The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Switching to IPPI from Zel

Forums General Melanoma Community Switching to IPPI from Zel

Participant

I was diagnosed in July, 2012 with Stage 4 melanoma in my stomach that metasticized to my liver.  In Aug. 2012 i found i was BRAF pos i started Zel and have had great success with it.  Tumors have shrunk, no new "hot spots", and feeling good.  This past week  after my PET scan showed great results my doctor wanted to plant the IPPI seed that i might have to make that switch sometime in the near future unless the Zel does continue to work for longer than the average.  The side effects of IPPI scare me.  Anyone have the this same scenario?

I was diagnosed in July, 2012 with Stage 4 melanoma in my stomach that metasticized to my liver.  In Aug. 2012 i found i was BRAF pos i started Zel and have had great success with it.  Tumors have shrunk, no new "hot spots", and feeling good.  This past week  after my PET scan showed great results my doctor wanted to plant the IPPI seed that i might have to make that switch sometime in the near future unless the Zel does continue to work for longer than the average.  The side effects of IPPI scare me.  Anyone have the this same scenario?

Big B 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Erinmay22
        Participant

Big B –

Sorry to 'meet' you here.  I started Z end of May of this year.  Had tumor in small intestine.  Scans in July showed reduction but scans in Sept showed growth.  Our plan the whole time had been to shrink with Z and switch to Ipi which can take some time to start working…

Ended up having my first Ipi end of Sept and surgery Oct 4th to remove a section of my small intestine.  Finished dose #4 Nov 27th.  No major side effects during.  Did get hit pretty bad last week with 'stomach' issues and fatigue.  Was put on a mild steriod and things cleared up.  I have my scans on the 21st to see what's going on now.  Hoping all clear after surgery – but think there was still a lymph node or 2 left behind that couldn't be removed surgerically.  

Hang in there!  

Erin

Erinmay22
          Participant

Big B –

Sorry to 'meet' you here.  I started Z end of May of this year.  Had tumor in small intestine.  Scans in July showed reduction but scans in Sept showed growth.  Our plan the whole time had been to shrink with Z and switch to Ipi which can take some time to start working…

Ended up having my first Ipi end of Sept and surgery Oct 4th to remove a section of my small intestine.  Finished dose #4 Nov 27th.  No major side effects during.  Did get hit pretty bad last week with 'stomach' issues and fatigue.  Was put on a mild steriod and things cleared up.  I have my scans on the 21st to see what's going on now.  Hoping all clear after surgery – but think there was still a lymph node or 2 left behind that couldn't be removed surgerically.  

Hang in there!  

Erin

Erinmay22
            Participant

Big B –

Hang in there!  

Erin

Josh
              Participant

Hey Big B,

I did the opposite treatment route (started with ippi and eventually moved onto BRAF). My experience with ippi (now yervoy) was a ton of itching, especially on my legs. Just sort of insane and bloody itching. But other than that, nothing. Seriously, the drug was a piece of cake. No fatigue, no nausea, nothing except itchy legs and a few gray hairs. Also, at the time I started it, I was really sick and cancer was popping up everywhere. Within a week of starting ippi, half my symptoms disappeared. I wound up getting 16 infusions of ippi over about a year and a half, and the drug worked extremely well the entire time.

Best of luck!

Josh

Erinmay22
                  Participant

Josh – I see you started the anti-pd1 trial now?  I'm a patient at Sloan also.  Did Braf, just finished ipi.  Scans coming up next week…  Of course very nervous about them!  Depending on how things goes I'll either look at going back on Z or trying the anti-pd1 trial…

Josh
                    Participant

Hey Erin,

So far, the pd-1 doesn't seem to be working so great for me, but for about 50% of people, it's a pretty darn remarkable drug. Best of luck with your scans!

Erinmay22
                      Participant

Josh – sorry to hear it's not working…  just had scans today at Sloan.   Hopefully get results tomorrow!  My doctor did say that no matter what the results are he wants to start looking at getting me in the pd1 trial…  we'll see how that goes!  best of luck to you!  

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Josh – sorry to hear it's not working…  just had scans today at Sloan.   Hopefully get results tomorrow!  My doctor did say that no matter what the results are he wants to start looking at getting me in the pd1 trial…  we'll see how that goes!  best of luck to you!  

Josh
                          Participant

Hey Erin,

I hope you got great results.

Take care!

Josh

Josh
                            Participant

Hey Erin,

Take care!

Josh

Josh
                              Participant

Hey Erin,

Take care!

Josh

Erinmay22
                                Participant

Josh
                                  Participant

Hey Erin,

So far, the pd-1 doesn't seem to be working so great for me, but for about 50% of people, it's a pretty darn remarkable drug. Best of luck with your scans!

Josh
                                    Participant

Hey Erin,

Erinmay22
                                      Participant

Josh – I see you started the anti-pd1 trial now?  I'm a patient at Sloan also.  Did Braf, just finished ipi.  Scans coming up next week…  Of course very nervous about them!  Depending on how things goes I'll either look at going back on Z or trying the anti-pd1 trial…

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

Josh
                                        Participant

Hey Big B,

I did the opposite treatment route (started with ippi and eventually moved onto BRAF). My experience with ippi (now yervoy) was a ton of itching, especially on my legs. Just sort of insane and bloody itching. But other than that, nothing. Seriously, the drug was a piece of cake. No fatigue, no nausea, nothing except itchy legs and a few gray hairs. Also, at the time I started it, I was really sick and cancer was popping up everywhere. Within a week of starting ippi, half my symptoms disappeared. I wound up getting 16 infusions of ippi over about a year and a half, and the drug worked extremely well the entire time.

Best of luck!

Josh

Josh
                                          Participant

Hey Big B,

Best of luck!

Josh

fdess056
                                            Participant

Hi, BigB  I actually went the opposite way once I became stage 4….yervoy (ippi) then zelboraf, which I'm on now (approaching 5 months).  Yervoy wasn't bad.  Mostly fatigue, some itching.  I'm a former marathon runner and was able to continue running on but at a reduced level.  I was also a partial responder….tumors shrunk 60% or more but 2 new ones appeared.  Zel seems to be taking care of those.  I was also on Interferon several years ago.  Of the 3 courses of treatment I find zel the easiest to take as far as side effects.  Its also worked best except for brain brain mets. Prior ones are considered stable but 2 new ones have appeared which i Just had Gamma Knifed.  Hope all goes well for you.

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                                              Participant

Hi, BigB  I actually went the opposite way once I became stage 4….yervoy (ippi) then zelboraf, which I'm on now (approaching 5 months).  Yervoy wasn't bad.  Mostly fatigue, some itching.  I'm a former marathon runner and was able to continue running on but at a reduced level.  I was also a partial responder….tumors shrunk 60% or more but 2 new ones appeared.  Zel seems to be taking care of those.  I was also on Interferon several years ago.  Of the 3 courses of treatment I find zel the easiest to take as far as side effects.  Its also worked best except for brain brain mets. Prior ones are considered stable but 2 new ones have appeared which i Just had Gamma Knifed.  Hope all goes well for you.

FrankD Brooklyn

fdess056
                                                Participant

FrankD Brooklyn

awillett1991
                                                  Participant
                                                    I just posted about doing Zel->Ipi -Zel or you can read my profile. Going back on Zel has been hard but I am responding again, very grateful!!
                                                    awillett1991
                                                    Participant
                                                      I just posted about doing Zel->Ipi -Zel or you can read my profile. Going back on Zel has been hard but I am responding again, very grateful!!
                                                      awillett1991
                                                      Participant
                                                        lhaley
                                                        Participant

I started on Zel the end of August for brain mets and a few small lung mets.  Brain mets were stable and lung mets were gone.  2 weeks ago was told I now have approx 20 tumor brains.  Doing WBR and will be starting ipi Dec 31st.  I had a difficult time on Zel's side effects and had to start over several times.  I sure am hoping ipi is easier on me than Z.

Hope you are able to stay on Zel for a long time.   My onc and I had the same discussion you just had.  He was ready to change me over now anyway but sure didn't need the aggressiveness that took over.

Linda

lhaley
                                                          Participant

I started on Zel the end of August for brain mets and a few small lung mets.  Brain mets were stable and lung mets were gone.  2 weeks ago was told I now have approx 20 tumor brains.  Doing WBR and will be starting ipi Dec 31st.  I had a difficult time on Zel's side effects and had to start over several times.  I sure am hoping ipi is easier on me than Z.

Hope you are able to stay on Zel for a long time.   My onc and I had the same discussion you just had.  He was ready to change me over now anyway but sure didn't need the aggressiveness that took over.

Linda

lhaley
                                                            Participant

Linda

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics