The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Suspicious pulmonary nodule on CT scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Suspicious pulmonary nodule on CT scan

Participant

Mike had a CT scan on 2/21/12 that showed a 12 mm pulmonary nodule in the upper left lobe.  The CT report states that it is highly suspicious for metastatic disease.  The oncologist has ordered a PET scan for next week.  Although there is a chance that it is not cancer, I am very concerned that the melanoma has spread.  Has anyone else had pulmonary nodules that ended up not being metastatic disease? 

Mike had a CT scan on 2/21/12 that showed a 12 mm pulmonary nodule in the upper left lobe.  The CT report states that it is highly suspicious for metastatic disease.  The oncologist has ordered a PET scan for next week.  Although there is a chance that it is not cancer, I am very concerned that the melanoma has spread.  Has anyone else had pulmonary nodules that ended up not being metastatic disease? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        ElaineLinn
        Participant

I like Mike is going threw the same thing right now. My cancer spread to my left side of  my neck in my lympnodes, then it Mastied into my lungs with 15 nodules being found. I have never had these biopsed because the dr. said that she had seen so much of this and we were going to treat it this way also. Now this week I got more bad news Now they think that it has gone to my brain. Hoping I will know more tomorrow.  But always remember just because it didnt work for me or the next person doesnt mean that it wont work for you. God Bless you all!

ElaineLinn
          Participant

I like Mike is going threw the same thing right now. My cancer spread to my left side of  my neck in my lympnodes, then it Mastied into my lungs with 15 nodules being found. I have never had these biopsed because the dr. said that she had seen so much of this and we were going to treat it this way also. Now this week I got more bad news Now they think that it has gone to my brain. Hoping I will know more tomorrow.  But always remember just because it didnt work for me or the next person doesnt mean that it wont work for you. God Bless you all!

Lucassi
              Participant

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I know everybody is different and I hope for the best outcome for my husband and all melanoma patients.  God blee you. 

Heidi

Lucassi
                Participant

sorry for the spelling error, God Bless you.

Lucassi
                  Participant

Lucassi
                    Participant

Lucassi
                      Participant

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I know everybody is different and I hope for the best outcome for my husband and all melanoma patients.  God blee you. 

Heidi

Lucassi
                        Participant

Heidi

ElaineLinn
                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

There have been a some cases that some things have shown up in the lungs that were not melanoma tumors.  The lungs is the most common loccation for most melanoma's to metatisize to.  If there is continuied growth or additional spots show up,  I would (and did) want t o get quick follow up.  They may want to try a needle biopsy for verification.  When I suddenly developed innumerable lung nodules I immediately went to a extremely experienced IL-2 Melanoma Oncologist and started IL-2 treatments (May 2007).  I have known several people that received a complete response to this course of treatment that started treatment immediately.  I had a partial response in that my tumors stopped growing and stayed esentially stable for 20 months.  I wanted to start IL-2 while I was at my strongest and not hope to recover enough from other treatments to be able to try IL-2 at the ast minute. 

Good  luck and don't wait to long to follow up.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

There have been a some cases that some things have shown up in the lungs that were not melanoma tumors.  The lungs is the most common loccation for most melanoma's to metatisize to.  If there is continuied growth or additional spots show up,  I would (and did) want t o get quick follow up.  They may want to try a needle biopsy for verification.  When I suddenly developed innumerable lung nodules I immediately went to a extremely experienced IL-2 Melanoma Oncologist and started IL-2 treatments (May 2007).  I have known several people that received a complete response to this course of treatment that started treatment immediately.  I had a partial response in that my tumors stopped growing and stayed esentially stable for 20 months.  I wanted to start IL-2 while I was at my strongest and not hope to recover enough from other treatments to be able to try IL-2 at the ast minute. 

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Lori C
                                Participant

Sometimes there are things in the lungs from old infections, etc., that show up.  That is possible.  Are they planning a biopsy?  That would be definitive.

Lori

Lori C
                                  Participant

Sometimes there are things in the lungs from old infections, etc., that show up.  That is possible.  Are they planning a biopsy?  That would be definitive.

Lori

Lori C
                                    Participant

Lori

Lucassi
                                        Participant

First, a PET scan is scheduled for March 7.  If it is positive, a biopsy will be scheduled.  Thank you for your response.

Sigrid

Lucassi
                                          Participant

First, a PET scan is scheduled for March 7.  If it is positive, a biopsy will be scheduled.  Thank you for your response.

Sigrid

Lucassi
                                            Participant

Sigrid

Cindy33
                                            Participant

My CT lung scan came back with many nodules. It was a nightmare. Docs all assumed mets in my  lungs. Turned out I have sarcoidosis of the lungs. Separate issue from melanoma. But it sure did cause a big panic with my oncologist. Best of luck to you.

Cindy33
                                              Participant

My CT lung scan came back with many nodules. It was a nightmare. Docs all assumed mets in my  lungs. Turned out I have sarcoidosis of the lungs. Separate issue from melanoma. But it sure did cause a big panic with my oncologist. Best of luck to you.

Cindy33
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics