The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Temodar vs Ipi?

Forums General Melanoma Community Temodar vs Ipi?

Participant

Husband woke up this am with severe abdominal swelling. Onc says this is caused by the cancer spreading too fast for the ipi to fight. He's thinking of switching us from ipi to Temodar. Says there is no literature on using them together.

We were in ER over the weekend, they did not properly read the labs and did a total misdiagnosis of dehydration.

Things are looking very grim. Thoughts from anyone here? mm

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Maureen038
        Participant

Michele,

I don't have any advice on the drugs, but I wanted you to know that you and your husband are in my prayers. I'm so so sorry you are having to deal with so much. I sent you a private message. If you need to talk, let me know and I will send you my number. Hugs!

Maureen

Maureen038
          Participant

Michele,

I don't have any advice on the drugs, but I wanted you to know that you and your husband are in my prayers. I'm so so sorry you are having to deal with so much. I sent you a private message. If you need to talk, let me know and I will send you my number. Hugs!

Maureen

Maureen038
            Participant

Michele,

Maureen

Michelem
                Participant

Thank you, Maureen!

Michelem
                  Participant

Thank you, Maureen!

Michelem
                    Participant

Thank you, Maureen!

Michelem
                      Participant

I read your profile, and I see we're not the only ones going through such a lot! We just missed an ipi/novilumab trial, but are now supposedly set for a novi trial that begins later in March. However, the disease is progressing so rapidly that our doc is not sure it is likely to be effective, which is why he wants to move ahead with the Temodar now.

In any case, everyone on this forum has a serious story to tell. I only wish we could all turn out to be strong survivors  . . . mm

Maureen038
                        Participant

I hope things are getting better and I hope Temodar works great for your husband. A lot of us are in this painful journey that truly sucks, but it's wonderful getting support here. I go to a caregiver's support group too and I pray a lot!! Wishing you the best Michele!

Maureen

Maureen038
                          Participant

I hope things are getting better and I hope Temodar works great for your husband. A lot of us are in this painful journey that truly sucks, but it's wonderful getting support here. I go to a caregiver's support group too and I pray a lot!! Wishing you the best Michele!

Maureen

Maureen038
                            Participant

Maureen

Michelem
                              Participant

I read your profile, and I see we're not the only ones going through such a lot! We just missed an ipi/novilumab trial, but are now supposedly set for a novi trial that begins later in March. However, the disease is progressing so rapidly that our doc is not sure it is likely to be effective, which is why he wants to move ahead with the Temodar now.

In any case, everyone on this forum has a serious story to tell. I only wish we could all turn out to be strong survivors  . . . mm

Michelem
                                Participant

ncdaniel
                                Participant

My wife had one dose of ipi followed by severe colitis cured by two doses of remicade (thank God for this ) that was her experience with remicade and Yervoy. After that she was a candidate for TIL and had cells grown but the cancer developed to much for implant of TIL cells so she is now doing three chemo drugs Temodar, cisplatin and vinblastin . She had one dose in early December and developed blood clots unrelated to Temodar but since she had brain mets  they were unable to use thinners for clot. MRI was done and mets were clear allowing use of thinner and she has had two more chemo rounds since and has scans next week. I believe  though unfounded that the Temodar and other chemo drugs cleared her brain mets. Also she had a new tumor growing on her back that was rapidly increasing in size and it started to shrink after the first round of chemo. Keep up the fight

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                  Participant

My wife had one dose of ipi followed by severe colitis cured by two doses of remicade (thank God for this ) that was her experience with remicade and Yervoy. After that she was a candidate for TIL and had cells grown but the cancer developed to much for implant of TIL cells so she is now doing three chemo drugs Temodar, cisplatin and vinblastin . She had one dose in early December and developed blood clots unrelated to Temodar but since she had brain mets  they were unable to use thinners for clot. MRI was done and mets were clear allowing use of thinner and she has had two more chemo rounds since and has scans next week. I believe  though unfounded that the Temodar and other chemo drugs cleared her brain mets. Also she had a new tumor growing on her back that was rapidly increasing in size and it started to shrink after the first round of chemo. Keep up the fight

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                    Participant

Daniel

Michelem
                                        Participant

Thank you, Daniel. I don't know about implant of TIL cells? What is that?

My husband is having lots of abdominal distension and inability to urinate . . . doc says the ipi is not keeping in front of the cancer so that is why he is trying temodar. We are afraid the liver is failing  . . . things seem very grim.  mm

Michelem
                                          Participant

My husband is having lots of abdominal distension and inability to urinate . . . doc says the ipi is not keeping in front of the cancer so that is why he is trying temodar. We are afraid the liver is failing  . . . things seem very grim.  mm

KRob
                                            Participant

I did use Temodar and it was effective on the 5 mets throughout my body. My 3 brain lesions were treated with gamma knife + craniotomy so I can't say if the drug affected them or not.

It sounds like it's worth a try for you husband to take it; you'll never know if you don't.

Here's hoping and praying for you that it works.

Karen

KRob
                                              Participant

I did use Temodar and it was effective on the 5 mets throughout my body. My 3 brain lesions were treated with gamma knife + craniotomy so I can't say if the drug affected them or not.

It sounds like it's worth a try for you husband to take it; you'll never know if you don't.

Karen

KRob
                                                Participant

Karen

Michelem
                                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics