The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thursday’s the day!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Thursday’s the day!!!

Participant

Howdy all 

well, nearly 4 years after I first heard the phrase, Thursday I'm going for Merck EA Anti  PD1 at Sloan. 

with failing almost every treatment out there, including gamma knife for brain mets, 2 rounds of Ipi, and both BRAF treatments, I'm finally getting PD1. With the news that Ipi non-responders have a lower response rate, my excitement is tampered but hopeful. I don't get where these IPI successes are, why would they start PD1?  I guess they were partial responders??  If anyone knows, please advise. 

Please wish me luck. 

FYI, I know Dr. Sznol at Yale is starting a trial for brain mets, but he said to me that since I had gamma knife very recently, he advised PD1 ASAP.   So, here I go. 

Karen

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aussielyn
        Participant

Warm good luck wishes & prayers all the way from Australia for you Karen ! This treatment will be the one that works for you ! All the best , Lyn 

Aussielyn
          Participant

Warm good luck wishes & prayers all the way from Australia for you Karen ! This treatment will be the one that works for you ! All the best , Lyn 

G-Samsa
              Participant

Karen– you have more grit than anyone ….and have sure earned the NY in your nom de Guerre .  Hope to see you on the 4th flr one day when stars and treatments align.  I'm thinking anti-PD-1 will do it for you!  Thursday can't come soon enough. Best wishes.

G-Samsa
                Participant

Karen– you have more grit than anyone ….and have sure earned the NY in your nom de Guerre .  Hope to see you on the 4th flr one day when stars and treatments align.  I'm thinking anti-PD-1 will do it for you!  Thursday can't come soon enough. Best wishes.

G-Samsa
                  Participant

Aussielyn
                  Participant

rosa1
                    Participant

Karen- wish you all the best. Prayers coming your way for great success. Think positive! 

rosa1
                      Participant

Karen- wish you all the best. Prayers coming your way for great success. Think positive! 

rosa1
                        Participant

Bubbles
                          Participant

That's great, Karen! I wish you wonderful results!  I am not certain about what exactly you mean with your question. But the studies that noted patients with prior ipi (ipi refractory) responded somewhat less well to anti-PD1 compared those patients to patients who had never taken ipi (ipi naive) at all. However, I am still hopeful for you!!  Yours, Celeste

tschmith
                              Participant

Karen,  Praying that this is the treatment that works!  I'm in the same boat as you…I recently participated in a clinical trial at NIH called Mage TCR.  It failed, as did other treatments, and now I'm waiting to see if I can also get into Merck's EAP at Georgetown with Dr. Atkins.  Met with Dr. Atkins yesterday and signed the paperwork.  Just have to have blood work.  Hopefully my blood work will be okay.  Just finished the MAGE TCR in April. I was anemic but am no longer so….. we'll see within the next week.  Dr. Atkins said it takes two days to get the drug and wants to start my infusions next week.  They're very interested in seeing how MK3475 (might have the numbers out of order) will work with the cells I received during the MAGE TCR trial at NIH.   I understand what you're saying about Ipi.  If Ipi was a success then why would someone get MK 3475?  I don't know all the trials…was there one where they were a combo?  Oh well, I'm excited and anxious.  My best to you!!!  Looking forward to hearing good news and mild side effects.

Terrie

tschmith
                                Participant

Karen,  Praying that this is the treatment that works!  I'm in the same boat as you…I recently participated in a clinical trial at NIH called Mage TCR.  It failed, as did other treatments, and now I'm waiting to see if I can also get into Merck's EAP at Georgetown with Dr. Atkins.  Met with Dr. Atkins yesterday and signed the paperwork.  Just have to have blood work.  Hopefully my blood work will be okay.  Just finished the MAGE TCR in April. I was anemic but am no longer so….. we'll see within the next week.  Dr. Atkins said it takes two days to get the drug and wants to start my infusions next week.  They're very interested in seeing how MK3475 (might have the numbers out of order) will work with the cells I received during the MAGE TCR trial at NIH.   I understand what you're saying about Ipi.  If Ipi was a success then why would someone get MK 3475?  I don't know all the trials…was there one where they were a combo?  Oh well, I'm excited and anxious.  My best to you!!!  Looking forward to hearing good news and mild side effects.

Terrie

ed williams
                                  Participant

My thoughts are with you, and hope things work out. You seem to have some questions about PD-1 after having Ipi. At the recent ASCO meetings in Chicago Dr. Jedd Wolchok , Dr.Mario Sznol and Dr. Antoni Ribas all gave presentations about findings from various clinical trials on Immunotherapies. If you go to "Youtube" and search under the Doctors names plus ASCO 2014 plus Melanoma you should find lots of expert information on the topic. One other great video on the subject is from the Milken Institute with the title " The Silver Bullet Against Cancer" , several experts in Immunotherapy give various view points of current research in Melanoma. I hope this was helpfull…..  Ed Williams

ed williams
                                    Participant

My thoughts are with you, and hope things work out. You seem to have some questions about PD-1 after having Ipi. At the recent ASCO meetings in Chicago Dr. Jedd Wolchok , Dr.Mario Sznol and Dr. Antoni Ribas all gave presentations about findings from various clinical trials on Immunotherapies. If you go to "Youtube" and search under the Doctors names plus ASCO 2014 plus Melanoma you should find lots of expert information on the topic. One other great video on the subject is from the Milken Institute with the title " The Silver Bullet Against Cancer" , several experts in Immunotherapy give various view points of current research in Melanoma. I hope this was helpfull…..  Ed Williams

ed williams
                                      Participant

BrianP
                                        Participant

Hey Terrie,

So sorry to hear the Mage TCR hasn't worked out like you hoped.  I think you're right to hope you'll get some benefit down the road with it in conjunction with your next treatment.  There have been many different trials combining Ipi and Nivo (BMS's version of mk-3475).  The trials have been tremendously successful.  They have been done in different sequences and dosages but the most successful seem to be the trials in which Ipi and Nivo where given concurrently (albeit there have been a high percentage of grade 3 and 4 side effects).  Karen mentioned that folks that have failed Ipi haven't been as successful on MK-3475 as perhaps patients that are Ipi Naive.  I haven't seen that but it may be true.  If it is true I don't think that is a reflection of what's occured cellularly or biologically in the patient from the treatments but maybe a reflection that the patients who have already failed Ipi and moved on to anti PD1 probably have a particularly "tricky" mutation of melanoma.  I've been in a Ipi and Nivo seqential trial and have been doing well as of late.  During the time I was on Ipi I had disease progression (along with severe side effects) but since going back on Nivo the disease is beginning to shrink again.  I think I was a non-responder to Ipi but I'll never know for sure.  Hope the process is quick to get you into the EAP program.  Good luck.

Brian 

BrianP
                                          Participant

Hey Terrie,

So sorry to hear the Mage TCR hasn't worked out like you hoped.  I think you're right to hope you'll get some benefit down the road with it in conjunction with your next treatment.  There have been many different trials combining Ipi and Nivo (BMS's version of mk-3475).  The trials have been tremendously successful.  They have been done in different sequences and dosages but the most successful seem to be the trials in which Ipi and Nivo where given concurrently (albeit there have been a high percentage of grade 3 and 4 side effects).  Karen mentioned that folks that have failed Ipi haven't been as successful on MK-3475 as perhaps patients that are Ipi Naive.  I haven't seen that but it may be true.  If it is true I don't think that is a reflection of what's occured cellularly or biologically in the patient from the treatments but maybe a reflection that the patients who have already failed Ipi and moved on to anti PD1 probably have a particularly "tricky" mutation of melanoma.  I've been in a Ipi and Nivo seqential trial and have been doing well as of late.  During the time I was on Ipi I had disease progression (along with severe side effects) but since going back on Nivo the disease is beginning to shrink again.  I think I was a non-responder to Ipi but I'll never know for sure.  Hope the process is quick to get you into the EAP program.  Good luck.

Brian 

BrianP
                                            Participant

Hey Terrie,

Brian 

tschmith
                                              Participant

Terrie

Bubbles
                                              Participant

That's great, Karen! I wish you wonderful results!  I am not certain about what exactly you mean with your question. But the studies that noted patients with prior ipi (ipi refractory) responded somewhat less well to anti-PD1 compared those patients to patients who had never taken ipi (ipi naive) at all. However, I am still hopeful for you!!  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Mat
                                                  Participant

Karen, wishing you success with PD-1.  You've been through a lot.

Mat
                                                    Participant

Mat
                                                      Participant

King
                                                          Participant

Karen,

Wishing you all the luck in the world.  Fingers and toes crossed.  You are THE warrior.  Go, go, go!

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

killmel
                                                            Participant

Hi Karen,

I have been away traveling & trying to catch up on all the warriors.

I am happy to see you finally are going to get Mk3475.

As you start this drug, how many lesions do you have & where are they.

You are such a fighter and you are awesome.

Will pray for a successful outcome for you.

Marybeth

killmel
                                                              Participant

Hi Karen,

Marybeth

killmel
                                                                Participant

Hi Karen,

Marybeth

Brendan
                                                                  Participant

Good luck, Karen!!!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                    Participant

Good luck, Karen!!!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                      Participant

Good luck, Karen!!!

Brendan

King
                                                                        Participant

Karen,

Wishing you all the luck in the world.  Fingers and toes crossed.  You are THE warrior.  Go, go, go!

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

King
                                                                          Participant

Karen,

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

kylez
                                                                          Participant

I'm pulling for you Karen!

kylez
                                                                            Participant

kylez
                                                                              Participant

Hstevens0072
                                                                                Participant

Hi Karen,

i did not respond to Ipi and started mk3475 a year ago.  The results have been amazing – largest tumor is 85% smaller and most others are gone! no new disease and only one recent pesky side effect.

Good Luck!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Karen,

i did not respond to Ipi and started mk3475 a year ago.  The results have been amazing – largest tumor is 85% smaller and most others are gone! no new disease and only one recent pesky side effect.

Good Luck!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Karen,

Good Luck!

Holly

arthurjedi007
                                                                                      Participant

I'm right there with you Karen except at Mayo instead of Sloan. One thing I keep in mind is something someone here said. No matter how many treatments fail you only need to find the one that works for you. Keep yourself as strong as you can.

I get my 3rd dose at Mayo next week. I believe this might finally be the one for me it'll just take it some time to build up and chip away at enough mel cells faster than they grow. So far my 3 visible tumors seem to have stayed the same size so I take that as a great sign. Who knows about the inside but I feel fairly well so something must be working right.

Best of luck to you.

arthurjedi007
                                                                                        Participant

I'm right there with you Karen except at Mayo instead of Sloan. One thing I keep in mind is something someone here said. No matter how many treatments fail you only need to find the one that works for you. Keep yourself as strong as you can.

I get my 3rd dose at Mayo next week. I believe this might finally be the one for me it'll just take it some time to build up and chip away at enough mel cells faster than they grow. So far my 3 visible tumors seem to have stayed the same size so I take that as a great sign. Who knows about the inside but I feel fairly well so something must be working right.

Best of luck to you.

arthurjedi007
                                                                                          Participant

Best of luck to you.

BrianP
                                                                                            Participant

Thinking of you today Karen.  Good luck!

BrianP
                                                                                              Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                Participant

Swanee
                                                                                                  Participant

Wishing you good luck with this treatment Karen, sending positive thoughts and prayers your way that this is the one and you are a complete responder!  You are a strong and courageous mel fighter and an inspiration on this site.  I wish you a smooth treatment with great results, you go girl!!

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                    Participant

Wishing you good luck with this treatment Karen, sending positive thoughts and prayers your way that this is the one and you are a complete responder!  You are a strong and courageous mel fighter and an inspiration on this site.  I wish you a smooth treatment with great results, you go girl!!

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                      Participant

Swanee

kylez
                                                                                                        Participant

Did you get it? Knock on wood, how dd it go? How are  you doing?

kylez
                                                                                                          Participant

kylez
                                                                                                            Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                                              Participant

Yes, I got it. I have never gotten through Sloan so fast in my life!  Arthur, I remember your post all day. 

So funny, the nurse laughed when I took a picture of the bag  on the pole. She said no one had ever done that before, but a few of her patients had that day. 

Only side effect is fatigue, which is pretty much to be expected.  

Fingers crossed, and I just can't thank all of you for your help and support.

love, karen

kylez
                                                                                                                  Participant

I have pics from 2011 of all 4 Ipi bags I got, and a few from my current trial as well.

kylez
                                                                                                                    Participant

I have pics from 2011 of all 4 Ipi bags I got, and a few from my current trial as well.

kylez
                                                                                                                      Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                                                      Participant

Yes, I got it. I have never gotten through Sloan so fast in my life!  Arthur, I remember your post all day. 

So funny, the nurse laughed when I took a picture of the bag  on the pole. She said no one had ever done that before, but a few of her patients had that day. 

love, karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                        Participant

love, karen

GAngel
                                                                                                                          Participant

Praying that this treatment will work for you….you have been through a lot….this WILL work….believe it will with every fiber of your being….the mind is a powerful thing we have and should use to fight against disease.  If you're a Christian, pray for divine intervention, the Good Lord gives us hope and is able to give the gift of spiritual healing! Blessings and love to you!

Gina

GAngel
                                                                                                                            Participant

Praying that this treatment will work for you….you have been through a lot….this WILL work….believe it will with every fiber of your being….the mind is a powerful thing we have and should use to fight against disease.  If you're a Christian, pray for divine intervention, the Good Lord gives us hope and is able to give the gift of spiritual healing! Blessings and love to you!

Gina

GAngel
                                                                                                                              Participant

Gina

kylez
                                                                                                                                Participant

How's it going Karen?

kylez
                                                                                                                                  Participant

How's it going Karen?

kylez
                                                                                                                                    Participant

How's it going Karen?

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics