The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thursday Chat (and Friday morning too!)

Forums General Melanoma Community Thursday Chat (and Friday morning too!)

Participant

I loved Charlie's suggestion for hosted chats, and although no one at the MRF has not answered that post yet, I think we can start it ourselves if some of the long time members just post chat times.

With that in mind, I will be in the chat room today (april14th)at  4:30 Pacific Daylight time, and again tomorrow morning at 8:30 am Pacific. Since someone mentioned that the evening chats are too late for them, I thought I'd try some morning ones.

I loved Charlie's suggestion for hosted chats, and although no one at the MRF has not answered that post yet, I think we can start it ourselves if some of the long time members just post chat times.

With that in mind, I will be in the chat room today (april14th)at  4:30 Pacific Daylight time, and again tomorrow morning at 8:30 am Pacific. Since someone mentioned that the evening chats are too late for them, I thought I'd try some morning ones.

Anyone can join in chat, but one IS required to register and log in. Don't let this stop you, it's a very simple procedure. Just go up to the top of the page on the right, and click on the Log In button. You need to choose a name to use (which can be a nickname or your choice, it need not be your real name) and an email address. Registering and logging in aids you in reading the bulletin board as well. If you are logged in, the board will show you which 'threads' have new replies which you have not read. You are always given the choice of posting anonymously, so even if you register and have an official 'name', you do not have to use it for your posts. But you do need it to get into the chat room

When I first found this site, one of the first things I did was go to the chatroom. I can't tell you how much comfort it gave me to talk to others who actually understood my fears, and could answer questions for me about Interferon. I spent many evenings there while on interferon, with Charlie and Barth and the ladies making me laugh so hard. I was so sad back then about the return of my melanoma that I was surprised I could laugh about such silly things, but it did me so much good to feel 'normal'

I hope we can do that for some of you.

Dian in spokane

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janis B.
        Participant

Thanks for this posting.  I think I'll give this another try.  When I first joined in 2010, I attempted to get in the chat room, couldn't navigate the process and fled!!  Now, at Stage IIIC, and with a third recurrance diagnosed last week, some extra support sounds awfully good. 

Carol Taylor
            Participant

How about prearranged meetings on Facebook, or something?  I'm not at all familiar with how chat rooms work but there are plenty of us online during the day that a prearrangement to be on at a certain time at a certain site or format might work.  Support is available!

dian in spokane
              Participant

Hi Carol.

The chat room is very simple  to use. Just look over to the left on your screen, and click on the line that says 'click here to chat'. You are already a registered member, so if you are logged in as Carol Taylor, you will go directly to the chat room. There's also a link  there for frequently asked questions (I've not ever looked at that)., When you 'enter' the room, there will be a big white window in front of you, with a narrow box along the bottom, into which you can type..then the text will appear on the screen.

In fact, there will likely be text ON the screen, even if no one else is in the room, because our current room leaves the last few lines written on the screen for all to see. I am not sure why. In any case, if you look to the right of the big white window, you will see your name, and if anyone else is in the room you will see their name, and that's how you will know if someone else is there. Plus..anyone there will likely greet you.

As to chatting on Facebook, well…it can be done of course, but not as effectively as in the nifty little room we have here. You can become a member of a group, which gives you the option of trying to start a chat with all the people who are online who are members, but it's a bit cumbersome.

But I am mostly interested, at least for the purposes of this board, in fostering a chat room here, not there. I'm never in the mood to talk about melanoma when I am on Facebook ๐Ÿ™‚

BUT.. if you are not already a member of some of the numerous facebook melanoma groups, just type Melanoma into the search line on Facebook and it should bring up several you can join.

dian

Carol Taylor
                Participant

Thanks Dian!

I understand completely what you're saying about fostering the chat room here, even though I've not used it.  I appreciate your explanation and it's good to know it's there.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Thanks Dian!

I understand completely what you're saying about fostering the chat room here, even though I've not used it.  I appreciate your explanation and it's good to know it's there.

Grace and peace,

Carol

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Hi Carol.

The chat room is very simple  to use. Just look over to the left on your screen, and click on the line that says 'click here to chat'. You are already a registered member, so if you are logged in as Carol Taylor, you will go directly to the chat room. There's also a link  there for frequently asked questions (I've not ever looked at that)., When you 'enter' the room, there will be a big white window in front of you, with a narrow box along the bottom, into which you can type..then the text will appear on the screen.

In fact, there will likely be text ON the screen, even if no one else is in the room, because our current room leaves the last few lines written on the screen for all to see. I am not sure why. In any case, if you look to the right of the big white window, you will see your name, and if anyone else is in the room you will see their name, and that's how you will know if someone else is there. Plus..anyone there will likely greet you.

As to chatting on Facebook, well…it can be done of course, but not as effectively as in the nifty little room we have here. You can become a member of a group, which gives you the option of trying to start a chat with all the people who are online who are members, but it's a bit cumbersome.

But I am mostly interested, at least for the purposes of this board, in fostering a chat room here, not there. I'm never in the mood to talk about melanoma when I am on Facebook ๐Ÿ™‚

BUT.. if you are not already a member of some of the numerous facebook melanoma groups, just type Melanoma into the search line on Facebook and it should bring up several you can join.

dian

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

How about prearranged meetings on Facebook, or something?  I'm not at all familiar with how chat rooms work but there are plenty of us online during the day that a prearrangement to be on at a certain time at a certain site or format might work.  Support is available!

Janis B.
                      Participant

Thanks for this posting.  I think I'll give this another try.  When I first joined in 2010, I attempted to get in the chat room, couldn't navigate the process and fled!!  Now, at Stage IIIC, and with a third recurrance diagnosed last week, some extra support sounds awfully good. 

Carmon in NM
                        Participant

Hi Dian – I'm the one who said evenings were too brain taxing for me so I'm going to write myself a note to try logging on in the morning. I'm mountain time and the only problem is I'm usually out feeding horses at that time but I'll check in as soon as I get back in the house.

Carmon in NM

dian in spokane
                            Participant

come after you feed! I'll hang out till..oh.. well, if no one comes, till 9 ๐Ÿ™‚

DonW
                              Participant

I would have joined you today, but didn't read your post until too late!

Carmon in NM
                                Participant

I'm sorry I couldn't make it yesterday morning. We have satellite internet and the tech showed up to upgrade it just as I was coming in from feeding. I'm going in for surgery on Tuesday with a 3-5 day hospital stay so it will probably be after next week before I'm ready for a chat. Looking forward to it – Carmon in NM

Carmon in NM
                                  Participant

I'm sorry I couldn't make it yesterday morning. We have satellite internet and the tech showed up to upgrade it just as I was coming in from feeding. I'm going in for surgery on Tuesday with a 3-5 day hospital stay so it will probably be after next week before I'm ready for a chat. Looking forward to it – Carmon in NM

DonW
                                    Participant

I would have joined you today, but didn't read your post until too late!

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

come after you feed! I'll hang out till..oh.. well, if no one comes, till 9 ๐Ÿ™‚

Carmon in NM
                                      Participant

Hi Dian – I'm the one who said evenings were too brain taxing for me so I'm going to write myself a note to try logging on in the morning. I'm mountain time and the only problem is I'm usually out feeding horses at that time but I'll check in as soon as I get back in the house.

Carmon in NM

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics