The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thorratic doc wants to cut media the middle to get biopsies from both lungs.

Forums General Melanoma Community Thorratic doc wants to cut media the middle to get biopsies from both lungs.

Participant
      Not sure what to do. Doc wants to cut me Dow the middle to get biopsies from both lungs. I can also just go with him taking one nodule from my left lung, see what it comes up with, and then wait for one of the nodules in right lung get big enough for another cutting session. I also have “numerous” nodules in the bottom of both lungs.
      I don’think it is the same cancer. I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer that spread to my bladder, and had melanoma removed from chest in2007,
      Anyone had this type of surgery, and if you had them go down the middle, please let me know how that turned out.

Thank you,

Miley

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        TAC
        Participant

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma (lung cancer) not due to melanoma mets. The thoracic surgeon told me that he would make an incision just at thet top of my sternum (there is a U there if you feel at the midline of your sternum). and go down to get some lymph nodes. The pathologist was standing by in the OR to do a look to see if cancer was present. If so, he would NOT proceed with my lung lobe removal but sew me up and send me to do radiation and chemo. In my case, there was no cancer present in the nodes so he proceeded to remove the upper left lobe of my lung. Don't know if this applies inn your case but thought i"d share the procedure used on me. Best of luck.   I had already had a fine needle biopsy to confirmed that the tumor in my lung was cancer.

TAC
          Participant

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma (lung cancer) not due to melanoma mets. The thoracic surgeon told me that he would make an incision just at thet top of my sternum (there is a U there if you feel at the midline of your sternum). and go down to get some lymph nodes. The pathologist was standing by in the OR to do a look to see if cancer was present. If so, he would NOT proceed with my lung lobe removal but sew me up and send me to do radiation and chemo. In my case, there was no cancer present in the nodes so he proceeded to remove the upper left lobe of my lung. Don't know if this applies inn your case but thought i"d share the procedure used on me. Best of luck.   I had already had a fine needle biopsy to confirmed that the tumor in my lung was cancer.

lhaley
            Participant

Have they discussed the possibility of doing the biopsies via the VATS procedure? It can't always be done but it is less invasive (chest does not need to be opened from what I understand).  If your hospital does not offer this procedure than you need to call around!

Sounds like you've been through a lot.  Two of my melanoma recurrances were to the bladder. Originally it was misdiagnosed as bladder cancer. My oncologist told the pathologist to retest. Sure enough it was melanoma.  You might want them to go back and recheck the biopsies from the bladder. Its rare but it does happen.  Doesn't change your diagnosis but all information is helpful in your battle.  Different techniques and different drugs are used for different cancers.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

lhaley
              Participant

Have they discussed the possibility of doing the biopsies via the VATS procedure? It can't always be done but it is less invasive (chest does not need to be opened from what I understand).  If your hospital does not offer this procedure than you need to call around!

Sounds like you've been through a lot.  Two of my melanoma recurrances were to the bladder. Originally it was misdiagnosed as bladder cancer. My oncologist told the pathologist to retest. Sure enough it was melanoma.  You might want them to go back and recheck the biopsies from the bladder. Its rare but it does happen.  Doesn't change your diagnosis but all information is helpful in your battle.  Different techniques and different drugs are used for different cancers.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

LynnLuc
                Participant

I had a right thoracotomy because my melanoma was located in my right paratracheal region. It was a painful surgery and I really wouldn't want to do it again…however I guess I would if I needed to…I have been NED since the surgery and its been since March 26, 2010…I am enrolled in a vac trial at Moffitt and I have one more round and then I am finished…except  I will continue to get booster IV's of MDX 1106 every 3 months for at least 2 years if not longer…as long as I continue to be NED. They did do a wedge resection in my lung and removed a tiny growth as well but it was not melanoma. I am glad they did the surgery at Mayo Clinic. My Surgeon was Dr Shen and he is awesome!

LynnLuc
                  Participant

I had a right thoracotomy because my melanoma was located in my right paratracheal region. It was a painful surgery and I really wouldn't want to do it again…however I guess I would if I needed to…I have been NED since the surgery and its been since March 26, 2010…I am enrolled in a vac trial at Moffitt and I have one more round and then I am finished…except  I will continue to get booster IV's of MDX 1106 every 3 months for at least 2 years if not longer…as long as I continue to be NED. They did do a wedge resection in my lung and removed a tiny growth as well but it was not melanoma. I am glad they did the surgery at Mayo Clinic. My Surgeon was Dr Shen and he is awesome!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics