The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taf/Mek experience

Forums General Melanoma Community Taf/Mek experience

Participant
      Hello everybody.
      I don’t really know why I writte here…
      I know there were a lot of comments to Taf/Mek treatment. I am just desperate seeking some positive energy to have the power to continue supporting my father..
      He is IV stage now, with big pain.. Lying on morphine in hospital now. His skin on tummy is full of tumors. One tenis ball size, one golf ball size, and many of painful metastases balls.. Really horrible to see that…
      He is after 6 rounds of keytruda treatment, with no results.. Today.. It’s his first day of Tafinlar/Mekinist therapy.. And somewhere deep inside I know it’s our last chance..
      He can’t sit, walk.. Due to big pain of tumors.. Hope this will finally help to shrink these painful tumors..
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        skfitz
        Participant

Try to hang  in there, even though it's so very hard! My husband is stage IV and had tumors everywhere including his brain. They were moving and growing fast and furiously and he didn't respond at all to his 3 months of ipi/nivo. Within 3 days of the Taf/Mek we saw visible reduction. Those pills are amazing! When they work, they feel like a true miracle. Obviously there are drawbacks in terms of side effects and the fact that they will one day stop working, but with a disease this ferocious all we can do is deal with the most immediate situation. I hope your father responds like my husband has. You should know within a week I would suspect. I hope you both get some much needed relief. 

-Shannon

Nympha
            Participant
              Dear Shannon,
              Thank you for your fast reply.. This is really something I need to read..
              I am so weak after disappointing with imunotherapy. Seeing him daily in so horrible pain. My hero.. We love him so much.. I watch your comments very often, and know your story. thank you for sharing it.. I know this treatment doesn’t have long durability.. But I really desire to see him in his good mood again.. After all four painful months..
              My best wishes to u and ur husband
              Veronika
            sister of patient
            Participant

Hi Nympha – I'm so sorry for the suffering your dad, you and your family must be going through!!! Just as Shannon described, Taf/Mek worked this way for my sister also – we saw those mets begin to shrink and disappear within days. She actually only had 2 weeks of full dosages before side effects interrupted (went on/off, skipped sometimes, etc.) but it was enough to do the job!!! It can happen for your dad this way too!!! Wishing you the very best outcomes!!!!

Barb

Nympha
                Participant
                  Dear Barb,
                  Thank you very much for sharing your story. Today we got ct results, and he has a lot of small nodules on his lungs 🙁 less than 1 cm.. But many of them..
                  I hope this will help him..
                  Best wishes to you and your sister..
                  Thanks
                DZnDef
                Participant

Taf/MEK worked very well for me and quite quickly.  At the time I started it, I had mets to my brain and lungs.  It worked very quickly for me starting in September of 2016.  I got my first resistant met in July of 2018 and am now looking into other possible options as both Keytruda and Opdivo have not worked for me.  While it works, Taf/MEK can work extremely well.  I am very grateful for tye extra healthy time I received.

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics