The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TAFINLAR or Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community TAFINLAR or Zelboraf

Participant
      can anyone explain why just not prescribe TAFINLAR?
      TAFINLAR prescribed after Zelboraf?
      How do you know when Zelboraf stops working ?

Please do not send me for an answer to the treating doctor.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

If the Zelboraf was working the tummors should haveat aminimum stopped growig.  In most cases they do shrink and no neew tumors appear.  If new tumors appear after shrinkage then the Zelboraf has stopped working.

Golda_
            Participant

If I right understand, first taken Zelboraf, take it until it works. When it ceases to act – go to the new treatment: Tafinlar + Mekinist?

Thank you very much for your answer !

POW
              Participant

Zelboraf (from Genentech) and Tafinlar (from GSK) both inhibit the BRAF protein containing a V600 mutation. They are very similar drugs with nearly identical properties but they are made by different manufacturers. Mekinist (also from GSK) inhibits a different protein (MEK). Zelboraf was FDA approved first– about 2 years ago– while Tafinlar and Mekinist were FDA approved in July. 

Since they were developed by different, competing manufacturers, Genentech only did clinical trials on Zelboraf while GSK did clinical trials combining both Tafinlar and Mekinist. There have been no clinical trials of Zelboraf + Mekinist. Tafinlar + Mekinist has been shown to work in more people with fewer side effects than either Zelboraf or Tafinlar alone, especially if the patient did not receive any prior BRAF inhibitor treatment. 

If it was me and I had a choice, I would go for the Taflinar + Mekinist combo. However, as with Zelboraf, melanoma tends to become resistant to Tafinlar after 6-9 months so it's a good idea to have a "Plan B" in mind. That usually means an immune-based treatment like Yervoy or anti-PD1 (which is still in clinical trials). 

POW
                Participant

Zelboraf (from Genentech) and Tafinlar (from GSK) both inhibit the BRAF protein containing a V600 mutation. They are very similar drugs with nearly identical properties but they are made by different manufacturers. Mekinist (also from GSK) inhibits a different protein (MEK). Zelboraf was FDA approved first– about 2 years ago– while Tafinlar and Mekinist were FDA approved in July. 

Since they were developed by different, competing manufacturers, Genentech only did clinical trials on Zelboraf while GSK did clinical trials combining both Tafinlar and Mekinist. There have been no clinical trials of Zelboraf + Mekinist. Tafinlar + Mekinist has been shown to work in more people with fewer side effects than either Zelboraf or Tafinlar alone, especially if the patient did not receive any prior BRAF inhibitor treatment. 

If it was me and I had a choice, I would go for the Taflinar + Mekinist combo. However, as with Zelboraf, melanoma tends to become resistant to Tafinlar after 6-9 months so it's a good idea to have a "Plan B" in mind. That usually means an immune-based treatment like Yervoy or anti-PD1 (which is still in clinical trials). 

POW
                  Participant

Golda_
                    Participant

If I right understand, first taken Zelboraf, take it until it works. When it ceases to act – go to the new treatment: Tafinlar + Mekinist?

Golda_
                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

If the Zelboraf was working the tummors should haveat aminimum stopped growig.  In most cases they do shrink and no neew tumors appear.  If new tumors appear after shrinkage then the Zelboraf has stopped working.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics