The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

thyroid keeps lighting up on pet

Forums General Melanoma Community thyroid keeps lighting up on pet

Participant
      I just had my 3rd pet scan the other day which came back clear except the thyroid which has shown up every time. My Dr said on the others they were thinking it might be behind the thyroid but this time they thought it looked like it was on the thyroid. I went for an ultrasound which she thought she saw something at first but then she brought 2 drs in and they couldn’t find anything I guess. So this is strange. Whatever it is shows unchanged on the pet so if there isn’t any nodule they can see then what could it be? I know IPI messes with it but my labs have been good thus far. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        evleye
        Participant

I don't know if this is helpful but I have just been diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma and thyroid cancer that they caught from the PET.  I have two nodules, one that is papillary thyroid cancer and the other could not be diagnosed from the fine needle aspiration (FNA).  There is still a possibility that it could be melanoma.  My endocrinologist who is treating the thyroid cancer mentioned that there is a great difference in the skill level of people doing a neck ultrasound and recommended that I only get them done at his facility (a big regional research hospital) instead of my local radiologist.  I have not had any melanoma treatment other than surgery.  Hope this is helpful and doesn't cloud the issue.  

evleye
          Participant

I don't know if this is helpful but I have just been diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma and thyroid cancer that they caught from the PET.  I have two nodules, one that is papillary thyroid cancer and the other could not be diagnosed from the fine needle aspiration (FNA).  There is still a possibility that it could be melanoma.  My endocrinologist who is treating the thyroid cancer mentioned that there is a great difference in the skill level of people doing a neck ultrasound and recommended that I only get them done at his facility (a big regional research hospital) instead of my local radiologist.  I have not had any melanoma treatment other than surgery.  Hope this is helpful and doesn't cloud the issue.  

evleye
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics