about the same time and haven't had to undergo any further treatment to this point – after being on some treatment regimen for almost a full year up to that point.  It is a little strange not having "anything to do" after the past year, but I think I'll adjust.  

All the best of luck that the treatment continues to work for him and your whole family.  Enjoy your deserved vacation.  

Troy

NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Great news, Valerie. I’m so happy for you both.
                                                        Enjoy Disney.
                                                        Be well,
                                                        Karen
                                                        NYKaren
                                                        Participant
                                                          Enjoy Disney.
                                                          Be well,
                                                          Karen
                                                          NYKaren
                                                          Participant
                                                            Enjoy Disney.
                                                            Be well,
                                                            Karen
                                                          TSchulz
                                                          Participant

Congratulations on the positive scan results. I am so happy the TIL cells are chewing away at those pesky melanoma cells.  Like Phil, I did the TIL treatment at NIH about the same time and haven't had to undergo any further treatment to this point – after being on some treatment regimen for almost a full year up to that point.  It is a little strange not having "anything to do" after the past year, but I think I'll adjust.  

All the best of luck that the treatment continues to work for him and your whole family.  Enjoy your deserved vacation.  

Troy

TSchulz
                                                            Participant

Troy

Angela C
                                                              Participant

Congrats, Valerie and Phil!! I'm so happy to hear that you got a good report! I'll continue to pray for both of you and hope you get even better news at your next follow up. Have a great time at Disney. You guys deserve it!!

~Angela

Angela C
                                                                Participant

Congrats, Valerie and Phil!! I'm so happy to hear that you got a good report! I'll continue to pray for both of you and hope you get even better news at your next follow up. Have a great time at Disney. You guys deserve it!!

~Angela

Angela C
                                                                  Participant

~Angela

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

Whoopee!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

Whoopee!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Whoopee!

Ali
                                                                          Participant

YAY!!!  Disney World sounds like just the place to celebrate!  Hope your news continues to to be good.  So, so happy about this!!!

Ali

Ali
                                                                            Participant

YAY!!!  Disney World sounds like just the place to celebrate!  Hope your news continues to to be good.  So, so happy about this!!!

Ali

Ali
                                                                              Participant

Ali

swissfarm7
                                                                                Participant

Glad things are going so well!  I'm relatively new to this board and am not familiar with many of the acronyms referenced here.  What are WBR and TIL? 

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                  Participant

Glad things are going so well!  I'm relatively new to this board and am not familiar with many of the acronyms referenced here.  What are WBR and TIL? 

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                    Participant

Best,

Colleen

shellebrownies
                                                                                      Participant

Glad to hear from you and Phil, Valerie. Been thinking of you two of late and wondering how you were faring. : )

I am thrilled to hear that you have found such a promising treatment and will pray that he continues to improve. 

Hugs to you all!

Michelle

Phil S
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Michelle, Thanks for the positive and encouraging post. I have also wondered how you and your children are doing, glad to see you still check in on us, I often pray for all the caregivers who have lost someone to melanoma. You are a strong lady! God bless, Valerie
                                                                                            Phil S
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Michelle, Thanks for the positive and encouraging post. I have also wondered how you and your children are doing, glad to see you still check in on us, I often pray for all the caregivers who have lost someone to melanoma. You are a strong lady! God bless, Valerie
                                                                                              Phil S
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                              shellebrownies
                                                                                              Participant

Glad to hear from you and Phil, Valerie. Been thinking of you two of late and wondering how you were faring. : )

I am thrilled to hear that you have found such a promising treatment and will pray that he continues to improve. 

Hugs to you all!

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                                                                Participant

Hugs to you all!

Michelle

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics