The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar/Mekinist + Keytruda Concurrently?

Forums General Melanoma Community Tafinlar/Mekinist + Keytruda Concurrently?

Participant

Hi,

After 6+ months of progression-free treatment with Tafinlar/Mekinist, my wife's melanoma brain mets started multiplying and her onco moved her to Keytruda. 

However, the onco also left her on Tafinlar/Mekinist concurrent with the Keytruda – since we had leftover stock of the drugs (our insurer won't cover both).

Now, we're almost out of Tafinlar/Mekinist, and the Keytruda seems to be working.

I'm debating whether to seek out another source of Tafinalr/Mekinist (perhaps go to war with the insurer), or just take her off it altogether. I've found very little info online about the benefits of this combo.

Does anyone have experience with using Tafinalr/Mekinist + Keytruda concurrently, or encountered research supporting it?

Many thanks,

Steven

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jules
        Participant

Steven,

Looks like this triplet is being studied in a few clinical trials. Below is the info on tafinlar/Mekinist and Keytruda, while unfortunately it looks like your wife would be excluded from the trial itself because of prior systemic therapy, she may be able to get compassionate use. 

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02130466?term=Dabrafenib&rank=59

good luck! I am sorry that with everything you both have to deal with you'll have to deal with obstacles with insurance too.

sgreenberg
            Participant

Good stuff. Many thanks!

Bubbles
            Participant

Hang in there, here's the best data I have of late:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-whole-she-bang-immunotherapy-with.html  

wishing you my best, celeste

sgreenberg
                Participant

Many thanks, and best to you, too.

marta010
                Participant

Hi Steven – my husband has been on Tafinlar (single agent, couldn't tolerate MEK) for nearly 3 1/2 years.  Went almost 2 1/2 years without progression except for a new brain met.  After progression last Spring, he concurrently was on Tafinlar and Keytruda for 6 infusions.  He discontinued Keytruda after another brain edema episode and has only been on Tafinlar again since last September.  Last scans in Feb finally showed a positive response with a reduction in tumor activity and stability in his brain.  We are waiting until his next scans in May to decide next steps.  If things continue in the right direction, we may discontinue or reduce the Tafinlar as it is causing significant joint/muscle pain and resume Keytruda maintenance infusions on a less frequent schedule.  I don't have any specific research to point to but his oncology team at Mayo and U of M both felt the continuance of Tafinlar was a good line of second defense with the Keytruda.

Ann

sgreenberg
                    Participant

Hi Ann –

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad your husband is doing well. It seems like there's not really a set protocol for the combo of these treatments, eh? More according to the instinct of the onco. We're waiting to see what my wife's doc recommends.

In the meantime, the Keytruda (or Keytruda/Taf/Mek combo, who knows) seems to have arrested progression. Next RMI mid-May. Re. the joint pain – my wife got this from Keytruda, actually. 

Anyhow, I'll touch base down the road. Best wishes.

Steven

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics