The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The funniest thing I have seen in a while.

Forums General Melanoma Community The funniest thing I have seen in a while.

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jag.
    Participant

Makes me think of Barbie Girl going to church.  Dude has tats and fat rolls on his neck, and an earing

Makes me think of Barbie Girl going to church.  Dude has tats and fat rolls on his neck, and an earing

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        BarbieGirl
        Participant

Why in the world would THAT remind you of me in church?  You sure have me pegged wrong! 

I'm not proud of this, but I haven't been to church on a regular basis since my divorce (1988).  My last time to go to a regular church service was in 2006 when Mike Huckabee spoke at *my* church here in Texas.  My hubby faithfully takes the 3 grandgirlies to Sunday School every week (if we're in town or they aren't sick), and sometimes to church.

I want to go to church, but hubby and I can't agree on churches—*my* church has had many "political problems"; "financial embezzlement" by an ex-pastor and half his finance committee; the pastor they have now is deaf (yes… deaf!); hubby doesn't "do" Sunday school, and I want to do both (SS and church).  He's willing to go to a huge couples class, but it's kinda hard, when hubs is 19 years older than I am, to find a 'couples" class—which one do we go to?  The 49-yr-olds or the 68-yr-olds class?  LOL!  And actually, he's kinda stopped going to church as much.  Why?  Because he doesn't like the "new-age" gospel music, so he's always 20 minutes or so late.  The music director, with an ego the size of Texas, started locking the doors so people wouldn't interrupt 'his' music!!  It pissed hubby off, and even though they STOPPED locking the doors, he still doesn't like the music and is still late.  *I* love the music, from old-time gospel hymns to the new stuff.  There's a church I'd love to go to, but hubby won't go with me—it's only about 8 miles from the house, instead of 3 minutes to *my* church.  (I keep saying *my* church, because I was a member there a LONG time before hubby was.)

Yes, I am a Christian— I believe in Jesus Christ's birth, death and resurrection. .  But until I get back in church, I'm not doing what I need to do. 

I don't want to upset or piss anyone off, but that video?  Makes me sick.  29 years ago, my parents had watched W.V. Grant on TV, knew he was in Dallas, and wanted to go to one of his services one Sunday.  So we did.  What a bunch of horse-shit!   I was sitting beside a lady (with a seat in between us) who had a hospital arm-band on.  I asked her if she'd been sick and she told me she was allowed to leave the hosp. for church, then go back.  I asked her if the empty seat was taken so Leslie could sit in it (she wasn't even 2 yet).  The lady told me she was holding it for her son, WHO WAS A DEACON, but Leslie could sit there until he came to his seat.

The "preaching service" was just… ok.  We could barely hear the preacher from all the commotion going on in the congregation.  I'm talking people standing on the pews and jumping and dancing and hollering, etc. Then came time for the healing service.  Guess who was one of the FIRST ones to be called up to be healed?  The lady beside me.  Grant asked her if they'd ever met (no), if they'd ever spoken (no), if they'd ever had any contact whatsoever or knew anyone in the church (no).    I knew then it was all a lie (since she'd already told me her son was a deacon!)   We got up and walked out—and Grant said something like.. "ONLY THE NON-BELIEVERS WILL LEAVE–WE MUST PRAY FOR THEM NOW!"  I wanted to turn around a give him the finger, but just kept walking.

He got his comeuppance a few years later.  You can read about it on his wiki-page.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._V._Grant

Do I believe in faith healing?  You betch'a.. thru prayer.  But not thru some human who takes from the poor to make himself rich.

Anyhoo… all that to let you know that I resent being compared to anyone in THAT video.  My oldest sis and I disagree—they are members of a very charismatic, faith-healing, Benny-Hinn loving church.  Whatever floats their boat, but it doesn't mine.  On facebook, I joined "Journey through the Bible"… a site that starts at Genesis and ends with Revelations.  I've never read the Bible front to back, and decided before I die, I'm going to!  I learned a lot of verses when I was younger, did Bible drills, etc., but reading the Bible from cover-to-cover is on my bucket list.  Been doing this for months, and we're in Deuteronomy.   For the 1st time in my life, I wasn't bored to death by who-begat-who—-I just wish ALL, from the time of Adam and Eve and Noah, had kept records like that, then I would at least know most of my family tree.  I just know bits and pieces now.

Even though I don't go to church right now, I AM studying the Bible and loving it!   Also, in the past year, I've learned to pray.  I mean REALLY pray, on my knees and sincerely.  God's still working in my life—He's determined to make me a GOOD Christian before all is said and done. =)

jag
            Participant

Hah! there you are.  Well, I was just kidding, don't take everything I say as gospel for christ's (yeah I said it) sake.

I feel sorry for your old husband though, give that old dude a break.  He sounds more beat up than old Bill and he is only 68.  Bet he is a real good guy-probably 1/2 as whiney or in love with himself as Billy Boy, that, and the fact that he puts up with you means he is sure to be canonized-St. BarbieGirl's Hubbie.  

jag
              Participant

Hah! there you are.  Well, I was just kidding, don't take everything I say as gospel for christ's (yeah I said it) sake.

I feel sorry for your old husband though, give that old dude a break.  He sounds more beat up than old Bill and he is only 68.  Bet he is a real good guy-probably 1/2 as whiney or in love with himself as Billy Boy, that, and the fact that he puts up with you means he is sure to be canonized-St. BarbieGirl's Hubbie.  

BarbieGirl
              Participant

Why in the world would THAT remind you of me in church?  You sure have me pegged wrong! 

I'm not proud of this, but I haven't been to church on a regular basis since my divorce (1988).  My last time to go to a regular church service was in 2006 when Mike Huckabee spoke at *my* church here in Texas.  My hubby faithfully takes the 3 grandgirlies to Sunday School every week (if we're in town or they aren't sick), and sometimes to church.

I want to go to church, but hubby and I can't agree on churches—*my* church has had many "political problems"; "financial embezzlement" by an ex-pastor and half his finance committee; the pastor they have now is deaf (yes… deaf!); hubby doesn't "do" Sunday school, and I want to do both (SS and church).  He's willing to go to a huge couples class, but it's kinda hard, when hubs is 19 years older than I am, to find a 'couples" class—which one do we go to?  The 49-yr-olds or the 68-yr-olds class?  LOL!  And actually, he's kinda stopped going to church as much.  Why?  Because he doesn't like the "new-age" gospel music, so he's always 20 minutes or so late.  The music director, with an ego the size of Texas, started locking the doors so people wouldn't interrupt 'his' music!!  It pissed hubby off, and even though they STOPPED locking the doors, he still doesn't like the music and is still late.  *I* love the music, from old-time gospel hymns to the new stuff.  There's a church I'd love to go to, but hubby won't go with me—it's only about 8 miles from the house, instead of 3 minutes to *my* church.  (I keep saying *my* church, because I was a member there a LONG time before hubby was.)

Yes, I am a Christian— I believe in Jesus Christ's birth, death and resurrection. .  But until I get back in church, I'm not doing what I need to do. 

I don't want to upset or piss anyone off, but that video?  Makes me sick.  29 years ago, my parents had watched W.V. Grant on TV, knew he was in Dallas, and wanted to go to one of his services one Sunday.  So we did.  What a bunch of horse-shit!   I was sitting beside a lady (with a seat in between us) who had a hospital arm-band on.  I asked her if she'd been sick and she told me she was allowed to leave the hosp. for church, then go back.  I asked her if the empty seat was taken so Leslie could sit in it (she wasn't even 2 yet).  The lady told me she was holding it for her son, WHO WAS A DEACON, but Leslie could sit there until he came to his seat.

The "preaching service" was just… ok.  We could barely hear the preacher from all the commotion going on in the congregation.  I'm talking people standing on the pews and jumping and dancing and hollering, etc. Then came time for the healing service.  Guess who was one of the FIRST ones to be called up to be healed?  The lady beside me.  Grant asked her if they'd ever met (no), if they'd ever spoken (no), if they'd ever had any contact whatsoever or knew anyone in the church (no).    I knew then it was all a lie (since she'd already told me her son was a deacon!)   We got up and walked out—and Grant said something like.. "ONLY THE NON-BELIEVERS WILL LEAVE–WE MUST PRAY FOR THEM NOW!"  I wanted to turn around a give him the finger, but just kept walking.

He got his comeuppance a few years later.  You can read about it on his wiki-page.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._V._Grant

Do I believe in faith healing?  You betch'a.. thru prayer.  But not thru some human who takes from the poor to make himself rich.

Anyhoo… all that to let you know that I resent being compared to anyone in THAT video.  My oldest sis and I disagree—they are members of a very charismatic, faith-healing, Benny-Hinn loving church.  Whatever floats their boat, but it doesn't mine.  On facebook, I joined "Journey through the Bible"… a site that starts at Genesis and ends with Revelations.  I've never read the Bible front to back, and decided before I die, I'm going to!  I learned a lot of verses when I was younger, did Bible drills, etc., but reading the Bible from cover-to-cover is on my bucket list.  Been doing this for months, and we're in Deuteronomy.   For the 1st time in my life, I wasn't bored to death by who-begat-who—-I just wish ALL, from the time of Adam and Eve and Noah, had kept records like that, then I would at least know most of my family tree.  I just know bits and pieces now.

Even though I don't go to church right now, I AM studying the Bible and loving it!   Also, in the past year, I've learned to pray.  I mean REALLY pray, on my knees and sincerely.  God's still working in my life—He's determined to make me a GOOD Christian before all is said and done. =)

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics