The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Temodar – Severity of Side Effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Temodar – Severity of Side Effects

Participant

My dad has stage 4 melanoma. Initial diagnosis was found when finding two tumors in his brain – 2 craniotomies, WBR and gamma knife have been his treatment methods so far. They cannot find his original source and as of now do not see any other signs of melanoma in his brain or the rest of his body. Next set of whole body scans scheduled for end of March.

My dad has stage 4 melanoma. Initial diagnosis was found when finding two tumors in his brain – 2 craniotomies, WBR and gamma knife have been his treatment methods so far. They cannot find his original source and as of now do not see any other signs of melanoma in his brain or the rest of his body. Next set of whole body scans scheduled for end of March.

His Dr. gave him the option of taking Temodar as a "preventative" measure. He could either do a strong dose x number of days straight and then take a break or take a lighter dose daily for 30 days. Radiation was really rough on him and he's just now starting to feel better again (although still has trouble with eating due to the taste of food) Although we'd rather he not sit back and just wait for the cancer to show up again, he's hesitant about taking the Temador because he's worried about the side effects and how they will make him feel. For those of you taking/who have taken Temodar, what have your side effects consisted of and how bad? Also, what type of a dosing schedule were you on? Daily for a month straight or larger dose x number of days straight then break?

Thank you for any feedback – I'd really like him to "try" the Temodar but he's really worried about the potential side effects.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jackiewin
        Participant

My husand was on Temodar.  I don't remember the exact schedule, but it was not for the full month.  The side effects were minimal, just fatigue.  However, he did take an anti nauseau (?) pill a half hour before he took the Temodar.

Jackie W

jackiewin
          Participant

My husand was on Temodar.  I don't remember the exact schedule, but it was not for the full month.  The side effects were minimal, just fatigue.  However, he did take an anti nauseau (?) pill a half hour before he took the Temodar.

Jackie W

jackiewin
            Participant

Jackie W

kristine
              Participant

My husband actually started a 5 day dose of Temodar this past Thursday – He takes 300 mg in the evening (an anti-nausea 1/2 hour before) for 5 days – off 28 days and then begins the 5 days again.  He has some fatigue (however, has had that anyway, not sure if it is worse), and a little nausea.  Tonite was the last of his first five days – he seems pretty good.  Good luck to you and your family.

kristine
                Participant

My husband actually started a 5 day dose of Temodar this past Thursday – He takes 300 mg in the evening (an anti-nausea 1/2 hour before) for 5 days – off 28 days and then begins the 5 days again.  He has some fatigue (however, has had that anyway, not sure if it is worse), and a little nausea.  Tonite was the last of his first five days – he seems pretty good.  Good luck to you and your family.

kristine
                  Participant

kristine
                    Participant

kristine
                      Participant

kristine
                        Participant

kristine
                          Participant

My husband finished his first 5 day dose of 300 mg/day this evening.  He had a few incidences of nausea, and fatigue – but for the most part tolerated very well.  He will be off for 28 days and begin the 5 day 300/mg/day again.  It hasn't prevented him from any daily activities.  Good luck to you and your family and God Bless.

kristine
                            Participant

My husband finished his first 5 day dose of 300 mg/day this evening.  He had a few incidences of nausea, and fatigue – but for the most part tolerated very well.  He will be off for 28 days and begin the 5 day 300/mg/day again.  It hasn't prevented him from any daily activities.  Good luck to you and your family and God Bless.

azurliene
                                Participant
                                  Thank you all so much – re: those on the 5 day dosing schedule, does the nausea / fatigue go away almost immediately after the 5th dose? Thank you again so much – god bless
                                  azurliene
                                  Participant
                                    Thank you all so much – re: those on the 5 day dosing schedule, does the nausea / fatigue go away almost immediately after the 5th dose? Thank you again so much – god bless
                                    azurliene
                                    Participant
                                    kristine
                                    Participant

MeNDave
                                      Participant

My husband is currently taking Temodar pills, 42 days on and 14 off (160 mg).  He has been doing this since November, and the really big side effect has been fatigue.  He also takes anti-nausea pills 1/2 hour before his dose, then goes right to bed.  The first couple of days the nausea was persistent, but his body adjusted.  His appetite isn't what it was, but he has not lost any weight.

He is still working and enjoying life, and although it hasn't reduced to tumors, he does not have any new ones and he is stable.

Best wishes for the both of you,

Maria

MeNDave
                                        Participant

My husband is currently taking Temodar pills, 42 days on and 14 off (160 mg).  He has been doing this since November, and the really big side effect has been fatigue.  He also takes anti-nausea pills 1/2 hour before his dose, then goes right to bed.  The first couple of days the nausea was persistent, but his body adjusted.  His appetite isn't what it was, but he has not lost any weight.

He is still working and enjoying life, and although it hasn't reduced to tumors, he does not have any new ones and he is stable.

Maria

MeNDave
                                          Participant

Maria

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

I was on 300mg a day for 5 days in every 28 back in 2009. I had 2 anti-puke meds as well. If I didn't begin taking it the day before beginning Temodar I would puke my guts out…food seemed to liquify fast otherwise…and whatever went down…came up/ I was exhausted all the time. When I started "feeling normal" it was time to start Temodar again. I was on Temodar from July to March and then it stopped working. The docs at Mayo Clinic says it usually stops working in 6-7 months because melanoma outsmarts it. I think if he is NED it would probably work better had keeping it away.

I am in a anti pd-1 vaccine trial and not in the booster phase getting scans and MDX 1106 iv every 3 months as a preventative …..

LynnLuc
                                              Participant

I was on 300mg a day for 5 days in every 28 back in 2009. I had 2 anti-puke meds as well. If I didn't begin taking it the day before beginning Temodar I would puke my guts out…food seemed to liquify fast otherwise…and whatever went down…came up/ I was exhausted all the time. When I started "feeling normal" it was time to start Temodar again. I was on Temodar from July to March and then it stopped working. The docs at Mayo Clinic says it usually stops working in 6-7 months because melanoma outsmarts it. I think if he is NED it would probably work better had keeping it away.

I am in a anti pd-1 vaccine trial and not in the booster phase getting scans and MDX 1106 iv every 3 months as a preventative …..

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                    Participant

I can't type…"I think if he is NED it would probably work better AT keeping it away.

I am in a anti pd 1 vaccine trial and NOW in the booster phase….

LynnLuc
                                                      Participant

I can't type…"I think if he is NED it would probably work better AT keeping it away.

LynnLuc
                                                        Participant

KRob
                                                        Participant

I, too, was diagnosed Stage IV (known primary) with 2 brain lesions (+5 others in other locations). Chose gamma knife for first treatment then went on Temodar…started at 180 and quickly stepped up to maximum of 360 mg and stayed on it for 16 months. I responded quickly to the chemo and found it very easy to take with Zophran (anti-nausea med) 30 min before I took chemo. I also took it at night to sleep through the worst of the effects. Most noted reactions were fatigue, constipation, and mild nausea.

Surprisingly, the other lesions in my body (largest one in right lung) shrank until they could be surgically removed or disappeared completely. I have had one hitch since that time, but am currently maintaining N.E.D. status- that has been almost 7 yrs, 2005 since I was diagnosed. I'm glad that I chose and my doctor supported the decision to keep on attacking any remaining cancer cells with the almost year and a half of Temodar I took to do the job. (I liked to think of it as a poison for any stray cancer "rats" left in my body.

I hope and pray that your dad has the same results.

Karen

azurliene
                                                            Participant

Karen,

Thank you so much for your reply – I printed this and showed it to my Dad as an example. I know everyone experiences different levels of side effects, but I wishhe would at least give the drug a shot. So happy to hear you have had success with it and SO great to hear you are maintaining NED status! Wishing you continued success and goof health – thanks again!

Aften

azurliene
                                                              Participant

Karen,

Thank you so much for your reply – I printed this and showed it to my Dad as an example. I know everyone experiences different levels of side effects, but I wishhe would at least give the drug a shot. So happy to hear you have had success with it and SO great to hear you are maintaining NED status! Wishing you continued success and goof health – thanks again!

Aften

azurliene
                                                                Participant

Karen,

Aften

KRob
                                                                Participant

I, too, was diagnosed Stage IV (known primary) with 2 brain lesions (+5 others in other locations). Chose gamma knife for first treatment then went on Temodar…started at 180 and quickly stepped up to maximum of 360 mg and stayed on it for 16 months. I responded quickly to the chemo and found it very easy to take with Zophran (anti-nausea med) 30 min before I took chemo. I also took it at night to sleep through the worst of the effects. Most noted reactions were fatigue, constipation, and mild nausea.

Surprisingly, the other lesions in my body (largest one in right lung) shrank until they could be surgically removed or disappeared completely. I have had one hitch since that time, but am currently maintaining N.E.D. status- that has been almost 7 yrs, 2005 since I was diagnosed. I'm glad that I chose and my doctor supported the decision to keep on attacking any remaining cancer cells with the almost year and a half of Temodar I took to do the job. (I liked to think of it as a poison for any stray cancer "rats" left in my body.

Karen

KRob
                                                                  Participant

Karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics