The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symptoms of Bowel, Intestinal Recurrence

Forums General Melanoma Community Symptoms of Bowel, Intestinal Recurrence

Participant

Hey all,

I'm probably being paranoid but what are some of the symptoms or signs you have had if you had a melanoma recurrence in your intestines, colon etc?

Thanks!

JenJen

3a with recent pet/ct scan scare (other than that 3 .3 years NED)

Hey all,

I'm probably being paranoid but what are some of the symptoms or signs you have had if you had a melanoma recurrence in your intestines, colon etc?

Thanks!

JenJen

3a with recent pet/ct scan scare (other than that 3 .3 years NED)

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

stomach pain, groin pain, and blood in stools.  I pray it is not this….

God Bless and Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Erinmay22
            Participant

LIke Sherron said – stomach cramping, could have diarrhea or constipation, blood in stools (although I never noticed blood but in May became very anemic).  

My CT scan shows thickening of the wall in the small intestine.  Tried Zelboraf but didn't really have any effect on it.  Seeing surgeon on Monday to discuss surgey option and then starting Ipi.  

Hope it's nothing!

Erin

Erinmay22
              Participant

LIke Sherron said – stomach cramping, could have diarrhea or constipation, blood in stools (although I never noticed blood but in May became very anemic).  

My CT scan shows thickening of the wall in the small intestine.  Tried Zelboraf but didn't really have any effect on it.  Seeing surgeon on Monday to discuss surgey option and then starting Ipi.  

Hope it's nothing!

Erin

Erinmay22
                Participant

Hope it's nothing!

Erin

Sherron
                Participant

God Bless and Take Care,

Sherron
                  Participant

God Bless and Take Care,

washoegal
                    Participant

Jen,

You're right probably nothing.  When was your last scan?  You don't say how old you are in profile, when was your last colonoscopy?  Intestinal polyps are not unusual, so don't think the very worse yet.  But get to the appropriate doctor.

Good luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                      Participant

Jen,

You're right probably nothing.  When was your last scan?  You don't say how old you are in profile, when was your last colonoscopy?  Intestinal polyps are not unusual, so don't think the very worse yet.  But get to the appropriate doctor.

Good luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                        Participant

Jen,

Good luck,

Mary

Stage 3

JenJen12
                          Participant

Hi, i'm 29 now. Diagnosed when i was 26 with on top of my left foot, 2.4 mm . Had a SNB, which showed scattered individual cells,no actual group of cells, followed my complete lymphnode dissection where no more nodes were found. Have had multiple scares but just had 3 years at NED. followed by a Pet/ct.

PetCT came back as follows: In right hemisphere there is a new 2.6 x 1.5 cm focal region of FDG uptake with a maximum suv of 5.0. On the CT portion of the exam there is no definitive underlying mass.  Recommend diagnostic examination of pelvis with contrast enhanced MRI or CT. No other evdience of anything else in rest of body.

They followed this up with a MRI of Abdomen/Pelvis with adn without contrast the next day. Here are the results: All organs unremarkable. No mass or fluid collection in the abdomen. No adenopathy. The major vascular structures are unremarkable. Moderate stool seen throughout colon. MR evaluation of bowel otherwise unremarkable.

Pelvis: Ureters, bladder, vagina, uterus and left ovary are unremarkable. The right ovary contains 2 cysts with a uniform enhancing rim, consistent with a physiologic corpus luteum. The righ tovary is otherwise unremarkable. A small amount of fre fluid is present in pelvis. No adenopathy or mass is seen in pelvis. The bowel segments in the pelvis are unremarkable. The abnormal uptake on the recent PET scan correlates grossly with the right ovary on todays study.

IMPRESSION:

1. No mass or adenopathy in teh area of the recent abnormal PET uptake in the right pelvis. No evidence of metastasis in the abdomen or pelvis.

2. The previous PET abnormality may have been related to normal bowel activity. Note that corpus luteum cysts, as seen on this patient's right ovary, can occasionally be associated with false positives on PET scan, as well.

3. Small nonspecific pelvic free fluid is most likely physiologic.

Soo….. this is what the finding came to read. This was 3 weeks ago. I just got back from trip to Europe where i didnt have that many bowel movements..i never do when i travel. Sorry if this is TMI but i'm a little worried. I came back and started back in my routine and to eat normally. Last Sunday i had a bad bout of diaherra followed by this past week of some constipation, gas and bloating. It could be just me eating normal food again and my body adjusting, but because of this pet/ct i am still nervous.

Those are my only symptoms above, no bloody stools or pain so far,,just minor discomfort. And i jsut had labs which were normal too. Should i ask to get another test? if so , which one?

Sorry for the long post!

Jenjen 3a

JenJen12
                            Participant

Hi, i'm 29 now. Diagnosed when i was 26 with on top of my left foot, 2.4 mm . Had a SNB, which showed scattered individual cells,no actual group of cells, followed my complete lymphnode dissection where no more nodes were found. Have had multiple scares but just had 3 years at NED. followed by a Pet/ct.

PetCT came back as follows: In right hemisphere there is a new 2.6 x 1.5 cm focal region of FDG uptake with a maximum suv of 5.0. On the CT portion of the exam there is no definitive underlying mass.  Recommend diagnostic examination of pelvis with contrast enhanced MRI or CT. No other evdience of anything else in rest of body.

They followed this up with a MRI of Abdomen/Pelvis with adn without contrast the next day. Here are the results: All organs unremarkable. No mass or fluid collection in the abdomen. No adenopathy. The major vascular structures are unremarkable. Moderate stool seen throughout colon. MR evaluation of bowel otherwise unremarkable.

Pelvis: Ureters, bladder, vagina, uterus and left ovary are unremarkable. The right ovary contains 2 cysts with a uniform enhancing rim, consistent with a physiologic corpus luteum. The righ tovary is otherwise unremarkable. A small amount of fre fluid is present in pelvis. No adenopathy or mass is seen in pelvis. The bowel segments in the pelvis are unremarkable. The abnormal uptake on the recent PET scan correlates grossly with the right ovary on todays study.

IMPRESSION:

1. No mass or adenopathy in teh area of the recent abnormal PET uptake in the right pelvis. No evidence of metastasis in the abdomen or pelvis.

2. The previous PET abnormality may have been related to normal bowel activity. Note that corpus luteum cysts, as seen on this patient's right ovary, can occasionally be associated with false positives on PET scan, as well.

Soo….. this is what the finding came to read. This was 3 weeks ago. I just got back from trip to Europe where i didnt have that many bowel movements..i never do when i travel. Sorry if this is TMI but i'm a little worried. I came back and started back in my routine and to eat normally. Last Sunday i had a bad bout of diaherra followed by this past week of some constipation, gas and bloating. It could be just me eating normal food again and my body adjusting, but because of this pet/ct i am still nervous.

Those are my only symptoms above, no bloody stools or pain so far,,just minor discomfort. And i jsut had labs which were normal too. Should i ask to get another test? if so , which one?

Sorry for the long post!

Jenjen 3a

Janner
                                Participant

You've had a PET/CT and an MRI.  What other scans/tests do you think you need?  I'm not stage III/IV, but I think my doc's rule is good advice.  Give yourself a period of time.  Since you're just starting back on a new eating routine, wouldn't it make sense to give yourself a couple of weeks to see if everything normalizes?  Your scans were normal and showed nothing of interest.  PETS are notorious for false positives and two posibilities were given (both benign).  Set a deadline – say 2 or 3 weeks.  See if things don't improve in that time.  If they don't, then you can justify to your docs that there is something going on and go from there.  But if things resolve (likely), then you move on.  Sometimes, the obvious is the right solution.

Just my 2 cents.

Janner
                                  Participant

You've had a PET/CT and an MRI.  What other scans/tests do you think you need?  I'm not stage III/IV, but I think my doc's rule is good advice.  Give yourself a period of time.  Since you're just starting back on a new eating routine, wouldn't it make sense to give yourself a couple of weeks to see if everything normalizes?  Your scans were normal and showed nothing of interest.  PETS are notorious for false positives and two posibilities were given (both benign).  Set a deadline – say 2 or 3 weeks.  See if things don't improve in that time.  If they don't, then you can justify to your docs that there is something going on and go from there.  But if things resolve (likely), then you move on.  Sometimes, the obvious is the right solution.

Just my 2 cents.

JenJen12
                                    Participant

Yeah..i agree..just the SUV on the pet seemed a bit high..so it just scared me. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop….

Jen

JenJen12
                                      Participant

Yeah..i agree..just the SUV on the pet seemed a bit high..so it just scared me. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop….

Jen

JenJen12
                                        Participant

Jen

JenJen12
                                          Participant

And Janner..the test i was thinking of was the one where you drink the barium just because i know mri's and pet/cts dont get a really clear view of the bowels..

JenJen12
                                            Participant

And Janner..the test i was thinking of was the one where you drink the barium just because i know mri's and pet/cts dont get a really clear view of the bowels..

JenJen12
                                              Participant

JenJen12
                                                Participant

JenJen12
                                                  Participant

Janner
                                                    Participant

Well THAT will really help your digestion.  Clean you out and go from there.  I still think eating a normal diet and then re-evaluating in a reasonable time frame makes more sense than irritating your bowels more at this point.  You know,  I had rectal bleeding and cramps one day – incredibly bad ones.  Ended up in the ER where they confirmed blood.  Did a "clean-out" that night and colonoscopy the next day.  The colonoscopy found absolutely NOTHING.  It's never happened again and had my SIL not had a perforated bowel 6 months earlier, I would have followed my own advice and waiting for at least several days to see if things resolved.

Janner
                                                      Participant

Well THAT will really help your digestion.  Clean you out and go from there.  I still think eating a normal diet and then re-evaluating in a reasonable time frame makes more sense than irritating your bowels more at this point.  You know,  I had rectal bleeding and cramps one day – incredibly bad ones.  Ended up in the ER where they confirmed blood.  Did a "clean-out" that night and colonoscopy the next day.  The colonoscopy found absolutely NOTHING.  It's never happened again and had my SIL not had a perforated bowel 6 months earlier, I would have followed my own advice and waiting for at least several days to see if things resolved.

Janner
                                                        Participant

JenJen12
                                                          Participant

Janner
                                                            Participant

Just my 2 cents.

washoegal
                                                              Participant

Jen,

I do the exact same thing when I travel….what a paincrying.  It takes me about 2-3 weeks to become "normal" again.  I would try eating a mild diet for a few weeks, nothing spicy (I'm a spice nut) and keep away from small seeds – in other word be kind to you gut.  If you don't settle down in another couple of weeks I'd go see an internist.  I really don't think it's Mel but you may have picked something up or may have just an irritated bowel.

Good Luck,

Mary

P.S.

I have found that if I eat a half of a bran muffin daily when I travel (can't always find them) I can stay regular (or almost).smiley

washoegal
                                                                Participant

Jen,

I do the exact same thing when I travel….what a paincrying.  It takes me about 2-3 weeks to become "normal" again.  I would try eating a mild diet for a few weeks, nothing spicy (I'm a spice nut) and keep away from small seeds – in other word be kind to you gut.  If you don't settle down in another couple of weeks I'd go see an internist.  I really don't think it's Mel but you may have picked something up or may have just an irritated bowel.

Good Luck,

Mary

P.S.

I have found that if I eat a half of a bran muffin daily when I travel (can't always find them) I can stay regular (or almost).smiley

JenJen12
                                                                  Participant

Thanks mary! Yeah Europe had a ton of meat, cheese, and white bread..not my usual diet..eek! Thanks for the message ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen

JenJen12
                                                                    Participant

Thanks mary! Yeah Europe had a ton of meat, cheese, and white bread..not my usual diet..eek! Thanks for the message ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen

JenJen12
                                                                      Participant

Jen

washoegal
                                                                        Participant

Jen,

Good Luck,

Mary

P.S.

JenJen12
                                                                        Participant

IMPRESSION:

Sorry for the long post!

Jenjen 3a

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics