The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Third and final Diagnosis. At least I have an answer. Still kind of confused though..

Forums General Melanoma Community Third and final Diagnosis. At least I have an answer. Still kind of confused though..

Participant

So I started off with a Diagnosis of Melanoma Stage II, left ear, sent to M.D. Anderson who gave me a preliminary diagnosis of Atpyical Melanocytic Proliferation on my original slides… They then sent for the remainder of my mole and performed their own biopsies, final diagnosis: a cluster of shallow melanomas without clear margins, most towards the edges of the mole. Surgery is scheduled for Monday and Wednesday. They'll do the excision on Monday and the plastic surgery on Wednesday. 

So I started off with a Diagnosis of Melanoma Stage II, left ear, sent to M.D. Anderson who gave me a preliminary diagnosis of Atpyical Melanocytic Proliferation on my original slides… They then sent for the remainder of my mole and performed their own biopsies, final diagnosis: a cluster of shallow melanomas without clear margins, most towards the edges of the mole. Surgery is scheduled for Monday and Wednesday. They'll do the excision on Monday and the plastic surgery on Wednesday. 

I am very new at this…what should I make of all this…? Unclear margins? Any input is greatly appreciated! πŸ™‚

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I'm sorry that the final read determined that you do have melanoma.  When it said that the margins are not clear means that their are still cells at the edge of your excision and assume that there are still cells left.  This is why they do a wide excision. They will read look at the new biopsy and determine if that area is now clear. 

Good luck and let us know,

Linda

Snickers60
            Participant

Soooo sorry for your diagnosis.   BUT SO GLAD you are at MDA – so are we !  Hubby had mole removed from right ear lobe in 1999 with Wide incision and sentintel node biopsy.   He remained clean and clear for 13 1/2 years and in March this year, we learned that he had mets to lungs,liver, spine, leg bone.   After only 7 weeks on ZELBORAF he was declared NED (no evidence of disease) – the best name you ever want to be called. 

YOU are in GOOD HANDS and I hope you got Dr. Ross for a doc.  We think he hung the moon. 

Best of luck to you – they have come a LONG WAY BABY with melanoma and making strides every day.

HANG TOUGH and KEEP THE FAITH !

Nancy (devoted wife of 3X Warrior Wayne) colon cancer – melanoma ear lobe – melanoma mets to liver, lungs, spine and leg bone.  

Jessicaanneli
              Participant

Glad to know your husband is doing well! πŸ™‚ I will keep you in my thoughts..

My doctors are great: Dr Lewis and Dr Frais (PA) and my most awesome Plastic Surgeon Dr Villa, who reconstructed my ear yesterday.

Quite sore today, hoping this was the only necessary surgery…awaiting final biopsy readings.

Thank you for encouraging words! πŸ™‚

Snickers60
                Participant

I'm so glad to hear you LOVE your Docs – first step for sure isn't it.   And, I'm glad you had your ear reconstructed.

Wayne opted not to.   They cut his lobe off his right ear and they were going to do some kind of clip on thingy back in

1999.  He said NO THANKS and no one hardly ever notices it.  

Everybody keep posting……we all need each other and INFORMATION !

Blessings and Health to all,

Nancy (devoted wife of 3X Warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                  Participant

I'm so glad to hear you LOVE your Docs – first step for sure isn't it.   And, I'm glad you had your ear reconstructed.

Wayne opted not to.   They cut his lobe off his right ear and they were going to do some kind of clip on thingy back in

Snickers60
                    Participant

Jessicaanneli
                      Participant

My doctors are great: Dr Lewis and Dr Frais (PA) and my most awesome Plastic Surgeon Dr Villa, who reconstructed my ear yesterday.

Quite sore today, hoping this was the only necessary surgery…awaiting final biopsy readings.

Jessicaanneli
                        Participant

Snickers60
                          Participant

Soooo sorry for your diagnosis.   BUT SO GLAD you are at MDA – so are we !  Hubby had mole removed from right ear lobe in 1999 with Wide incision and sentintel node biopsy.   He remained clean and clear for 13 1/2 years and in March this year, we learned that he had mets to lungs,liver, spine, leg bone.   After only 7 weeks on ZELBORAF he was declared NED (no evidence of disease) – the best name you ever want to be called. 

YOU are in GOOD HANDS and I hope you got Dr. Ross for a doc.  We think he hung the moon. 

Best of luck to you – they have come a LONG WAY BABY with melanoma and making strides every day.

Nancy (devoted wife of 3X Warrior Wayne) colon cancer – melanoma ear lobe – melanoma mets to liver, lungs, spine and leg bone.  

Snickers60
                            Participant

lhaley
                            Participant

I'm sorry that the final read determined that you do have melanoma.  When it said that the margins are not clear means that their are still cells at the edge of your excision and assume that there are still cells left.  This is why they do a wide excision. They will read look at the new biopsy and determine if that area is now clear. 

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Linda

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics