The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thyrod

Participant

I had my blood work yesterday for my second Opdivo/Yervoi on Wed.

It looks like my TSH is very low and the T4 higher than normal.

I left message with Dr although I'm certain he is also readng test results.

Could it be my thyroid has been compromised?  Anyone else had this problem?

Also it looks like my red blood cells low and my iron as well.

Sharon from Simi Valley

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Christine.P
        Participant

You should ask your oncologist for a referal to an endocrinologist. I have treatment-induced hypothyroidism and have had bouts of hyperhyroid as well. My endocrinologist has my on levothyroxine and adjusts it as necessary based on my bloodwork. I haven't had any symptoms solely related to the thyroid since going on medication, but I know if you don't treat it, it can cause trouble. Good luck! 

Christine.P
            Participant

(apologies for all the typos and misspellings! i wish we could edit these posts) 

Sharon93065
              Participant

I also misspelled thyroid and couldn't go back and fix it.  Thank you for the advise, I will call in tomororrow Monday and ask aboout a referral.

Sharon93065
                Participant

Thank you all for your advise, I really really apprecite your time helping me.  Onc. nurse emailed that  msg senty to Dr.

Nice to hearing your promising results.  This Wed 2nd treatment of Opdiva/Yervoy

Hukill
                Participant

after my 5th combo dose my thyriod went as well. I have been on medication since and my thyriod numbers have been good for 6 months and I achieved remmission last month so to me trading my thyriod to be cancer free was a good trade.

bcbcbc55
                  Participant

yes my thyroid lab numbers dropped down during  yervoy  treatments, i had 4 before side effects hit and i had to stop,   anyway he prescribed   Levothyroxine  50 mg and TSH number is close to normal range now

Sharon93065
                      Participant

You had 4 treatments before side effects hit?  What treatments were you getting.  Which side effects?

Are you getting treatments now?  How are you?

Sharon93065
                        Participant

You had 4 treatments before side effects hit?  What treatments were you getting.  Which side effects?

Sharon93065
                          Participant

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

With low TSH and high FT4, you are skewiing hyperthyroid. Most (not all) often, these immunotherapy drugs have caused hypothyroid responses, when the immune system begins to think they thyroid is a foreign object. Hypothyroid numbers will be very high TSH and very low FT4. For THAT, you would be prescribed Synthroid (levothyroxine). However, with hyperthyroid numbers, you will need something else. Are you having heart palpitations? Weight loss?

Yervoy nipped my thyroid, and I went on synthroid (50 mcg). Keytruda trashed it, and I'm on 175 mcg of synthroid daily. Oddly enough… my thyroid labs will "flip" about once or twice per year. It's as if my thyroid suddenly "unclogs the drain" and gets a super boost of T3 and/or T4… whiiiiich causes me to jump from subclinical Hypo, to a breif stint of Hyper. 

With your red blood cells and iron low as well, you may have an absorption issue too. Any diarrhea? It may not be a bad idea to ask your docs to test for T3 as well. Sometimes TSH and FT4 labs aren't where the answer to the problem lies. When your intestines aren't functioning properly, it can mess with the conversion of T3 to T4.

Sharon93065
                              Participant

Ran anopther blood test. TSH was .03 two days later .04.  Dr called and said wait until my next blood test in  3 more weeks.  Intestines fine.  Only side effects (Thank you Lord)  are rashes, hives. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics