The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thought I was in the clear

Forums General Melanoma Community Thought I was in the clear

Participant

Well, had my 5yr. scans and I had been NED this whole time. Got results yesterday and they are showing "A slightly irregular noncalcified nodular opacity has developed in the left upper lobe measuring up to 5mm in diameter. The differential diagnosis includes metastatic disease, primary lung neoplasm, or an unusual small focus of rounded pneumonia."  My doc has me scheduled for 3 month re-check scan to check the progress of the nodule to see if there is any change. Needless to say I'm pretty much a basket case right now. Any thoughts on this??

Well, had my 5yr. scans and I had been NED this whole time. Got results yesterday and they are showing "A slightly irregular noncalcified nodular opacity has developed in the left upper lobe measuring up to 5mm in diameter. The differential diagnosis includes metastatic disease, primary lung neoplasm, or an unusual small focus of rounded pneumonia."  My doc has me scheduled for 3 month re-check scan to check the progress of the nodule to see if there is any change. Needless to say I'm pretty much a basket case right now. Any thoughts on this??

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Sandy,

I am sos orry you did not get a clear scan. If it were me, I would not wait 3months, I would insist on a PET scan to see if it is "HOT". I am not a patient person & I would drive myself crazy while waiting 3 more months.

Keep strog,

Amy

sandywebb
            Participant

I didn't want to wait but they told me with the size being so small the chances that it would light up on the PET would be minimal, apparently they have to be bigger. But I do have an oncology appt. on the 21st and she may want to speed things up a bit. My Surgical Oncologist and the thoracic surgeon both decided on the wait approach because of the smallness but also said the Oncologist may go ahead and speed things up. 

Janner
              Participant

I believe things have to be closer to 1cm for a PET scan to be telling – even then, it does have false positive/negative results much more than other scans.  And although the waiting is tough, it is fairly common to have lung beasties and the 3 month rescan is pretty typical.  Hopefully, it is something that will go away all on it's own – or at least be just one of those benign beasties!

Janner

Snickers60
                Participant

Ooooooo, Sandy, I feel your pain and anxiety.   That's a long time to have the name "NED" and then have something

to show up !   I imagine I would certainly be a basket case too.    Wayne is having his second PET next week and I'm on

pins and needles though it was clean in June after only 7 weeks of ZEL and he had 9 spots all over the place.  Lungs ,liver, sternum, bone, spine. 

We wish for you the very best outcome.   WAITING IS THE PITS, but like they say, if it's too small, it may not pick it up

anyway, but I'm like you….I WOULD WANT THEM TO TAKE A LOOK/SEE !

Please update when you know.

BLESSINGS FOR HEALING

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                  Participant

Ooooooo, Sandy, I feel your pain and anxiety.   That's a long time to have the name "NED" and then have something

to show up !   I imagine I would certainly be a basket case too.    Wayne is having his second PET next week and I'm on

pins and needles though it was clean in June after only 7 weeks of ZEL and he had 9 spots all over the place.  Lungs ,liver, sternum, bone, spine. 

We wish for you the very best outcome.   WAITING IS THE PITS, but like they say, if it's too small, it may not pick it up

BLESSINGS FOR HEALING

Snickers60
                    Participant

BLESSINGS FOR HEALING

Janner
                      Participant

I believe things have to be closer to 1cm for a PET scan to be telling – even then, it does have false positive/negative results much more than other scans.  And although the waiting is tough, it is fairly common to have lung beasties and the 3 month rescan is pretty typical.  Hopefully, it is something that will go away all on it's own – or at least be just one of those benign beasties!

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Janner

sandywebb
                          Participant

I didn't want to wait but they told me with the size being so small the chances that it would light up on the PET would be minimal, apparently they have to be bigger. But I do have an oncology appt. on the 21st and she may want to speed things up a bit. My Surgical Oncologist and the thoracic surgeon both decided on the wait approach because of the smallness but also said the Oncologist may go ahead and speed things up. 

sandywebb
                            Participant

killmel
                            Participant

Sandy,

I am sos orry you did not get a clear scan. If it were me, I would not wait 3months, I would insist on a PET scan to see if it is "HOT". I am not a patient person & I would drive myself crazy while waiting 3 more months.

Keep strog,

Amy

killmel
                              Participant

Sandy,

Keep strog,

Amy

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics