The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The difference of a year

Forums General Melanoma Community The difference of a year

Participant

I have a bit of guilt for some reason.  My treatment has been miraculous.  For some reason God wanted me spared.  I am sharing this in the hopes that I can give others hopes in what they are facing.  Below are two PET/CT scans.  One was from December 2017.  After that scan, many of my tumors began growing 2cm per two weeks.  It just started going crazy.    I was given The nivo/opdivo pair for 4 treatments.  I was able to take all four.  Since then I've been on opdivo every two weeks.   I am almost clear although they will keep me on opdivo for one more year.   My doctor said that when he saw me that he didn't have hope for me because it is common that cancer gets to a certain point and then there is just no time for the treatments to work.  By the grace of God my tumors didn't grow where it would have killed me faster.   My lung tumor got to a size of 12 cm.  It is now 2.7(or near there).  First is the Dec. 2017 Scan, Next is the Nov. 17 2018 scan.

Please fight and don't give up and keep trying.  And thank you for this board.  It wasn't until I cam here that I found others with stage 4.

Dec. 2017  —————————- Last Year

CT Chest:

Lungs: Interval enlargement of the right lower lobe mass, measuring 6.1 x 7.1 x 8.2 cm, previously 6.9 x 7.4 cm. The mass abutting the left diaphragm.

Increased left basilar atelectasis.

Additional 8 mm nodule in the right lower lobe.

Airway: Patent

Pleura: No pleural effusion or pneumothorax.

Thoracic aorta and great vessels: No dissection or aneurysm.

Pulmonary arteries: Nonenlarged. No central pulmonary embolus.

Heart and pericardium: There are several enlarged pericardial lymph node masses.

Lymph nodes: Enlarged mass in the right infrahilar region.

Chest wall: There is a 3.5 cm mass in the anterior left chest wall.

Thoracic spine: No definite fracture.

CT Abdomen:

Liver: Multiple low-attenuation lesion in the liver, likely cysts. There is an enlarging 0.9 cm mass in the anterior peritoneum adjacent to the liver capsule.

Spleen: Unremarkable.

Pancreas: Enlarging mass in the head of the pancreas.

Gallbladder: CBD stent in place. There is gas in the gallbladder. There is pneumobilia.

Adrenal glands: Enlarging mass in the left adrenal gland. New mass in the right adrenal gland.

Kidneys: Multiple enlarging masses in the bilateral perinephric fat and along the bilateral Gerota fascia.

Several peritoneal/ mesenteric masses are also seen. The largest one is in the anterior lower abdomen measuring up to 3.1 cm

The abdominal aorta is normal in caliber.

There is a left retroperitoneal mass adjacent to the left iliacus muscle.

Postsurgical change in the sigmoid colon. There are multiple sigmoid diverticula.

November 2018   — Last month —————————————

FINDINGS:
      Head and Neck: There is no abnormal FDG uptake. There is physiologic uptake in the oropharynx.

Thorax: There is uptake with maximum SUV 4.28 (previously 3.5) within the 2.7 x 2.7 cm left lower lobe lung mass (previously 3.1 x 3.4 cm).

Abdomen/Pelvis: There is a 10 mm left adrenal gland nodule with some internal density which could be calcification. Maximum SUV is 2.76 which is similar to background liver activity at 2.7.

Musculoskeletal: There is no abnormal FDG uptake.

Additional CT findings: There are surgical clips in the left neck. There are a few lymph nodes in the left side of the neck which do not demonstrate increased uptake. These are unchanged in size. The bile duct stent is again seen with associated
      pneumobilia. There is postoperative change in the distal colon.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Congrats!!!  May you soon be NED!  Enjoy!!!  c

GeoTony
          Participant

Superb news, gives all something to aim for

Hukill
            Participant

Congrats! I had 7 mets in my lungs and in 14 months they were gone. Stayed on nivo for another year and had my last dose in August. Had second scans since stopping on 11/29 and still clear. 

marta010
              Participant

Spectacular results!  Thanks for sharing – have a wonderful holiday!

MarkR
                Participant

Congratulations on amazing progress

having had my scans today this is exactly what I needed to read!!

kb9718
                  Participant

Thats incredible thank you for sharing! I am so happy for you and your future merry christmas !

caman
                      Participant

Amazing story.  Congrats!!..keep us posted

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics