The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taxol/Abraxane allergy question! (and more from OTBB)

Forums General Melanoma Community Taxol/Abraxane allergy question! (and more from OTBB)

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

(I have reposted this here from the off topic in hopes of further assistance) I know this is breast cancer, but it never hurts to ask!

7/31/2011
      9:03am

Dear All

(I have reposted this here from the off topic in hopes of further assistance) I know this is breast cancer, but it never hurts to ask!

7/31/2011
      9:03am

Dear All

My wife has Stage IV secondary breast cancer ( http://www.clairefaulkner.co.uk )

We have come all the way over from England as the NHS ( National Health Service ) back there have basically told her that there is nothing else they can do, to the Burzynski clinic here in Houston, Texas.

The doctors have put together a plan that comprises of Abraxane/Avastin and Tarceva. 

My wife is allergic to Taxol and i believe that the Abraxane is of the same family but composed differently, I would love to hear from anyone who is allergic to Taxol but has managed to have Abraxane and how they have found it.

Also trying to put my wife's mind at ease i would love to hear of other peoples stories regarding the combination of these drugs, their success rate and side effects. 

Many many thanks for taking the time to read this. 

Christopher.

(My response to the post:)

Hello Christopher:

I will re-post this for you on the main forum as this is the off topic forum. You will get more responses there. I also must tell you that this is not a breast cancer forum, but maybe someone will be able to assist you.

You are correct, Taxol and Abraxane are both Taxanes, but Abraxane uses no premeds as it does not contain the chemical cremaphor, which is made from pine trees which MANY people are highly allergic to.

A little more depth: Yes, Abraxane and Taxol are similar drugs, but Abraxane is further reacted with albumin (and a sugar molecule) so that the result is water soluble. Taxol by itself is not water soluble so it must be emulsified with Cremophor EL (which is highly refined castor oil ethoxylate). It is the Cremophor EL that people are allergic to which is why benadryl and decadron are given as premeds. Since Abraxane is self emulsifying, you do not need the premeds.

Michael

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics