The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symptoms of Liver Mets???

Forums General Melanoma Community Symptoms of Liver Mets???

Participant

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIb Melanoma in 04/09.  Made it through the year of Interferon ending in 07/10.  Had a negative PET scan in June.  Was scheduled for a repeat CT scan on December 6th.  I had really put the Melanoma behind me.  As we all know, you continue to live with the fear.  Over the past week I have had vague right upper quadrant discomfort about 1 inch below the rib cage.   Not bad.  Just a vague sensation which seems to worsen after eating.   Could be gall bladder disease or gastritis (had H.

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIb Melanoma in 04/09.  Made it through the year of Interferon ending in 07/10.  Had a negative PET scan in June.  Was scheduled for a repeat CT scan on December 6th.  I had really put the Melanoma behind me.  As we all know, you continue to live with the fear.  Over the past week I have had vague right upper quadrant discomfort about 1 inch below the rib cage.   Not bad.  Just a vague sensation which seems to worsen after eating.   Could be gall bladder disease or gastritis (had H. Pylorie in the past).  Can't get fear out of my mind.  Based on my fears and for the sake of being careful I moved up my CT scan to this coming Wednesday.  I am just curious.  For those who have had liver mets, did you have any early symptoms?   Could you sense something wrong early?  Any vague bloated feeling or discomfort?

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jackie W
        Participant

My husband had 2 liver mets with no symptoms.  They were discovered on a CT scan.  Hope your discomfort is something other than mm.

Jackie W

Jackie W
          Participant

My husband had 2 liver mets with no symptoms.  They were discovered on a CT scan.  Hope your discomfort is something other than mm.

Jackie W

Lori C
            Participant

When Will was first diagnosed with liver mets he had no symptoms.  When the mets got extensive, he got symptoms of upper right quadrant pain with nausea and fatigue.  This was rather sudden, though, the symptoms were not gradual onset.  It was about 4 months between diagnosis and progression to symptoms.

Lori C
              Participant

When Will was first diagnosed with liver mets he had no symptoms.  When the mets got extensive, he got symptoms of upper right quadrant pain with nausea and fatigue.  This was rather sudden, though, the symptoms were not gradual onset.  It was about 4 months between diagnosis and progression to symptoms.

Brandi
                Participant

Galbladder will act up after eating if you have a GB problem, it gets especially irritated after a greasy meal. Have your MD check you out and if they think it is gb they can order a hydascan and get it checked out. Good luck.

Brandi
                  Participant

Galbladder will act up after eating if you have a GB problem, it gets especially irritated after a greasy meal. Have your MD check you out and if they think it is gb they can order a hydascan and get it checked out. Good luck.

Brandi
                    Participant

Brandi
                      Participant

James from Sydney
                        Participant

our son had no symptoms of his liver mets until they were large and widespread. He lost his appetite . Get the scan but i would suggest your discomfort would not be from liver mets.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                          Participant

our son had no symptoms of his liver mets until they were large and widespread. He lost his appetite . Get the scan but i would suggest your discomfort would not be from liver mets.

best wishes

James

LizzM
                            Participant

I would bet on it being your gall bladder. Not a lot of symptoms for liver mets until they are advanced.

LizzM
                              Participant

I would bet on it being your gall bladder. Not a lot of symptoms for liver mets until they are advanced.

King
                                Participant

I had a 4.5cm liver mets detected on a routine PET/CT.  I had no symptoms.  I was only 10 weeks post 12 months of Interferon so I actually thought I was feeling better (better than those 12 months).  The doctors were surprised that I wasn't having any symptoms like nausea or pressure.

Please let us know what you find out.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                                  Participant

I had a 4.5cm liver mets detected on a routine PET/CT.  I had no symptoms.  I was only 10 weeks post 12 months of Interferon so I actually thought I was feeling better (better than those 12 months).  The doctors were surprised that I wasn't having any symptoms like nausea or pressure.

Please let us know what you find out.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Carmon in NM
                                    Participant

I agree with others that it sounds most likely to be some other medical problem and that will be my prayers for you!

Just for good information, I have a right adrenal tumor and the first symptom was mild, dull pain in the area you described. It got worse lying on my back and much worse lying on my right side. After they did a needle biopsy, the pain was so bad I couldn't lie down at all and slept in a recliner for about a week until the biopsy trauma subsided.

My onc said this was a typical symptom for an adrenal tumor. The adrenal gland sits on top of the kidney with no cushioning like the other internal orders have so any swelling or trauma causes pain ranging from mild to extreme.

Carmon in NM
                                      Participant

I agree with others that it sounds most likely to be some other medical problem and that will be my prayers for you!

Just for good information, I have a right adrenal tumor and the first symptom was mild, dull pain in the area you described. It got worse lying on my back and much worse lying on my right side. After they did a needle biopsy, the pain was so bad I couldn't lie down at all and slept in a recliner for about a week until the biopsy trauma subsided.

My onc said this was a typical symptom for an adrenal tumor. The adrenal gland sits on top of the kidney with no cushioning like the other internal orders have so any swelling or trauma causes pain ranging from mild to extreme.

FertilityDoc
                                        Participant

A sincere note of thanks to all for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.   It really does help.  It's one thing to read about typical symptoms but this sometimes differs from real world experiences.  It seems many have had no symptoms whatsoever.  That makes me hopeful that my symptoms are gallbladder/gastritis related.   I do have some adrenal masses bilaterally since my initial diagnosis.  The PET scan was negative and suggested these are benign adrenal adenomas.  They have been stable in size for over a year now.  I got my bloodwork back this morning.  Liver function tests and LDH were normal.  Nothing is a guarantee but it makes me hopeful that my symptoms are not liver related.  I will get my CT done tomorrow.  Like everyone here I am desperately trying to be proactive and not ignore things.   That was my big mistake with the initial diagnosis.  In retrospect I should have been seeing a dermatologist given my risk factors.

I'll let everyone know about my CT tomorrow.  I hate drinking that barium!  I read this board daily.   I have posted periodically on topics where I feel I have some experience or expertise.  My thoughts, thanks and prayers are with all of you here.  Not only do you soldier on but you share so much to help others going through the battle.

Kevin

Lori C
                                            Participant

Also, Will's LDH levels were elevated well before he had symptoms.  Three months, at least.   Thoughts & prayers with you for your CT, I know how stressful those are.

Lori C
                                              Participant

Also, Will's LDH levels were elevated well before he had symptoms.  Three months, at least.   Thoughts & prayers with you for your CT, I know how stressful those are.

FertilityDoc
                                              Participant

A sincere note of thanks to all for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences.   It really does help.  It's one thing to read about typical symptoms but this sometimes differs from real world experiences.  It seems many have had no symptoms whatsoever.  That makes me hopeful that my symptoms are gallbladder/gastritis related.   I do have some adrenal masses bilaterally since my initial diagnosis.  The PET scan was negative and suggested these are benign adrenal adenomas.  They have been stable in size for over a year now.  I got my bloodwork back this morning.  Liver function tests and LDH were normal.  Nothing is a guarantee but it makes me hopeful that my symptoms are not liver related.  I will get my CT done tomorrow.  Like everyone here I am desperately trying to be proactive and not ignore things.   That was my big mistake with the initial diagnosis.  In retrospect I should have been seeing a dermatologist given my risk factors.

I'll let everyone know about my CT tomorrow.  I hate drinking that barium!  I read this board daily.   I have posted periodically on topics where I feel I have some experience or expertise.  My thoughts, thanks and prayers are with all of you here.  Not only do you soldier on but you share so much to help others going through the battle.

Kevin

Rocklove
                                                Participant

I started having pain and complained and was not detected with a pet scan. 3 months later the pet scan detected tumors in the liver. I never had an increase or decrease in pain because of eating though. Hopefully it is the gall bladder for you.

Positive Thoughts & Prayers for You and Family.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Rocklove
                                                  Participant

I started having pain and complained and was not detected with a pet scan. 3 months later the pet scan detected tumors in the liver. I never had an increase or decrease in pain because of eating though. Hopefully it is the gall bladder for you.

Positive Thoughts & Prayers for You and Family.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

FertilityDoc
                                                    Participant

My upper abdomal pain had driven me crazy over the past week.  I had my CT of the chest and abdomen this morning.  I probably drove the tech crazy by letting me look at the liver images after getting up off the table.  They kindly indulged me.  Had a quick review by the radiologist and they could not find anything compared with my prior scans.  I don't have to worry about this for another 6 blissful months.  I told the radiologist it was my Christmas present.

Again sincere thanks to all for sharing their experiences with a similar situation.  It helped to calm me down prior to my scan.  I never lose sight of the fact that so many of you who frequent this board persevere through your own personal struggles.  I will say a silent prayer for all this evening.  I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving full of joy, peace and special times with your families.

Prosit,

Kevin

King
                                                        Participant

I've read 2 posts this evening and both have had good news to share.  So happy to read it.  

Stay Strong
                                                          King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

For more info about liver benefits check out this article https://chickenlivernutrition.com/benefits-of-chicken-liver/
                                                          King
                                                          Participant

I've read 2 posts this evening and both have had good news to share.  So happy to read it.  

Stay Strong
                                                            King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

FertilityDoc
                                                          Participant

My upper abdomal pain had driven me crazy over the past week.  I had my CT of the chest and abdomen this morning.  I probably drove the tech crazy by letting me look at the liver images after getting up off the table.  They kindly indulged me.  Had a quick review by the radiologist and they could not find anything compared with my prior scans.  I don't have to worry about this for another 6 blissful months.  I told the radiologist it was my Christmas present.

Again sincere thanks to all for sharing their experiences with a similar situation.  It helped to calm me down prior to my scan.  I never lose sight of the fact that so many of you who frequent this board persevere through your own personal struggles.  I will say a silent prayer for all this evening.  I wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving full of joy, peace and special times with your families.

Prosit,

Kevin

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics