The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Testing for NY-ESO-1 Expression and its recent correlation to the efficacy of Ippilumimab

Forums General Melanoma Community Testing for NY-ESO-1 Expression and its recent correlation to the efficacy of Ippilumimab

Participant

I am new to the MRF and constantly up late at night searching for any type of enlightenment and encouragement in my husband's battle with this disease.   But alas!!!!  In all of my research over the past two and a half months, I have learned so much but can still seem to find no clear resolution as to the most effective adjuvant protocol.  My husband first noticed a lesion in the anterior submandibular area (near his jawline) in Level II of his cervical region (so upper neck at jawline) in 2003.

I am new to the MRF and constantly up late at night searching for any type of enlightenment and encouragement in my husband's battle with this disease.   But alas!!!!  In all of my research over the past two and a half months, I have learned so much but can still seem to find no clear resolution as to the most effective adjuvant protocol.  My husband first noticed a lesion in the anterior submandibular area (near his jawline) in Level II of his cervical region (so upper neck at jawline) in 2003.  Due to a primary care physician's casual dismissal of the lesion in the Fall of that year, he was not officially diagnosed by a dermatologist with melanoma until March 2007 after obtaining the results of a punch biopsy.  At which time he was diagnosed as Stage1b – with lentigo maligna melanoma in a non ulcerated form, possessing a Breslow depth of 1.35mm, a mitotic rate of 2, and finally a Clark Level of IV.  He received a WLE and a SLN biopsy later in March 2007.  He received NED on the two nodes thought to be the sentinel draining nodes.  After a follow up resection, he was confirmed to have clear margins, which exceeded the recommended 1cm.  Fast forward to July of 2011 when he noticed a slight enlargement of a lymph node within a few centimeters of his original tumor site.  After a CAT scan and FNA, we learned that his melanoma had returned consequently escalating his stage to 3b at minimum.   He proceeded with a modified radical neck dissection in August to remove 39 nodes in Levels I through V and is recovering nicely.   In the interim since the surgery and after numerous requests for ALL of his records including PATHOLOGY, we learned through the reports of the lymphoscintography procedure from the SLN biopsy that this node was most likely left in since the 2007 surgery as the background counts reported were much higher than the recommended 1/3 ratio of the initial in vivo count.  Ironically the node that he discovered was in the intraparotid area, which we later learned was cited on the report as a problem area from which to extract nodes. THANK THE GOOD LORD!!!  Only the one palpable node came back positive with the pathologist reporting 60% of the node to contain melanoma and no extracapsular involvement was confirmed.  We are considering an ippi trial but I have some questions as to the efficacy of the ippi if one tests positive for a preexisting antibody to the NY-ESO-1 antigen.  Given that my husband is a testicular cancer survivor of 20 years, I was particularly curious as this antigen is a cancer testis antigen and expresses in over 50% of cancerous tissues but not in normal tissues other than the testis in fetal stages.  Given that his bout with testicular cancer might have resulted in a subsequent antibody development coupled with the recent discovery of a reduced effectiveness of Ippi on those patients possessing this antibody, I am itching to determine if he is expressing this antigen.  If not, then has he developed the antibody?  We are reluctant to proceed with the Ippi given its toxicities if his benefit will most likely be reduced. Has anyone here been tested for this expression and where?  If so, did you proceed with the Ippi and was it effective?  I have seen some research of late (literally only published on Oct. 4 2011) that states that there is some question as to the degree of efficacy on Ippi patients who possess this antibody prior to the start of the drug.  My inclination is that these may be some of the "late responders"..just a notion?.  It is interesting to note the tumor antigen specific correlations with all of the current treatments available – Ippi, IFN a, and others.  Also, I have read of a tumor specific expression that correlates to the success ratio of Interferon.  Has anyone had this test run?  Has anyone ventured "down under" to try the current vaccine trials by Oncovex?  All feedback is welcome!!!  

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

My Mother completed Yervoy in July and tested after for a clinical trial CDX-1401 at Mount Sinai in Miami Beach. It is a Phase 1/11,  Study of CDX-1401 in Patients with Malignancies known to express NY-ESO-1.  However, she does not have the expression.  She is Braf and C-Kit negative as well. I know that this trial is also going in Hunterville, North Carolina:

Carolina BioOncology Institute

704-947-6599 Ext. 103: Jahleen Byers  [email protected]  / John Powderly, MD Principle Investigator

Maybe you can contact them for more information in regards to NY-ESO-1. My Mother has a very rare melanoma, Mucosal Melanoma. I hope this information can help you. 

Warm regards to you and yourhusband.

Wendy

PBJ
            Participant

Thanks for the information Wendy!!  How was your Mother's response to Yervoy?  My husband is negative for Braf as well.  Since he does not have the mucosal variety, but rather lentigo maligna melanoma he would most likely not be C-kit either.  Since my husband has had the tumor in his lymph node removed, he is technically NED so he is not eligible for the clinical trial on the CDX-1401.  I did call the Huntersville Clinic to see if they are able to run the test to determine the expression but apparently they are not equipped with that test.  They send all of their cartridges off.  I was just hoping to find a laboratory locally that could run the test to determine the NY-ESO-1 expression as well as its subsequent antibody expression if such should exist.  CMC and Celligent are not equipped to run that test either.  I will keep searching.  I hope your Mom is doing well.  Did she have positive results since her Yervoy completion?  I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers!! 

PBJ
              Participant

Thanks for the information Wendy!!  How was your Mother's response to Yervoy?  My husband is negative for Braf as well.  Since he does not have the mucosal variety, but rather lentigo maligna melanoma he would most likely not be C-kit either.  Since my husband has had the tumor in his lymph node removed, he is technically NED so he is not eligible for the clinical trial on the CDX-1401.  I did call the Huntersville Clinic to see if they are able to run the test to determine the expression but apparently they are not equipped with that test.  They send all of their cartridges off.  I was just hoping to find a laboratory locally that could run the test to determine the NY-ESO-1 expression as well as its subsequent antibody expression if such should exist.  CMC and Celligent are not equipped to run that test either.  I will keep searching.  I hope your Mom is doing well.  Did she have positive results since her Yervoy completion?  I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers!! 

PBJ
                Participant

PBJ
                  Participant

Wendy, thanks so much for the information.  I hope your Mom is doing better and she has responded to the Yervoy.  My husband is also BRAF negative and I am doubtful that he would test for the C-kit expression since he has a lentigo maligna variety as opposed to the mucosal subtype.  Since my husband's intranodal tumor has been surgically resected, he is not a candidate for the CDX-1401 trial as we are primarily searching for the most effective adjuvant therapy.  I did call the laboratory in Huntersville to arrange a test to determine the NY-ESO-1 expression and possibly that of its antibody should it exist.  Unfortunately, they were unable to perform this test.  Jahleen indicated that they send all of their tests off to determine these results.  BUT I really appreciate the lead.  I will keep searching for a local facility that could provide this test.  I will keep your Mom in my thoughts and prayers!!   How is she doing since her July completion of Yervoy?  I hope well!!   Thanks again!!

PBJ
                    Participant

Wendy, thanks so much for the information.  I hope your Mom is doing better and she has responded to the Yervoy.  My husband is also BRAF negative and I am doubtful that he would test for the C-kit expression since he has a lentigo maligna variety as opposed to the mucosal subtype.  Since my husband's intranodal tumor has been surgically resected, he is not a candidate for the CDX-1401 trial as we are primarily searching for the most effective adjuvant therapy.  I did call the laboratory in Huntersville to arrange a test to determine the NY-ESO-1 expression and possibly that of its antibody should it exist.  Unfortunately, they were unable to perform this test.  Jahleen indicated that they send all of their tests off to determine these results.  BUT I really appreciate the lead.  I will keep searching for a local facility that could provide this test.  I will keep your Mom in my thoughts and prayers!!   How is she doing since her July completion of Yervoy?  I hope well!!   Thanks again!!

PBJ
                      Participant

WendyPam
                      Participant

My Mother completed Yervoy in July and tested after for a clinical trial CDX-1401 at Mount Sinai in Miami Beach. It is a Phase 1/11,  Study of CDX-1401 in Patients with Malignancies known to express NY-ESO-1.  However, she does not have the expression.  She is Braf and C-Kit negative as well. I know that this trial is also going in Hunterville, North Carolina:

704-947-6599 Ext. 103: Jahleen Byers  [email protected]  / John Powderly, MD Principle Investigator

Maybe you can contact them for more information in regards to NY-ESO-1. My Mother has a very rare melanoma, Mucosal Melanoma. I hope this information can help you. 

Wendy

WendyPam
                        Participant

Wendy

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

PBJ, welcome to our forum. Testing for NY-ESO-1 is unusual, but I think that some people here have had the test. However, I don't know if any have had the test in relation to the possible efficacy of ipi.

I would just like to make some comments about treatments in general. Although ipi (now called Yervoy) is a valuable new treatment, neither it nor any current therapy is a guaranteed cure for metastatic melanoma. It is also very difficult to predict who will respond to what treatment.

Research is advancing quickly, but this cancer is usually able to outsmart the effects anything that we have. However, a small number of people have been able to achieve NED (no evidence of disease) for a very long time.

These are some treatments that show promise and are worth looking at, depending on eligibility criteria and availability: GM-CSF (Leukine) and surgery when needed, Yervoy, BRAF and similar inhibitors, IL-2, and anti PD-1 (MDX-1106). However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the option that may give suitable patients the best chance of achieving a durable remission.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

PBJ
                              Participant

Yes, Frank!!  I agree with you on the adoptive cell transfer theories as well as the dendritic vaccines!!  My husband is BRAF negative so Vemurafenib is not an option.  I too have read extensively about the granulyte macrophage colony stimulating factor and its consequence to the cytotoxic t cells in melanoma.  I feel this is very promising, but thus far I have not been able to locate a clinical trial for Stage 3b patients in the U.S.  I know ECOG conducted an 800+ patient trial to determine the efficacy of GM-CSF as an adjuvant therapy but they are awaiting results.  Do you know of any trials that are open in Australia?  Or a website that I can search for trials in Australia?  Interestingly enough, I know you must be so proud of your fellow Aussies as it is my opinion that your docs/researchers are leading the way in discovering viable antigen tumor specific therapies for this disease!  I like you am hesitant to believe that one drug that signals only one pathway can slow down the progression of a disease that is known to link directly to the immune system and its numerous signalling pathways.  Also, we are yet to see the long term autologous effects of the stimulation of the apoptotic phase of the cell division.  I really appreciate your reply as you seem to be a kindred spirit as a "research junkie"!!  Please share any other theories that you might have as I know you have been at this much longer than I.  Thanks!! 

PBJ
                                Participant

Yes, Frank!!  I agree with you on the adoptive cell transfer theories as well as the dendritic vaccines!!  My husband is BRAF negative so Vemurafenib is not an option.  I too have read extensively about the granulyte macrophage colony stimulating factor and its consequence to the cytotoxic t cells in melanoma.  I feel this is very promising, but thus far I have not been able to locate a clinical trial for Stage 3b patients in the U.S.  I know ECOG conducted an 800+ patient trial to determine the efficacy of GM-CSF as an adjuvant therapy but they are awaiting results.  Do you know of any trials that are open in Australia?  Or a website that I can search for trials in Australia?  Interestingly enough, I know you must be so proud of your fellow Aussies as it is my opinion that your docs/researchers are leading the way in discovering viable antigen tumor specific therapies for this disease!  I like you am hesitant to believe that one drug that signals only one pathway can slow down the progression of a disease that is known to link directly to the immune system and its numerous signalling pathways.  Also, we are yet to see the long term autologous effects of the stimulation of the apoptotic phase of the cell division.  I really appreciate your reply as you seem to be a kindred spirit as a "research junkie"!!  Please share any other theories that you might have as I know you have been at this much longer than I.  Thanks!! 

lhaley
                                  Participant

The results with the GMCSF trial info came out last years ASCO. The results did not show any significance showing the results.  There were 4 arms.  2 had the dendritic vaccines and you had to be hla 0201.  The other arms included just the gmcsf or a placebo.  (I was in part of that trial and once I recurred they did disclose my info)

There are still some Doctors out there prescribing off label but isn't heard about as much.  For quite a while it was on the board talked about lately but with the last results much quieter.  As with all drugs it does happen for someone but is it just that the person would have done well or did it actually work.  

I do think they are now trying the GMCSF with a combo with Ippi in a few trials in the New York or Mass area.  This is for those that have currently active disease.  

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

The results with the GMCSF trial info came out last years ASCO. The results did not show any significance showing the results.  There were 4 arms.  2 had the dendritic vaccines and you had to be hla 0201.  The other arms included just the gmcsf or a placebo.  (I was in part of that trial and once I recurred they did disclose my info)

There are still some Doctors out there prescribing off label but isn't heard about as much.  For quite a while it was on the board talked about lately but with the last results much quieter.  As with all drugs it does happen for someone but is it just that the person would have done well or did it actually work.  

I do think they are now trying the GMCSF with a combo with Ippi in a few trials in the New York or Mass area.  This is for those that have currently active disease.  

Linda

lhaley
                                      Participant

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

As far as I know, the most comprehensive site for all clinical trials around the world
                                          is http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. I doubt if there are any better websites available.

Here are the trials that include GM-CSF at the moment:
                                          http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=GM-CSF+melanoma+&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

Although melanoma vaccines have a lot of potential in theory, there has been little in
                                          the way of positive results so far. However, the following article is encouraging:
                                          http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110602091834.htm

I think that it is important for patients to have definite treatment plans in mind
                                          with options that may be possible. So, if one treatment doesn't work I think that it is
                                          wise to have a plan B, plan C, etc.

I started reading about melanoma in early 2007, and there have been a lot of
                                          advancements since then. However, the big problem is that melanoma is much more devious
                                          than we imagine as it seems to actively overcome nearly all attempts to stop metastasis.
                                          I feel that stopping metastasis is the key to treatment success.

Thanks for your kind words.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

As far as I know, the most comprehensive site for all clinical trials around the world
                                            is http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. I doubt if there are any better websites available.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=GM-CSF+melanoma+&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

Although melanoma vaccines have a lot of potential in theory, there has been little in
                                            the way of positive results so far. However, the following article is encouraging:

I think that it is important for patients to have definite treatment plans in mind
                                            with options that may be possible. So, if one treatment doesn't work I think that it is

advancements since then. However, the big problem is that melanoma is much more devious
                                            than we imagine as it seems to actively overcome nearly all attempts to stop metastasis.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                            Participant

Frank from Australia

PBJ
                                              Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                              Participant

PBJ, welcome to our forum. Testing for NY-ESO-1 is unusual, but I think that some people here have had the test. However, I don't know if any have had the test in relation to the possible efficacy of ipi.

I would just like to make some comments about treatments in general. Although ipi (now called Yervoy) is a valuable new treatment, neither it nor any current therapy is a guaranteed cure for metastatic melanoma. It is also very difficult to predict who will respond to what treatment.

Research is advancing quickly, but this cancer is usually able to outsmart the effects anything that we have. However, a small number of people have been able to achieve NED (no evidence of disease) for a very long time.

These are some treatments that show promise and are worth looking at, depending on eligibility criteria and availability: GM-CSF (Leukine) and surgery when needed, Yervoy, BRAF and similar inhibitors, IL-2, and anti PD-1 (MDX-1106). However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the option that may give suitable patients the best chance of achieving a durable remission.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

AlisonC
                                                  Participant
                                                    Hi,

I was tested for NY-ESO-1 following my resection for stage IIIB in 2001. I was NY-ESO-1 positive so had a vaccine trial that was an immune stimulant + the NY-ESO protein. I have been out of the Mel loop for the last 18 months so it was actually a learning curve for me reading your post about it’s interaction with more recent treatments. Just wanted to let you know I had the NY testing but it was as part of a clinical trial not for prognosis….and it was quite a while ago so I don’t think it helps you much. I hope you find more helpful info from others….sorry I can’t offer more.

AlisonC
                                                    NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi,

I was tested for NY-ESO-1 following my resection for stage IIIB in 2001. I was NY-ESO-1 positive so had a vaccine trial that was an immune stimulant + the NY-ESO protein. I have been out of the Mel loop for the last 18 months so it was actually a learning curve for me reading your post about it’s interaction with more recent treatments. Just wanted to let you know I had the NY testing but it was as part of a clinical trial not for prognosis….and it was quite a while ago so I don’t think it helps you much. I hope you find more helpful info from others….sorry I can’t offer more.

AlisonC
                                                      NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi,

AlisonC
                                                        NED since 2001

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics