The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Gambler’s Choice

Forums General Melanoma Community The Gambler’s Choice

Participant

With much support from my " loving wife Deb " I feel informed enough to make a choice which way to go in reguards to what type of  treatment. Being at stage 3c my options did not seem to be many, my surgeon and oncologist said no to radiation and chemo which left Interferon and clinical trials. So I tried to soak up all I could on these two topics between the internet sites and my oncologist and it seems that being stage 3c limits my choices ( it opens up more for the stage 4 ).

With much support from my " loving wife Deb " I feel informed enough to make a choice which way to go in reguards to what type of  treatment. Being at stage 3c my options did not seem to be many, my surgeon and oncologist said no to radiation and chemo which left Interferon and clinical trials. So I tried to soak up all I could on these two topics between the internet sites and my oncologist and it seems that being stage 3c limits my choices ( it opens up more for the stage 4 ).

Since my primary tumor was never found my oncologist said to me it was possible that my immune system destroyed it ( like it is suppose to ) but during the battle one or more cancer cells escaped and took refuge in my lymph node ( groin area ) and was well fed and nurished by the lymph system until it got big enough for me to feel it. If this is true it tells me my immune system was doing its job and there is a chance that it is currently doing battle with the bastards as I speak.

The information I read on the trials and interferon side and their effects frankly scare the hell out of me. I am aware that not everyone has the severe side affects but there is always that chance. The interferon is a year long commitment that can change a good immune system to a poor or non-existent one, opening the door to all the everyday germs and viruses ( even yearly colds and flu are killing people ). So I set out on a quest to get info on non chemical Naturpathic immune system therapy and I see it is a whole other world and most probable there are two camps "chemical and natural".

With being stage 3c at this time I feel I have a shot at the natural path although I know there is a possibility of being well on my way to stage 4 currently but untill I get my next Pet Scan there is no proof so I will continue on as 3c. One of the things important to me is quality of life and currently I feel good as I did before I was diagnosed. I have my loving wife, three beautiful daughters and two georgeous grandchildren.

Through all of this as Deb and I have tried to make sense of it all, understand the pro and con's of choices and decisions. I was imagining the inside of an old western Saloon where people brought in their last hard earned dollar in hopes that whether it be a simple deck of cards or dice you get lucky and get the winning hand  just like we are doing with melanoma, it all seems to be about  "odds, percentages ratio's".

For those of you who read this I would welcome your comments reguarding the Naturopathic Therapy care and what experiences they have had.

Thanks… Bob

[email protected]

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Brandi
        Participant

Hi Bob,

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to go the chemical route. In the medical community their treatments are viewed as the best and they do not consider any other forms of treatment. I personally, believe that the patient has to comfortable with the treatments and the decisions. As we know you have to guide your own treatment and go with your gut and what you feel is right. I pray that all goes well for you and your family.

Good luck to you!

Brandi
          Participant

Hi Bob,

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to go the chemical route. In the medical community their treatments are viewed as the best and they do not consider any other forms of treatment. I personally, believe that the patient has to comfortable with the treatments and the decisions. As we know you have to guide your own treatment and go with your gut and what you feel is right. I pray that all goes well for you and your family.

Good luck to you!

dian in spokane
            Participant

I'm sure you've been researching naturapathic methods. We used to have a number of 'natural' followers (and there are still a few out there) who would share their regimes. Some of these might be available to you by using search words like 'Natural Ron' or ..'the Green Monster"

Also worth looking into is a book called "The PH Diet", by Robert Young. And another (maybe more on the foo-foo voo-doo side) called "Fighting Cancer from Within" by Martin Rossman MD. These are both books that have been available for a long time, so you can find them cheap at used bookstores or online.

If, like me, you are too intent on enjoying your life to give up the foods the PH diet requires you to give up, then you'll probably want to look over the guidelines of the ACS.. lots of veggies mostly,

Finally, I am a firm believer in Turmeric, which you can get if you eat a TON of Indian Cuisine, or you can buy at your local health food store, and the power of Vitamin D..which you can get in 2000miu gelcaps at Costco (or 1000 miu at the local pharmacy) Both of these supplements are great for building a good immune system.

Exercise, once you are fully recovered from your surgery, is a good thing for the immune system too,.

And sex, so I hear.

Good luck Bob!

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
              Participant

I'm sure you've been researching naturapathic methods. We used to have a number of 'natural' followers (and there are still a few out there) who would share their regimes. Some of these might be available to you by using search words like 'Natural Ron' or ..'the Green Monster"

Also worth looking into is a book called "The PH Diet", by Robert Young. And another (maybe more on the foo-foo voo-doo side) called "Fighting Cancer from Within" by Martin Rossman MD. These are both books that have been available for a long time, so you can find them cheap at used bookstores or online.

If, like me, you are too intent on enjoying your life to give up the foods the PH diet requires you to give up, then you'll probably want to look over the guidelines of the ACS.. lots of veggies mostly,

Finally, I am a firm believer in Turmeric, which you can get if you eat a TON of Indian Cuisine, or you can buy at your local health food store, and the power of Vitamin D..which you can get in 2000miu gelcaps at Costco (or 1000 miu at the local pharmacy) Both of these supplements are great for building a good immune system.

Exercise, once you are fully recovered from your surgery, is a good thing for the immune system too,.

And sex, so I hear.

Good luck Bob!

dian in spokane

washoegal
                Participant

Bob

Sorry you are here but glad we are finally hearing from you instead of your wife.  I am also Stage 3, I got it a little earlier than you though and am currently 3a.  I also chose "wait and watch", not so much for fear of the side effects of interferon but because it sounded too much like a loosing proposition to me and it meant giving up a year of my life.  At 3a, I did not qualify for any trials.  Stage 3 is a lousy place to be, but there are worse places!   I try my best to go on living life just as I had before melanoma.  With the exception of applying copious amounts of sun block, seeing my dermatologist and onc and taking vitamin D. 

Keep us informed as to your progress and lets us know what ideas you come up with for fighting this monster.

Mary

washoegal
                  Participant

Bob

Sorry you are here but glad we are finally hearing from you instead of your wife.  I am also Stage 3, I got it a little earlier than you though and am currently 3a.  I also chose "wait and watch", not so much for fear of the side effects of interferon but because it sounded too much like a loosing proposition to me and it meant giving up a year of my life.  At 3a, I did not qualify for any trials.  Stage 3 is a lousy place to be, but there are worse places!   I try my best to go on living life just as I had before melanoma.  With the exception of applying copious amounts of sun block, seeing my dermatologist and onc and taking vitamin D. 

Keep us informed as to your progress and lets us know what ideas you come up with for fighting this monster.

Mary

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Hi Bob

There appears to be a relationship between low Vit D counts and Melanoma. Its not clear whether when diagnosed you stay out of the sun and therefore have low counts. We did a simple blood test with our son when he was stage 4 and discovered he was very low in Vit D. Its probably a good idea to get your levels checked and if low get your Doctor to prescribe the correct dosage.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                      Participant

Hi Bob

There appears to be a relationship between low Vit D counts and Melanoma. Its not clear whether when diagnosed you stay out of the sun and therefore have low counts. We did a simple blood test with our son when he was stage 4 and discovered he was very low in Vit D. Its probably a good idea to get your levels checked and if low get your Doctor to prescribe the correct dosage.

best wishes

James

Jim M.
                        Participant

HI Bob,

I'm also stage 3C with an unknown primary but from the right axillary. I changed my diet 2 weeks after I was diagnosed. Now I eat more veggies, whole grains, fruit, soy, some nuts to name a few. I take 5000mgs of Fish Oil per day, Querecetin, a green drink called Green Vibrance, a garlic tablet (Garlinase brand). I also took AHCC.

From books I've read I've come to believe in a combination of traditional therapy and naturopathic therapy. I had the choice of interferon, Ipilimumab and watching and waiting. I chose Ipilimumab. My doc. recommended radiation. I know not everyone is in favor of it. I chose it because my doc. said it would decrease the chance of a local recurrence from 60 to 10%. My doc. said   that 30% of those who have surgery with nothing else don't get a recurrence. That means 70% do.

From Ipi I'm on a steroid, maybe long term as a hormone replacement for the pituitary gland. From the surgery, radiation and getting ivs in my right arm a couple times I developed lymphedema. Manageable stuff but it does affect the quality of life.

I also tried acupuncture but I didn't complete the full regime. Look up books like, Anti-Cancer, Beating Cancer with Nutrition and Challenge Cancer and Win. Also , How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED 2 years, 11 months

Jim M.
                          Participant

HI Bob,

I'm also stage 3C with an unknown primary but from the right axillary. I changed my diet 2 weeks after I was diagnosed. Now I eat more veggies, whole grains, fruit, soy, some nuts to name a few. I take 5000mgs of Fish Oil per day, Querecetin, a green drink called Green Vibrance, a garlic tablet (Garlinase brand). I also took AHCC.

From books I've read I've come to believe in a combination of traditional therapy and naturopathic therapy. I had the choice of interferon, Ipilimumab and watching and waiting. I chose Ipilimumab. My doc. recommended radiation. I know not everyone is in favor of it. I chose it because my doc. said it would decrease the chance of a local recurrence from 60 to 10%. My doc. said   that 30% of those who have surgery with nothing else don't get a recurrence. That means 70% do.

From Ipi I'm on a steroid, maybe long term as a hormone replacement for the pituitary gland. From the surgery, radiation and getting ivs in my right arm a couple times I developed lymphedema. Manageable stuff but it does affect the quality of life.

I also tried acupuncture but I didn't complete the full regime. Look up books like, Anti-Cancer, Beating Cancer with Nutrition and Challenge Cancer and Win. Also , How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine.

Best of success and God Bless,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED 2 years, 11 months

jag
                            Participant

I took the macrobiotic path.  Stuck to it like a shipwreck victim clinging to a life preserver.  Things got worse.  Don't kill yourself trying to be super healthy, good overall health will improve your quality of life.  Try to make decisions that will get you back in shape and losing weight.  If you search the patnets for Allen Carr, you will find someone who has used supplements to improve his overall quality of life/immune system.  You are right about the gambling philosophy, so I wish you a royal flush. 

dian in spokane
                                Participant

I always think of it as more of a crap shoot than a poker hand…

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

I always think of it as more of a crap shoot than a poker hand…

jag
                                  Participant

I took the macrobiotic path.  Stuck to it like a shipwreck victim clinging to a life preserver.  Things got worse.  Don't kill yourself trying to be super healthy, good overall health will improve your quality of life.  Try to make decisions that will get you back in shape and losing weight.  If you search the patnets for Allen Carr, you will find someone who has used supplements to improve his overall quality of life/immune system.  You are right about the gambling philosophy, so I wish you a royal flush. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics