The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Swelling in Thigh post inguinal Lymph node dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Swelling in Thigh post inguinal Lymph node dissection

Participant

Hi everyone,

On 5th Nov 2018, I had an inguinal lymph node dissection. I was healing well, until 3 weeks later i started to notice significant swelling & redness of my thigh, mild fever, fatigue, and hardness in the skin around the wound. It turns out it was infected, and I was re-hospitalized, given lots of antibiotics through an IV, and the wound re-opened and a wound vac was installed.  2 weeks later, I had the drain and wound vac removed, and given the green light to start being more mobile. 

It is now over 8 weeks since I had the surgery, and 3 weeks since the drain & wound vac have been removed. I am almost fully healed up, and working on getting full range of motion back. I’ve been walking and cycling, and feel fine but still have a heaviness and swelling in my thigh, which gets worse throughout the day. I’m unsure if this is still the swelling going down after the infection, or whether it could be Lymphedema? I thought lymphadema was most common in the lower part of the legs, and I don’t have any swelling there.

I wondered if any of you have any experience or advice on this, as I’m struggling to find any relevant info online. Is this something I should inform my doctor of?

Thanks again

Clare

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        dessie
        Participant

Hey Clare,

I too had a right inguinal lymph node dissection. Jan 2018.   They kept the drain in longer that I had ever anticipated but in hindsite, this may have been a good thing.  The fact that they had to go back in to place a wound vac I'm sure will start you back a square one again since it was reopened.  Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

I do not have any swelling at the sight but also have a "heavy" sensation at times. You can I believe, develop lymphedema  anywhere , whether it be upper thigh or lower leg… it is still swelling and should be discussed.  Either way , I would let your surgeon or oncologist know about your concerns.

Good luck and keep the faith,

Dessie

stevek1959x
            Participant

I had a complete lymph node dissection of the left axilla in April.  The drain was finally removed after 5 weeks even though I still had some drainage.  I've always had puffiness near the back of the incision under my arm.  I asked the surgeon about this and they said it could resolve.  I brought this up to my oncologist as well and he said it could be drainage from the lymph nodes.  I have no signs of lymphedema.  As the day progresses, I get tightness (best way to describe it) along the incision and it seems to actually raise the incision slightly.  I still have full movement but it feels like something is pulling.  Now here is the kicker – this resolves at night and no pulling or tightness when I wake up in the morning.  I've done exercises where you try to channel the lymph fluid away from your arm pit with little success.  I've had two scans and the first scan showed SUV of 3.7 which they said could be surgery related but could not rule out melanoma at the time.  The second scan showed and SUV of 3.1 and this basically said surgery related BUT would continue to watch.  Dumb me, I forgot to ask the exact location.  The fact that it resolves somewhat at night leads me to believe it is lymph fluid collecting.  Laying down must help to channel this fluid to other locations.  I will bring this up to my onc in February.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics