The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

temozolmide

Forums General Melanoma Community temozolmide

Participant
      Can anyone tell me if they have taken temozolmide and whether it has been successful
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

I found out it is the same as dacarbazine and response is low, like 10%.  They could show me any studies with it either.  I chose to not take it.

Cooper
          Participant

I found out it is the same as dacarbazine and response is low, like 10%.  They could show me any studies with it either.  I chose to not take it.

Cooper
            Participant

RJoeyB
                Participant

I haven't used temozolomide (a.k.a.).  However, for clarification, temozolomide and dacarbazine are actually different chemotherapies, both in a class of drugs known as "alkylating agents", but chemicallty different.  But yes, both have a low response rate for melanoma.  You'll also see temozolomide used in combination with other agents for biochemotherapy ("biochemo") regimens for melanoma, typically along with interleukin-2 (IL-2), interferon-alpha, and other combinations of "traditional" chemotherapy drugs — I've heard of various combinations that include two or three of temozolomide, cisplatin, carboplatin, dacarbazine, and vinblastine, among others.

RJoeyB
                  Participant

…a.k.a. Temodar…,

accidentally deleted that.

RJoeyB
                    Participant

…a.k.a. Temodar…,

RJoeyB
                      Participant

…a.k.a. Temodar…,

RJoeyB
                        Participant

I haven't used temozolomide (a.k.a.).  However, for clarification, temozolomide and dacarbazine are actually different chemotherapies, both in a class of drugs known as "alkylating agents", but chemicallty different.  But yes, both have a low response rate for melanoma.  You'll also see temozolomide used in combination with other agents for biochemotherapy ("biochemo") regimens for melanoma, typically along with interleukin-2 (IL-2), interferon-alpha, and other combinations of "traditional" chemotherapy drugs — I've heard of various combinations that include two or three of temozolomide, cisplatin, carboplatin, dacarbazine, and vinblastine, among others.

RJoeyB
                          Participant

Tim–MRF

Temozolomide does not generate large response rates in melanoma, but that is not to say it has no role at all. Sometimes it can knock tumors back temporarily and allow time for other drugs to kick in. I have heard of it being used in patients with brain mets so they would qualify for clinical trials.

I also spoke with a Stage IV patient with autoimmune disease and no BRAF mutation. The first disqualified them from immunotherapies and the second from BRAF therapies. Chemo was the only option.

And some small group of people have good responses.

The decision about taking this chemotherapy should be part of a larger conversation. Certainly better drugs exist now for first-line therapy under normal circumstances.  

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Temozolomide does not generate large response rates in melanoma, but that is not to say it has no role at all. Sometimes it can knock tumors back temporarily and allow time for other drugs to kick in. I have heard of it being used in patients with brain mets so they would qualify for clinical trials.

I also spoke with a Stage IV patient with autoimmune disease and no BRAF mutation. The first disqualified them from immunotherapies and the second from BRAF therapies. Chemo was the only option.

The decision about taking this chemotherapy should be part of a larger conversation. Certainly better drugs exist now for first-line therapy under normal circumstances.  

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

Great points Tim.  I also think about the scenario right now where there are people waiting for the approval of pembrolizumab and where temozolomide (or other chemotherapy drugs) might be a good "bridge" option to control or reduce tumor burden for even a couple of months while waiting for the approval and then availability.  As you said, part of a larger conversation and plan.  Especially with all of the changes to melanoma treatment and management these past few years, the role of timing is often underestimated and difficult to manage — I've been playing the timing game for 4 years now and we threw the roadmap away a long time ago.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                    Participant

Great points Tim.  I also think about the scenario right now where there are people waiting for the approval of pembrolizumab and where temozolomide (or other chemotherapy drugs) might be a good "bridge" option to control or reduce tumor burden for even a couple of months while waiting for the approval and then availability.  As you said, part of a larger conversation and plan.  Especially with all of the changes to melanoma treatment and management these past few years, the role of timing is often underestimated and difficult to manage — I've been playing the timing game for 4 years now and we threw the roadmap away a long time ago.

Joe

Cooper
                                      Participant

However, there isn't any scientific evidence that it works.  There needs to be a trial to see if it does. It is super expensive too!

Cooper
                                        Participant

However, there isn't any scientific evidence that it works.  There needs to be a trial to see if it does. It is super expensive too!

Cooper
                                          Participant

RJoeyB
                                            Participant

Joe

hannahcopeland1
                                            Participant

i took 4 rounds of temodar this summer after WBR and during ipi infusions. i have an almost incurable brain disease called lepotmeningeal, but it has almost dissappeared! i dont know if it is because of the combination or one of them individually, but i think it helped. 

hannahcopeland1
                                              Participant

i took 4 rounds of temodar this summer after WBR and during ipi infusions. i have an almost incurable brain disease called lepotmeningeal, but it has almost dissappeared! i dont know if it is because of the combination or one of them individually, but i think it helped. 

hannahcopeland1
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics