The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

tests?

Participant
      last tested with CT scans at 6 months o fimmo. NED. 3c.

i will end immo therapy in 3 months.

what test are necessary in years to come and how often?

For instance i had an MRI for brain at initial testing prior to immo but not a 6 months and it is not on the menu in the future.

so what test do i need and how often after immo and of course before any re-occurence?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Daisy2018
        Participant
          I m not an expert by any means.
          Your MRI was good?!
          I would do CAT/PET every 6 months.
          Not sure if health insurances cover more often. They do cover of you have symptoms. If you feel anything weird than you would ask for a scan. If you have headaches ask for an MRI.
          Best regards.
            tkoss
            Participant
              what the diff between CAT and PET, melanoma wise?
              MelMel
              Participant
                CAT is the old version of CT scan. Basically, a CT scan measures the number and size of tumors. PET scan uses sugar uptake to show activity of the tumor as in necrotic (dead) or alive (active). When contemplating stopping treatment, they use PET scans. For brain and bone tumors, they prefer an MRI.
                Hope this simple explaination is helpful.
                Melanie
                tkoss
                Participant
                  BTW MRI good.

so what is the thinking, if you don’t show a tumor with CT(CAT)? Then you don’t have any brain mets so no need to test?

there is a plan for my having another CT before ending treatment but no MRI.
                  Frankly i am a hell of a lot more concerned about a brain met(aka tumor) than an inflamed lymph node.

Daisy2018
                  Participant
                    I would think the doctors response for MRI would be you don’t have any Mets in your brain let’s do CAT/Pet unless you have some symptoms like headaches vision changes.
                    I m stage 3c and plan to start immunotherapy treatment. I had PET. My oncologist asked me if I have any headache or bones pain. He would offer MRI I think if had concerns. I would think.
                    I look at Positive lymph nodes as still metastatic disease rather than inflammation. I do understand what you mean though when we compare brain Mets and Positive lymph nodes. Brain tumors sounds terrifying.
              Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics