The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

T-Vec is approved

Forums General Melanoma Community T-Vec is approved

Participant

FDA approved Imlygic (t-Vec) today

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        specka
        Participant
          So what does this mean for patients? Im sure there are stipulations as to whether you can get it or not. Like, you cant be on certain drugs or have taken certain ones before.
          specka
          Participant
            So what does this mean for patients? Im sure there are stipulations as to whether you can get it or not. Like, you cant be on certain drugs or have taken certain ones before.
            specka
            Participant
              JoshF
              Participant

Here is the Press Release from FDA. I by no means am going to pretend that I understand what affect this will have for us patients. For some reason I always seem disappointed when it says 16% received benefit….I'm always hoping it's a magic bullet for all of us though I imagine it can or will be used in combo theraphy and could be cure for some of us. Also no improvement in overall survival? My former oncologist Howard Kaufman was very involved in this and spoke highly of the potential of this treatment… I'll wait for Celeste, Artie and others who are far more knowledgable to weigh in. Hopefully more coming down the pipeline soon….

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Imlygic (talimogene laherparepvec), the first FDA-approved oncolytic virus therapy, for the treatment of melanoma lesions in the skin and lymph nodes.

“Melanoma is a serious disease that can advance and spread to other parts of the body, where it becomes difficult to treat,” said Karen Midthun, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. “This approval provides patients and health care providers with a novel treatment for melanoma.”

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Melanoma, one type of skin cancer, is the leading cause of skin cancer related deaths, and is most often caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. According to the National Cancer Institute approximately 74,000 Americans will be diagnosed with melanoma and nearly 10,000 will die from the disease in 2015.

Imlygic, a genetically modified live oncolytic herpes virus therapy, is used to treat melanoma lesions that cannot be removed completely by surgery. Imlygic is injected directly into the melanoma lesions, where it replicates inside cancer cells and causes the cells to rupture and die.  

A treatment course with Imlygic consists of a series of injections into the melanoma lesions. After the initial injection, a second dose is administered three weeks later, followed by additional doses every two weeks for at least six months, unless other treatment is required or until there are no remaining injectable lesions to treat.

The safety and efficacy of Imlygic were evaluated in a multicenter study of 436 participants with metastatic melanoma that could not be surgically removed. The participants’ melanoma lesions in the skin and lymph nodes were treated with Imlygic or a comparator therapy for at least six months, or until there were no remaining injectable lesions. The study showed that 16.3 percent of the study participants who received Imlygic experienced a decrease in size of their skin and lymph node lesions, lasting for a minimum of six months, compared to 2.1 percent of the study participants receiving the comparator therapy. However, Imlygic has not been shown to improve overall survival or to have an effect on melanoma that has spread to the brain, bone, liver, lungs, or other internal organs.  

The most common side effects observed in clinical study participants were fatigue, chills, fever, nausea, flu-like symptoms and pain at the injection site. Because Imlygic is a modified live oncolytic herpes virus therapy, herpes virus infection can also occur. Given this, Imlygic should not be given to individuals with suppressed immune systems or who are pregnant.

Imlygic is manufactured by BioVex Inc., a subsidiary of Amgen Inc., based in Thousand Oaks, California.

JoshF
                Participant

Here is the Press Release from FDA. I by no means am going to pretend that I understand what affect this will have for us patients. For some reason I always seem disappointed when it says 16% received benefit….I'm always hoping it's a magic bullet for all of us though I imagine it can or will be used in combo theraphy and could be cure for some of us. Also no improvement in overall survival? My former oncologist Howard Kaufman was very involved in this and spoke highly of the potential of this treatment… I'll wait for Celeste, Artie and others who are far more knowledgable to weigh in. Hopefully more coming down the pipeline soon….

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Imlygic (talimogene laherparepvec), the first FDA-approved oncolytic virus therapy, for the treatment of melanoma lesions in the skin and lymph nodes.

“Melanoma is a serious disease that can advance and spread to other parts of the body, where it becomes difficult to treat,” said Karen Midthun, M.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. “This approval provides patients and health care providers with a novel treatment for melanoma.”

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. Melanoma, one type of skin cancer, is the leading cause of skin cancer related deaths, and is most often caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. According to the National Cancer Institute approximately 74,000 Americans will be diagnosed with melanoma and nearly 10,000 will die from the disease in 2015.

Imlygic, a genetically modified live oncolytic herpes virus therapy, is used to treat melanoma lesions that cannot be removed completely by surgery. Imlygic is injected directly into the melanoma lesions, where it replicates inside cancer cells and causes the cells to rupture and die.  

A treatment course with Imlygic consists of a series of injections into the melanoma lesions. After the initial injection, a second dose is administered three weeks later, followed by additional doses every two weeks for at least six months, unless other treatment is required or until there are no remaining injectable lesions to treat.

The safety and efficacy of Imlygic were evaluated in a multicenter study of 436 participants with metastatic melanoma that could not be surgically removed. The participants’ melanoma lesions in the skin and lymph nodes were treated with Imlygic or a comparator therapy for at least six months, or until there were no remaining injectable lesions. The study showed that 16.3 percent of the study participants who received Imlygic experienced a decrease in size of their skin and lymph node lesions, lasting for a minimum of six months, compared to 2.1 percent of the study participants receiving the comparator therapy. However, Imlygic has not been shown to improve overall survival or to have an effect on melanoma that has spread to the brain, bone, liver, lungs, or other internal organs.  

The most common side effects observed in clinical study participants were fatigue, chills, fever, nausea, flu-like symptoms and pain at the injection site. Because Imlygic is a modified live oncolytic herpes virus therapy, herpes virus infection can also occur. Given this, Imlygic should not be given to individuals with suppressed immune systems or who are pregnant.

Imlygic is manufactured by BioVex Inc., a subsidiary of Amgen Inc., based in Thousand Oaks, California.

JoshF
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Tried to post some info about T-VEC for you guys here…but was blocked by the Mollom spam filter.  I copied it as a post on my blog…so you can check it out there.  Hope it helps.  Yours, celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Tried to post some info about T-VEC for you guys here…but was blocked by the Mollom spam filter.  I copied it as a post on my blog…so you can check it out there.  Hope it helps.  Yours, celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Maybe I'm just missing it but who can get this? The best I can tell is any of us stage 4 folks that have such an injectionable tumor and do not have immune issues caused by like hiv or stuff.

How often and how many are the injections?

Can you get Keytruda and sometime in that 3 weeks until the next keytruda get this tvec?

Sorry if those answers were in those links somewhere I just couldn't find it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Maybe I'm just missing it but who can get this? The best I can tell is any of us stage 4 folks that have such an injectionable tumor and do not have immune issues caused by like hiv or stuff.

Can you get Keytruda and sometime in that 3 weeks until the next keytruda get this tvec?

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Artie, 

I have not been able find exact answers to your question. I have found no stipulations for use other than the fact that T VEC is injected directly into lesions and Stage III and Stage IV melanoma patients were used in the studies that supported approval. In those same studies, T-VEC has been used alone as well as combined with immunotherapy. Now that ipi/Yervoy, Nivo/Opdivo, and Pembro/Keytruda are all FDA approved, I don't see why it couldn't be prescribed by oncs along with those drugs. However, I haven't found anything in writing. 

Now this is just ME talking, but I've been telling my husband for years that if I had to have surgery for a lesion and it was determined it couldn't all be removed….I would be begging my docs to inject the remainder with a bit of any of the intralesionals that are in the works just now, before they put me back together. I mean what the heck?! However, that's just me being crazy (maybe?). There are no such studies with that out there, but….

Anyhow, I'd certainly ask my doc about it, Artie. I'll keep you posted if I come across any more details. C

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Artie, 

I have not been able find exact answers to your question. I have found no stipulations for use other than the fact that T VEC is injected directly into lesions and Stage III and Stage IV melanoma patients were used in the studies that supported approval. In those same studies, T-VEC has been used alone as well as combined with immunotherapy. Now that ipi/Yervoy, Nivo/Opdivo, and Pembro/Keytruda are all FDA approved, I don't see why it couldn't be prescribed by oncs along with those drugs. However, I haven't found anything in writing. 

Now this is just ME talking, but I've been telling my husband for years that if I had to have surgery for a lesion and it was determined it couldn't all be removed….I would be begging my docs to inject the remainder with a bit of any of the intralesionals that are in the works just now, before they put me back together. I mean what the heck?! However, that's just me being crazy (maybe?). There are no such studies with that out there, but….

Anyhow, I'd certainly ask my doc about it, Artie. I'll keep you posted if I come across any more details. C

arthurjedi007
                                      Participant

Thanks Celeste. My saint Louis doc mentioned a little about tvec a few weeks ago. So I think he has it in mind for me eventually. Not sure though if he's willing to try it while on keytruda. I'm certain we wouldn't while I'm also on abraxane I would think but I dunno. I usually see his nurse practitioner who didn't know those answers yet when I asked last week.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                        Participant

Thanks Celeste. My saint Louis doc mentioned a little about tvec a few weeks ago. So I think he has it in mind for me eventually. Not sure though if he's willing to try it while on keytruda. I'm certain we wouldn't while I'm also on abraxane I would think but I dunno. I usually see his nurse practitioner who didn't know those answers yet when I asked last week.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Artie, 

JoshF
                                              Participant

Artie-

Here is dosing info. You're absolutely right on using it on patients with immune issues and from what I've researched…if you have leisons it can injected into you'd eligible. Sounds like it may be a great combo theraphy.

T-VEC dosing was initiated as ≤4 mL x 106 pfu/mL once, then after 3 weeks as ≤4 mL x 108 pfu/mL every 2 weeks for up to 2 years or until disease progression.

Be well….

Josh

JoshF
                                                Participant

Artie-

Here is dosing info. You're absolutely right on using it on patients with immune issues and from what I've researched…if you have leisons it can injected into you'd eligible. Sounds like it may be a great combo theraphy.

T-VEC dosing was initiated as ≤4 mL x 106 pfu/mL once, then after 3 weeks as ≤4 mL x 108 pfu/mL every 2 weeks for up to 2 years or until disease progression.

Be well….

Josh

arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

Thanks Josh.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Thanks Josh.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Thanks Josh.

Artie

JoshF
                                                        Participant

Artie-

Be well….

Josh

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics