The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Terra (Derek Stage IV)

Forums General Melanoma Community Terra (Derek Stage IV)

Participant

Hi,

I am hoping someone will have some advice about a 2nd surgery in Derek`s lungs and a possible spot on his bone. 

Hi,

I am hoping someone will have some advice about a 2nd surgery in Derek`s lungs and a possible spot on his bone. 

His PET/CT in the summer showed lots of uptake in a right hilar node that had lite up 2.5 years ago – so it is finally confirmed mel.  We have been on DTIC – 3 injections (randomized in the IL-21 vs DTIC trial in TO) – scan results sometime this week will tell us if DTIC has done anything – but a 3rd opinion from a surgeon says it is resectable with 5% possibility of complications because nodes might be attached to vessels and then a lung would have to be removed – however Derek has none of the predictors so we are thinking of having the surgery in January – thinking that is the best option – any advice…

Also, we are concerned about an unknown spot on his rib if it one day turns out to be melanoma (it lite up on the pet and ct but not on the bone scan or ultrasound), they do not know what it is but onc says it will probably in the long run be melanoma…anyone know what options we will have for the bone ie treatment, surgery…

I`m sorry for asking questions and yet not responding very much to others posts – I seem to have little energy between work, kids, and trips to TO, and Derek and I are having a difficult time together as well – I am sure this is not new to anyone here.  Thank-you for understanding.

Terra

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Terra –   One of the best things about this place is that you do what you can when you can. Don't worry about not responding.

I don't know a whole lot about lung mets, but it surgery always sounds the best – cut that problem out and move on.  The rib issue may turn out to be a false positive – I sure hope so.

I know this is a lame post – but at least your post will move to the top. Yesterday was a busy day!

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Terra –   One of the best things about this place is that you do what you can when you can. Don't worry about not responding.

I don't know a whole lot about lung mets, but it surgery always sounds the best – cut that problem out and move on.  The rib issue may turn out to be a false positive – I sure hope so.

I know this is a lame post – but at least your post will move to the top. Yesterday was a busy day!

Fen

Linda/Kentucky
            Participant

I can't give you any advice on surgery due to my husband not being a candidate for that.  He almost immediately was at stage IV when we found out about his melanoma.  They were going to do radical neck surgery but when they did the CT found it in his femur bones so that cx that and went to whole body tx.  My only advice is to research–research–research.  Even though I am a RN when I go for Dr. visits it helps to know the mumbo~jumbo they talk about and ASK questions you are your husbands advocate not the DR's and some oncologist don't take the aggressive route that you may want.  Hope you find some answers and I will keep you along with the others in my prayers for peace,guidance and understanding.  Keep us updated.

Linda/Kentucky

Linda/Kentucky
              Participant

I can't give you any advice on surgery due to my husband not being a candidate for that.  He almost immediately was at stage IV when we found out about his melanoma.  They were going to do radical neck surgery but when they did the CT found it in his femur bones so that cx that and went to whole body tx.  My only advice is to research–research–research.  Even though I am a RN when I go for Dr. visits it helps to know the mumbo~jumbo they talk about and ASK questions you are your husbands advocate not the DR's and some oncologist don't take the aggressive route that you may want.  Hope you find some answers and I will keep you along with the others in my prayers for peace,guidance and understanding.  Keep us updated.

Linda/Kentucky

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics