The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Swollen Lymph Node post Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Swollen Lymph Node post Radiation

Participant
      I had surgery to remove part of my parotid gland 10 weeks ago. 45 nodes were removed and all were clear. Had 1 node with melanoma within the gland. I had radiation therapy to my neck and finished 10 days ago. Now I have a lymph node starting to swell beside the original incision. My question is , can radiation therapy cause lymph nodes to swell? I appreciate any responses.
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tsvetochka
        Participant
          This is completely unscientific, but I have decided that my lymph nodes swell and hurt when they’re working. I mean, when they’re “processing” the dead cancer. I haven’t had radiation, but after I finished immunotherapy, I still had some tumours left. PET scan showed that they were inactive, but still there. Then my lymph nodes started hurting. They hurt worse and worse for a few weeks…and then the tumours were gone!

I was very nervous for those weeks, because it seemed to be getting worse, not better. I also had one node there with melanoma, and that was the area that was hurting the worst. But it was all for good. 🙂

THMoore
            Participant
              Thx. My concern is I just finished radiation and now I have a swollen lymph. I will be taking immunotherapy in a couple weeks, but the reason I had surgery and radiation to my neck was to remove and kill the 1 melanoma node.
              hxcadam
              Participant
                Radiation can definitely cause inflammation so it could be from that.
                THMoore
                Participant
                  Thank you. I have 1 node that has swelled 7 days after finishing 30 Grey to that area.
            Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics