The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taboo Subject?? Cost of Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Taboo Subject?? Cost of Treatment

Participant

So we haven't even allowed ourselves to worry about what the drugs cost – in the end , who cares we are going to find a way to get therapy. But just cuious what the costs are of Nivo or Ipi?? Charles has a Medicare Supplement Plan through Healthnet – PPO…… of course he is in the damned "donut hole"!

Anyone have any insight to what health insurance coverage averages?? Vemurafenib + MEK, Keytruda, Ipi?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Fortunately I still have cobra insurance from where i used to work.

Costs are impossible. I get a report every 3 months. If I remember right each dose of keytruda was around 31 thousand. Each dose of nivo around 28. Then the hospital and insurance negotiate and it comes down a few thousand. 

The taf mek was about 10 thousand a month or was that just for one of them. I forget. 

Zelboraf was 10 thousand a month.

Ipi was about 120 thousand for all 4 doses.

No idea what insurance would cost. I hope to make it long enough to find out but I'm dreading it or maybe I'll be cured by then. Who knows.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Costs are impossible. I get a report every 3 months. If I remember right each dose of keytruda was around 31 thousand. Each dose of nivo around 28. Then the hospital and insurance negotiate and it comes down a few thousand. 

The taf mek was about 10 thousand a month or was that just for one of them. I forget. 

No idea what insurance would cost. I hope to make it long enough to find out but I'm dreading it or maybe I'll be cured by then. Who knows.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

Rita and Charles
                Participant

Thanks Artie – he has good insurance, you always feel so good having a PPO….but all insurance sucks.  I think that I will close my eyes to the numbers you wrote…….oy vey!  Insurance is going to have to pick up a hefty 90% of that cost or I"ll be doing a lot of letter writing!

I hope that you are doing well?? I've read so many of your posts I feel that I know  you – really hope that you are able to rest, have a good sleep and some pain free time.

XO

Rita

Rita and Charles
                  Participant

Thanks Artie – he has good insurance, you always feel so good having a PPO….but all insurance sucks.  I think that I will close my eyes to the numbers you wrote…….oy vey!  Insurance is going to have to pick up a hefty 90% of that cost or I"ll be doing a lot of letter writing!

I hope that you are doing well?? I've read so many of your posts I feel that I know  you – really hope that you are able to rest, have a good sleep and some pain free time.

XO

Rita

Rita and Charles
                    Participant

XO

Rita

adriana cooper
                    Participant

Copies of bill for Ipi were at 67k per infusion, Ouch. Greatful for health care act.

adriana cooper
                      Participant

Copies of bill for Ipi were at 67k per infusion, Ouch. Greatful for health care act.

adriana cooper
                        Participant

Thandster
                          Participant

My monthly statement shows Tafinlar at about $8500/month and Trametinib(MEK) at a little over $10000.

Thandster
                            Participant

My monthly statement shows Tafinlar at about $8500/month and Trametinib(MEK) at a little over $10000.

Thandster
                              Participant

Mom2Addy
                                Participant

Ask for co-pay assistance from the drug manufacturers.  If approved they will cover all but $25-50 after insurance. Good luck!

Mom2Addy
                                  Participant

Ask for co-pay assistance from the drug manufacturers.  If approved they will cover all but $25-50 after insurance. Good luck!

Mom2Addy
                                    Participant

Rita and Charles
                                        Participant

Thank you, that is a great suggestion that I will DEFINITELY follow!

Rita and Charles
                                          Participant

ConstructionCM
                                            Participant

Both Merck and Bristol Meyers have plans/grants to assist covering your expenses that your insurance does not cover.  I am very grateful for both of them.

IPI was about $70k an infusion. Keytruda was $42k to 50k per infusion.  Billing varies as to where you go for service.  Cedars "Sinea" billed my insurance $106,000 for 1 infusion of Keytruda. 

ConstructionCM
                                              Participant

Both Merck and Bristol Meyers have plans/grants to assist covering your expenses that your insurance does not cover.  I am very grateful for both of them.

IPI was about $70k an infusion. Keytruda was $42k to 50k per infusion.  Billing varies as to where you go for service.  Cedars "Sinea" billed my insurance $106,000 for 1 infusion of Keytruda. 

tschmith
                                                Participant

Wow!  So many different numbers!  Georgetown in DC bills Anthem BC/BS ppo about 24,000 for Keytruda and Anthem pays a little over 14,000.  (Infusions every three weeks.)  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                  Participant

Wow!  So many different numbers!  Georgetown in DC bills Anthem BC/BS ppo about 24,000 for Keytruda and Anthem pays a little over 14,000.  (Infusions every three weeks.)  

Terrie

_Paul_
                                                    Participant

My numbers are similar to yours. Bill is about $17k for Keytruda, and settlement is a liitle over $14k. Yervoy bill was about $45k if memory serves me right and settlement was a little over $40k.

_Paul_
                                                      Participant

My numbers are similar to yours. Bill is about $17k for Keytruda, and settlement is a liitle over $14k. Yervoy bill was about $45k if memory serves me right and settlement was a little over $40k.

_Paul_
                                                        Participant

tschmith
                                                          Participant

Terrie

ConstructionCM
                                                            Participant

Rita and Charles
                                                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics