The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thyroid after been on ippi

Forums General Melanoma Community Thyroid after been on ippi

Participant

Hi has any experience thyroid issues when had ippi. I have had my normal 3 month  bloods for vitamin D and thyroid but my GP called and said my thyroid was high. I said I have had treatment which could be a side effect so she going to send letter to my consultant to ask if I need to go on treatment or re do bloods in 3 months to see if resolves it self. Now I know why been tired more than usual. 

Scooby 

take care all ❤️

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        mrsaxde
        Participant

My TSH crashed while I was getting ipi, and has rebounded somewhat but has not gotten back anywhere near normal. They also found several nodules on my thyroid, which may be totally unrelated. So in addition to dealing with melanoma treatments and tests, I get to add thyroid treatments and tests to the mix.

Had a fine needle biopsy done just last week of the nodules. The pathologist looked at the slides and gave me a preliminary opinion while I was there. He said they all looked benign, which was great news.

For the time being, the endocrinologist has given me methymazole to treat the hyperthyroidism.

I hope all goes well for you!

-Bill

mrsaxde
          Participant

My TSH crashed while I was getting ipi, and has rebounded somewhat but has not gotten back anywhere near normal. They also found several nodules on my thyroid, which may be totally unrelated. So in addition to dealing with melanoma treatments and tests, I get to add thyroid treatments and tests to the mix.

Had a fine needle biopsy done just last week of the nodules. The pathologist looked at the slides and gave me a preliminary opinion while I was there. He said they all looked benign, which was great news.

For the time being, the endocrinologist has given me methymazole to treat the hyperthyroidism.

-Bill

mrsaxde
            Participant

-Bill

Scooby123
                Participant

Thanks for info Bill , I go on Thursday 10th to see consultant hoping it will resolve in time . Bad enough feeling tired with ippi without thyroid playing up but this is what we have to deal with .

scooby 

Scooby123
                  Participant

Thanks for info Bill , I go on Thursday 10th to see consultant hoping it will resolve in time . Bad enough feeling tired with ippi without thyroid playing up but this is what we have to deal with .

scooby 

Scooby123
                    Participant

scooby 

buffcody
                    Participant

I had very high thyroid that showed up definitively about a year after I had the ipi treatments.  It may have appeared earlier than that but I was not receiving thyroid testing regularly, and it was only spotted after it had become very high and was causing major symptoms.  I saw an endocrinologist with a very good reputation but he pooh-poohed the idea that it could have been a result of ipi since with little knowledge of ipi his only belief was that ipi could conceivably play a role in low thyroid, not in high.   The symptoms showed no improvement with conventional treatment, and he had me get my thyroid radiated.  The consequence of that was a major, major drop in thyroid levels, which he considered way beyond normal results and a new disease.  I was eventually, through synthroid, able to reach a level that is consonant with normal thyroid readings. However,  I still have, despite using hydrocortisone regularly, high fatigue levels in the afternoon and evening.May be related.  Who knows.  Feel very different, quite good, in the mornings.  

What bothered me the most about the endocrinologist was his unfamiliarity with the literature that shows some connection with thyroid in both directions.  He did not feel there was any importance for him to know what might be causing my condition.  I was frustrated by that and lost confidence in him, though perhaps the causality didn't matter for treatment.  

In the future, I would only see an endocrinologist who was vetted by an oncologist who would know which endocrinologists  were familiar with the potential of ipi being at the root of the problems.  I had never shown any sign of thyroid issues before so in my estimation it is most likely that my problems were a result of ipi.  

I also think it is important to be measuring thyroid levels before and after the ipi therapy.  So do the oncological experts.  My oncologist obviously at tht time did not see the importance of that.  But I notice since all my problems measuing T4 and TSH is a standard part of my blood tests.

Scooby123
                        Participant

Hi Buffcody,

i agree I have had my thyroid checked for a year a so before I knew I was dealing with stage 4 mel. This is the first time it has come back with a problem and I had finished ippi end of June. I will see what my consultant says but it's always been fine before. Ippi can cause lots of side effects and not just help attack cancer but rest of your body too. I feel tired at times ache and pains but I have arthritis in my spine , neck which cause lots of pain and stiffness in joints lol. Will just have to deal with it like everything else.

thanks for information

Scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                          Participant

Hi Buffcody,

i agree I have had my thyroid checked for a year a so before I knew I was dealing with stage 4 mel. This is the first time it has come back with a problem and I had finished ippi end of June. I will see what my consultant says but it's always been fine before. Ippi can cause lots of side effects and not just help attack cancer but rest of your body too. I feel tired at times ache and pains but I have arthritis in my spine , neck which cause lots of pain and stiffness in joints lol. Will just have to deal with it like everything else.

thanks for information

Scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                            Participant

Hi Buffcody,

thanks for information

Scooby ❤️

buffcody
                            Participant

I had very high thyroid that showed up definitively about a year after I had the ipi treatments.  It may have appeared earlier than that but I was not receiving thyroid testing regularly, and it was only spotted after it had become very high and was causing major symptoms.  I saw an endocrinologist with a very good reputation but he pooh-poohed the idea that it could have been a result of ipi since with little knowledge of ipi his only belief was that ipi could conceivably play a role in low thyroid, not in high.   The symptoms showed no improvement with conventional treatment, and he had me get my thyroid radiated.  The consequence of that was a major, major drop in thyroid levels, which he considered way beyond normal results and a new disease.  I was eventually, through synthroid, able to reach a level that is consonant with normal thyroid readings. However,  I still have, despite using hydrocortisone regularly, high fatigue levels in the afternoon and evening.May be related.  Who knows.  Feel very different, quite good, in the mornings.  

What bothered me the most about the endocrinologist was his unfamiliarity with the literature that shows some connection with thyroid in both directions.  He did not feel there was any importance for him to know what might be causing my condition.  I was frustrated by that and lost confidence in him, though perhaps the causality didn't matter for treatment.  

In the future, I would only see an endocrinologist who was vetted by an oncologist who would know which endocrinologists  were familiar with the potential of ipi being at the root of the problems.  I had never shown any sign of thyroid issues before so in my estimation it is most likely that my problems were a result of ipi.  

I also think it is important to be measuring thyroid levels before and after the ipi therapy.  So do the oncological experts.  My oncologist obviously at tht time did not see the importance of that.  But I notice since all my problems measuing T4 and TSH is a standard part of my blood tests.

buffcody
                              Participant

beans920
                                Participant

Hello Everyone,  I too was on IPI receiving 5 doses before my thyroid caught hell.  This they tell me this happens in 2% of the patients on IPI but I belive that number to be much higher.  I have a friend  a few miles from me that is stage 4 and had this reaction on one dose of IPI.  We are both currently on Hydrocortisone and will be on it forever.  This is a reaction to the IPI and I also have the fatigue mostly in the afternoons and stiff neck and other joint issues.   But I am NED for 15 months.  Best wishes to you all.

beans920
                                  Participant

Hello Everyone,  I too was on IPI receiving 5 doses before my thyroid caught hell.  This they tell me this happens in 2% of the patients on IPI but I belive that number to be much higher.  I have a friend  a few miles from me that is stage 4 and had this reaction on one dose of IPI.  We are both currently on Hydrocortisone and will be on it forever.  This is a reaction to the IPI and I also have the fatigue mostly in the afternoons and stiff neck and other joint issues.   But I am NED for 15 months.  Best wishes to you all.

beans920
                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Ipi gave me hypothyroidism, hypophysitis, type 1 diabetes and an adrenal insufficiency. The hypophysitis resulted in my testosterone dropping to almost 0. Throughout it all though, my pituitary continued to produce TSH amazingly enough, but my thyroid (which may now be shot) didn't produce and thyroxine. When the thyroid is not producing enough thyroxine, the pituitary responds by secreting more TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

I second what other's have said about the need for a good endocrinologist. Even though mine does not specialize in cancer, she does work hand in hand with my oncologist.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Ipi gave me hypothyroidism, hypophysitis, type 1 diabetes and an adrenal insufficiency. The hypophysitis resulted in my testosterone dropping to almost 0. Throughout it all though, my pituitary continued to produce TSH amazingly enough, but my thyroid (which may now be shot) didn't produce and thyroxine. When the thyroid is not producing enough thyroxine, the pituitary responds by secreting more TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

I second what other's have said about the need for a good endocrinologist. Even though mine does not specialize in cancer, she does work hand in hand with my oncologist.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                          Participant

– Paul

Scooby123
                                              Participant

Well I went to see my consultant regarding my scans and spoke about my thyroid issue he said I will re test you again and then send letter to GP and leave it up to them regarding treatment. He said ippi can effect thyroid but did not seem bothered  was going to leave with GP on treatment.

scooby

Scooby123
                                                Participant

Well I went to see my consultant regarding my scans and spoke about my thyroid issue he said I will re test you again and then send letter to GP and leave it up to them regarding treatment. He said ippi can effect thyroid but did not seem bothered  was going to leave with GP on treatment.

scooby

Scooby123
                                                  Participant

scooby

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics