The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

they want to amputate

Forums General Melanoma Community they want to amputate

Participant

hi all got a ? my moms cancer is back this will be 4 times in the same foot.  they will want to amputate  but i think this will  kill my mom  , she has had a stroke that affected the right side the masses 3 of them r on the left, she has been getting blood transfusions for 2 years now 18 in all. fluid around her heart from cardiomyopothy.

gues my ? is how long can she live doing nothing, we know its no\t in any major organs, not in bones or brain, thank you sheri from ohio

hi all got a ? my moms cancer is back this will be 4 times in the same foot.  they will want to amputate  but i think this will  kill my mom  , she has had a stroke that affected the right side the masses 3 of them r on the left, she has been getting blood transfusions for 2 years now 18 in all. fluid around her heart from cardiomyopothy.

gues my ? is how long can she live doing nothing, we know its no\t in any major organs, not in bones or brain, thank you sheri from ohio

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Get a second or even third opinion. From what I read on your previous post your mom is stage IV. They could amputate the leg and then it could could come back somewhere else. This is just my opinion and I don't have any medical background but it just doesn't make sense to me. 

I had mel twice to my bladder. They considered a wide excision but it would make the bladder useless. It was decided that if it came back a 3rd time they would go systemic because of the time it would take for me to recover from bladder removal. I wouldn't be ready to physically do anything else for several months. I would think the same applies to an amputation.

Each of us are different so her Doctors have their reasons. Please get other medical opinions.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

lhaley
          Participant

Get a second or even third opinion. From what I read on your previous post your mom is stage IV. They could amputate the leg and then it could could come back somewhere else. This is just my opinion and I don't have any medical background but it just doesn't make sense to me. 

I had mel twice to my bladder. They considered a wide excision but it would make the bladder useless. It was decided that if it came back a 3rd time they would go systemic because of the time it would take for me to recover from bladder removal. I wouldn't be ready to physically do anything else for several months. I would think the same applies to an amputation.

Each of us are different so her Doctors have their reasons. Please get other medical opinions.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

Kimmer
            Participant

Sheri,

Like Linda, I don't understand why there would need to be an amputation if your mom is stage IV.

Are they talking about her entire foot?  There is a young woman who has a website, Miss Melanoma, who had a toe amputated.  You can easily google her and read her experience.

There was some discussion about amputating my ring and middle fingers on the left hand where my primary was.  We opted for WLE and skin graft.  I often wonder if I hadn't been freaked out about losing fingers…well maybe I wouldn't have had the recurrence.  I have read over and over again that melanoma will most likely recur anyway if there is a lymphatic invasion.  Just always second guessing.

Gets lots of opionions if her general health is frail.  There may be other treatment options for her.

Take good care, k.

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi,

I am stage 3a and have had melanoma in my right leg only, mostly in the calf area. I had many reoccurrences and so they recommended an above the knee amputuation. That scared me to death, so I waited. Soon enough my melanoma traveled right up to my groin and then it would have been a "hip disarticulation" where they take the whole leg from the hip joint. I couldnt see living so disabled and being a burden for my family . They could not guarantee melanoma hadnt already "seeded" itself elsewhere in my body and would soon be growing or that my stump wound would heal. I still have two unhealed wider excision wounds on my lower calf for ONE YEAR!!!!!! So I said no. Then I did Ipi (yervoy) as part of a clinical trial for unresctable, meaning not a surgical candidate, and that worked. All my melanoma is gone in my right leg and there are no signs anywhere else. My melanoma oncologist said he had three patiens who did above the knee amputaion and they had several more years of good living before they died.

Check into Yervoy, a systemic treatment. It just go FDA approved. It worked for me. Best of luck,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a. NED

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi,

I am stage 3a and have had melanoma in my right leg only, mostly in the calf area. I had many reoccurrences and so they recommended an above the knee amputuation. That scared me to death, so I waited. Soon enough my melanoma traveled right up to my groin and then it would have been a "hip disarticulation" where they take the whole leg from the hip joint. I couldnt see living so disabled and being a burden for my family . They could not guarantee melanoma hadnt already "seeded" itself elsewhere in my body and would soon be growing or that my stump wound would heal. I still have two unhealed wider excision wounds on my lower calf for ONE YEAR!!!!!! So I said no. Then I did Ipi (yervoy) as part of a clinical trial for unresctable, meaning not a surgical candidate, and that worked. All my melanoma is gone in my right leg and there are no signs anywhere else. My melanoma oncologist said he had three patiens who did above the knee amputaion and they had several more years of good living before they died.

Check into Yervoy, a systemic treatment. It just go FDA approved. It worked for me. Best of luck,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a. NED

Kimmer
                  Participant

Sheri,

Like Linda, I don't understand why there would need to be an amputation if your mom is stage IV.

Are they talking about her entire foot?  There is a young woman who has a website, Miss Melanoma, who had a toe amputated.  You can easily google her and read her experience.

There was some discussion about amputating my ring and middle fingers on the left hand where my primary was.  We opted for WLE and skin graft.  I often wonder if I hadn't been freaked out about losing fingers…well maybe I wouldn't have had the recurrence.  I have read over and over again that melanoma will most likely recur anyway if there is a lymphatic invasion.  Just always second guessing.

Gets lots of opionions if her general health is frail.  There may be other treatment options for her.

Take good care, k.

MichaelFL
                    Participant

As stated by other posters, if she is stage four, it is already systemic (whole body).

Where is she being seen? A second opinion is in order.

Michael

LynnLuc
                        Participant

MIchael, I am stage 4 and NED… I am somewhat at odds with the staging system…My original was on the right side of my neck…precancerous…called lentigo maligna, when it returned it was melanoma…had it removed…again in 2000…it returned and was found in one lymph node kissing the superior vena cave on the right side…thus stage 4. I had 3 lymph nodes during a thoracotomy and had them removed and only the middle node had melanoma…it was 6.8 centimeters. No melanoma has been found anywhere else in or on my body…stage 4 doesn't lways mean itsspread over the entire body…just how far it has moved from the original site.

I also think the type of melanoma might have something to do with the prognosis…but I am not sure about  that.

sheri47
                          Participant

her first was in 1982 in the heel of her left foot, then 2001 in the belly encased in a lymphnode , then in 2005,2009 and now 2011 back to same foot as origanal mm.

sheri47
                            Participant

her first was in 1982 in the heel of her left foot, then 2001 in the belly encased in a lymphnode , then in 2005,2009 and now 2011 back to same foot as origanal mm.

LynnLuc
                              Participant

MIchael, I am stage 4 and NED… I am somewhat at odds with the staging system…My original was on the right side of my neck…precancerous…called lentigo maligna, when it returned it was melanoma…had it removed…again in 2000…it returned and was found in one lymph node kissing the superior vena cave on the right side…thus stage 4. I had 3 lymph nodes during a thoracotomy and had them removed and only the middle node had melanoma…it was 6.8 centimeters. No melanoma has been found anywhere else in or on my body…stage 4 doesn't lways mean itsspread over the entire body…just how far it has moved from the original site.

I also think the type of melanoma might have something to do with the prognosis…but I am not sure about  that.

MichaelFL
                              Participant

As stated by other posters, if she is stage four, it is already systemic (whole body).

Where is she being seen? A second opinion is in order.

Michael

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics