The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

There is hope

Forums General Melanoma Community There is hope

Participant

Hello everyone,

It has been a very long time since I have visited this site but I figured it was time to swing by and post something that should give people so hope just like many of the post I read.

It has been almost a year since I found a lump under my arm which led to a diagnosis of Early Stage IV Melanoma. I say early because it had spread to all of my lymph nodes in my upper left axilla and they were not able to remove all of the tumors. I did not have distant tumors but it had spread enough to get me to the stage IV classification. Most would say that is a bad thing but it was a blessing that I didn't realize till much later.

I had surgery to remove 22 lymph nodes under my arm followed by radiation which left me with about 7 tumorous lymph nodes in my collar bone area. Because I was diagnosed with Stage IV I was able to go straight on Yervoy and did 4 rounds that finished up on July 11, 2014. My 30 day scan showed that the tumors will still there and slightly smaller. The big surprise was at three months. All of the tumors were GONE!!! No sign of them! I just had my 6 month scan and I am still clear!

Even though I had 22 lymph nodes removed I have had not a single sign of lymphedema. even though I went through radiation and had Yervoy infusions I had very little side affects. Even though a year ago the doctor told my that I had a very tough fight ahead of me I am here alive and well. I know it is relatively early in the game to claim victory but I feel that cancer has lost this battle.

I know not everyone out there will have the results I have had. I know every ones situation is different. But for those of you who have just been Diagnosed and have read all the scary data out there please know that Melanoma is not a death sentence. For those of you that have been fighting this monster for a while, Please don't give up. There is hope and soon cancer will be a thing of the past.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Thank you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Thank you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Thank you.

Artie

_Paul_
              Participant

Congratulations on your continued state of NEDness!

_Paul_
                Participant

_Paul_
                  Participant

sstech
                    Participant
                      Thank you for sharing your success story. I pray that you remain cancer free.
                      sstech
                      Participant
                        sstech
                        Participant
                          Bubbles
                          Participant

Congrats and continued success!  C

Bubbles
                            Participant

Bubbles
                              Participant

Lil0909
                                Participant
                                  Thanks for sharing!
                                  Lil0909
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks for sharing!
                                      tschmith
                                      Participant

What wonderful and inspirational news!!!!  Praying that you remain NED!  

Terrie

tschmith
                                        Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                          Participant

Terrie

Lil0909
                                          Participant
                                            Thanks for sharing!
                                            LuckyMan51
                                            Participant

Wow!   This is such great news!  I remember the first day you posted. Thanks so much for this update. It really is so great to hear and gives one additional strength to get over the speed bumps during the treatment process. Really happy for you and your family! -Best wishes for a continued NED recovery!   

LuckyMan51
                                              Participant

Wow!   This is such great news!  I remember the first day you posted. Thanks so much for this update. It really is so great to hear and gives one additional strength to get over the speed bumps during the treatment process. Really happy for you and your family! -Best wishes for a continued NED recovery!   

LuckyMan51
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics