The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The loss of my husband, Mike

Forums General Melanoma Community The loss of my husband, Mike

Participant

It has taken me many weeks to be able to post on the board.

He was going to have more radition on March 7th, but before the went to do Cyber Knife Surgery they wanted to do another MRI. After the MRI they enformed us that he was much worse that the week before, so they felt it would only make him even more worse. So instead he left the hospital to come home for the end of life. Although there was a slight possibility that the Zelboraf would still work, it was hard to realize that it wasn't helping the brain, because it had helped so much in the liver, lung,and limp nodes!

It has taken me many weeks to be able to post on the board.

He was going to have more radition on March 7th, but before the went to do Cyber Knife Surgery they wanted to do another MRI. After the MRI they enformed us that he was much worse that the week before, so they felt it would only make him even more worse. So instead he left the hospital to come home for the end of life. Although there was a slight possibility that the Zelboraf would still work, it was hard to realize that it wasn't helping the brain, because it had helped so much in the liver, lung,and limp nodes!

RIP Cigar Mike 4-3-2012. He made it to his 55 Birthday, 3-25-1957. LOVE YOU FOREVER,

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Dear Laurie,

Im so sad to hear you've lost Mike. Thank you for letting us all know, it must have been very difficult typing those words, I'm very sorry. It  seems we are loosing many at the moment, it's such an aggressive disease. Mike is now pain free.

Look after yourself.

Nahmi from Melbourne

laurieformike
            Participant

Thanks Nahmi,

It is so hard, I'm talking about Melanoma as much as I can. It helps to make people more aware of what Melanoma can do. How it spreads, that the skin is a warning sign for what might be happening inside!

deardad
              Participant

I am too Laurie, I tell everyone including GPs about this cancer. My dad's MM mimicked an old age spot so it was almost impossible to diagnose. In fact it was missed 3 times, now he is stage 4 mets to all organs including the brain. He is not symptomatic at the moment but I know things will spiral. It's such a misunderstood disease, even here in Australia where the sun is so strong and a tan is still beautiful. I am going to make it my mission to teach others what I have learned on this website. 

I am so sad for everyone who is touched by this disease, especially those that have lost loved ones.

Take care.

deardad
                Participant

I am too Laurie, I tell everyone including GPs about this cancer. My dad's MM mimicked an old age spot so it was almost impossible to diagnose. In fact it was missed 3 times, now he is stage 4 mets to all organs including the brain. He is not symptomatic at the moment but I know things will spiral. It's such a misunderstood disease, even here in Australia where the sun is so strong and a tan is still beautiful. I am going to make it my mission to teach others what I have learned on this website. 

I am so sad for everyone who is touched by this disease, especially those that have lost loved ones.

Take care.

deardad
                  Participant

Take care.

laurieformike
                    Participant

Thanks Nahmi,

It is so hard, I'm talking about Melanoma as much as I can. It helps to make people more aware of what Melanoma can do. How it spreads, that the skin is a warning sign for what might be happening inside!

laurieformike
                      Participant

Thanks Nahmi,

deardad
                      Participant

Dear Laurie,

Im so sad to hear you've lost Mike. Thank you for letting us all know, it must have been very difficult typing those words, I'm very sorry. It  seems we are loosing many at the moment, it's such an aggressive disease. Mike is now pain free.

Look after yourself.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                        Participant

Dear Laurie,

Look after yourself.

Nahmi from Melbourne

s Mom
                          Participant

So sorry to hear about Mike – I hate this disease.  I'll be praying for you and your family.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

laurieformike
                              Participant

Thanks Bridgette,

Read profile, way to go after it Jeff, back in the day that's what they did wait and watch. That was what happened with Mike.

laurieformike
                                Participant

Thanks Bridgette,

Read profile, way to go after it Jeff, back in the day that's what they did wait and watch. That was what happened with Mike.

laurieformike
                                  Participant

Thanks Bridgette,

s Mom
                                  Participant

So sorry to hear about Mike – I hate this disease.  I'll be praying for you and your family.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                    Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Phil S
                                      Participant
                                        Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss, it sounds like Mike gave it the best fight, and now he is at peace! Please know that we are thinking of you and hope your wonderful memories provide healing in the tough months ahead! God Bless and take good care of yourself, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                        Phil S
                                        Participant
                                          Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss, it sounds like Mike gave it the best fight, and now he is at peace! Please know that we are thinking of you and hope your wonderful memories provide healing in the tough months ahead! God Bless and take good care of yourself, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                          Phil S
                                          Participant
                                            hope4cure1
                                            Participant

Laurie, I am sorry to hear of Mike's passing.  You guys did all you could and  I know you supported him every step of the way.   You'll be in my prayers as you walk with your grief to a new peace.

Hope

hope4cure1
                                              Participant

Laurie, I am sorry to hear of Mike's passing.  You guys did all you could and  I know you supported him every step of the way.   You'll be in my prayers as you walk with your grief to a new peace.

Hope

laurieformike
                                                  Participant

Valerie and hope4cure1,

Keep up the good fight for all of us that had loved ones who didn't make it. God Bless!

Thanks you for your post!

laurieformike
                                                    Participant

Valerie and hope4cure1,

Keep up the good fight for all of us that had loved ones who didn't make it. God Bless!

laurieformike
                                                      Participant

Valerie and hope4cure1,

hope4cure1
                                                      Participant

Hope

aldakota22
                                                        Participant

Very sorry for your loss.Always a bummer to read such news.Prayers go out to you.  Al

aldakota22
                                                          Participant

Very sorry for your loss.Always a bummer to read such news.Prayers go out to you.  Al

aldakota22
                                                            Participant

lhaley
                                                              Participant

I am so sorry that Mike passed away.  Surround yourself in good memories and know that he is no longer in pain. 

There is a trial with Zelboraf for those with brain mets yet I have heard of to many where their brain mets weren't touched at all with this drug. 

Sending cyber hugs and thoughts to you,

Linda

lhaley
                                                                Participant

I am so sorry that Mike passed away.  Surround yourself in good memories and know that he is no longer in pain. 

There is a trial with Zelboraf for those with brain mets yet I have heard of to many where their brain mets weren't touched at all with this drug. 

Linda

lhaley
                                                                  Participant

Linda

Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

Hello Laurie,

So sorry to hear of the loss of another great warrior.  You and the family will be in my prayers.

Take good care of yourself.  Thanks also for spreading the word about this horrible disease it shows you are still in the fight to help in Mike's name.  May it help to bring some peace to you as well.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver to Gene)

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

Hello Laurie,

So sorry to hear of the loss of another great warrior.  You and the family will be in my prayers.

Take good care of yourself.  Thanks also for spreading the word about this horrible disease it shows you are still in the fight to help in Mike's name.  May it help to bring some peace to you as well.

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Hello Laurie,

NYKaren
                                                                            Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am so very, very sorry.  You and your family are in my prayers.  I'm glad that Mike made it to his birthday.

love,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

Dear Laurie,

I am so very, very sorry.  You and your family are in my prayers.  I'm glad that Mike made it to his birthday.

love,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant

Dear Laurie,

love,

karen

justlittleoleme
                                                                                Participant

Laurie,

So sorry for your loss.  Hugs and prayers.  May the Lord comfort you during this season of grief.

barb

justlittleoleme
                                                                                  Participant

Laurie,

So sorry for your loss.  Hugs and prayers.  May the Lord comfort you during this season of grief.

barb

justlittleoleme
                                                                                    Participant

Laurie,

barb

Karin L
                                                                                      Participant

I am so very sorry Laurie.  I read this yesterday and I get so angry I don't know what to say.  I don't understand this beast and I hate it even more.  Godspeed Mike.

Karin

yoopergirl
                                                                                          Participant

So sorry about your husband losing his battle with this awful cancer. Know you and your family will be in my prayers. I too wish they would find a cure or a treatment that would work for everyone that has Melanoma. Why some and not others?

yoopergirl
                                                                                            Participant

So sorry about your husband losing his battle with this awful cancer. Know you and your family will be in my prayers. I too wish they would find a cure or a treatment that would work for everyone that has Melanoma. Why some and not others?

yoopergirl
                                                                                              Participant

Karin L
                                                                                              Participant

I am so very sorry Laurie.  I read this yesterday and I get so angry I don't know what to say.  I don't understand this beast and I hate it even more.  Godspeed Mike.

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                                Participant

Karin

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                  Participant

Laurie, I am truly saddened to read this. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Unfortunately, systemic treatments for late stage melanoma have a long way to go before they can be considered to be really effective. Therefore, much more research continues to be needed to determine why they will eventually stop working in the majority of cases.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                    Participant

Unfortunately, systemic treatments for late stage melanoma have a long way to go before they can be considered to be really effective. Therefore, much more research continues to be needed to determine why they will eventually stop working in the majority of cases.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                      Participant

Frank from Australia

MeNDave
                                                                                                        Participant

I am so, so sorry for your loss.  Your family is in my prayers….

Maria

laurieformike
                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you all for you hugs, and well wishes. Mike was so blowen away, when he found out that his Melanoma had returned in his organs. I have learned that life is too short to be passive about your health, even the smallest of signs. He was always using sunscreen, but not so much so, when we were young. As a sun lover my self I have changed my thinking. Enjoy life with the sun and water but be smart!

kluft
                                                                                                              Participant

Dear Laura, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband to Melanoma.. I lost my husband to luekemia several years ago..

Also I was diagnosed and began my fight with Melanoma on April 3rd, the same day Mike lost his fight.. I will continue the fight….Karen

laurieformike
                                                                                                                Participant

Karen,

Do your very best to overcome this monster, you can be a great fighter for us also, we need to have more stores of fighting the good fight.

Laurie

laurieformike
                                                                                                                  Participant

Karen,

Do your very best to overcome this monster, you can be a great fighter for us also, we need to have more stores of fighting the good fight.

Laurie

laurieformike
                                                                                                                    Participant

Karen,

Laurie

kluft
                                                                                                                      Participant

Dear Laura, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband to Melanoma.. I lost my husband to luekemia several years ago..

Also I was diagnosed and began my fight with Melanoma on April 3rd, the same day Mike lost his fight.. I will continue the fight….Karen

kluft
                                                                                                                        Participant

laurieformike
                                                                                                                          Participant

Thank you all for you hugs, and well wishes. Mike was so blowen away, when he found out that his Melanoma had returned in his organs. I have learned that life is too short to be passive about your health, even the smallest of signs. He was always using sunscreen, but not so much so, when we were young. As a sun lover my self I have changed my thinking. Enjoy life with the sun and water but be smart!

laurieformike
                                                                                                                            Participant

MeNDave
                                                                                                                            Participant

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                                                                              Participant

Maria

applewhitegroup
                                                                                                                                Participant

I am so sorry to hear about Mike. I just lost my father a few months ago.

http://www.melanoma.org/community/douglas-applewhite

Now, I hope not to fall victim to the beast, I have been a sun worshiper all my life until a few months ago. After my dad died I found it helpfull to try to help others be aware and raise money for melanoma research.

applewhitegroup
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Now, I hope not to fall victim to the beast, I have been a sun worshiper all my life until a few months ago. After my dad died I found it helpfull to try to help others be aware and raise money for melanoma research.

applewhitegroup
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics