The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surviving Stage 1A melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Surviving Stage 1A melanoma

Participant

Hello all,

i was recently diagnosed with stage 1A melanoma at

0.3 mm thickness 

mitotic rate of 0 

no microlesions

no lymphatic or vascular invasion 

with regression present 

I only seem to find so many negative things about low risk lesions spreading and I'm so scared this lesion is going to spread. I just need to hear some positives about people that had small lesions taken out and are not having anymore issues years down the road. I feel as if I'm heading for something that I can't stop. Any answers would be appreciated thank you..

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

This is a 2012 study from Queensland Australia (very high rate of melanoma there)

http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:275517

It shows 20-year survival for people with thin mels to be 96%.

also at 0.3mm you're among the thinner of the thin

JC
          Participant

This is a 2012 study from Queensland Australia (very high rate of melanoma there)

lmhl
              Participant

Low risk-but from my experience melanoma is definitely a cancer to have a healthy respect for. You are doing the right thing to learn more about it. 

lmhl
                Participant

Low risk-but from my experience melanoma is definitely a cancer to have a healthy respect for. You are doing the right thing to learn more about it. 

lmhl
                  Participant

JC
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Consider the sites where you are reading about thin mels progressing.  Like this site.  Why would anyone who had a very thin stage 1a melanoma stick around and post for years?  There are a few of us around, but the vast majority move on.  I used to moderate a stage 1 BB – most of the people there couldn't manage the angst they saw on a site like this.  But in a group with like staged individuals, they soon saw that none of them progressed.  In fact, the site basically outlived itself because all of the early stagers moved on.  I couldn't recruit enough replacements to keep the site going.

I am stage 1b, 3 primaries.  2x and 3x deeper than yours for two of them.  I'm still stage 1b for almost 25 years.  Yours is again, on the thin side of stage 1a – it goes as high as 1mm and you are in a very good place.  Just watch your moles for change and practice sun safety.  Then LIVE!

Sophietx
                        Participant

I am sorry that you are here at your young age. I was diagnosed with another cancer excactly a year ago – stage 1 and given 95% survival. My melanoma was stage 0 so I am not as focused on it since it's not invasive. I promise – you will move on. Time will heal. It took me about 6 months to resume new normal. I was also in big shock and couldn't wrap my 40 year old brain around it. But now a year later I enjoy my life again. My advise would be to keep busy as much as you can. Plan trips, have fun and get out. Try to stay away from Google. I was told to set up "time" of the day when I am allowed to think about my cancer. Like an hour of the day – but the rest of the day keep away. You have to train yourself. But it works. You will see that once you start thinking about other stuff than cancer – you will feel much better. 

Sophietx
                          Participant

I am sorry that you are here at your young age. I was diagnosed with another cancer excactly a year ago – stage 1 and given 95% survival. My melanoma was stage 0 so I am not as focused on it since it's not invasive. I promise – you will move on. Time will heal. It took me about 6 months to resume new normal. I was also in big shock and couldn't wrap my 40 year old brain around it. But now a year later I enjoy my life again. My advise would be to keep busy as much as you can. Plan trips, have fun and get out. Try to stay away from Google. I was told to set up "time" of the day when I am allowed to think about my cancer. Like an hour of the day – but the rest of the day keep away. You have to train yourself. But it works. You will see that once you start thinking about other stuff than cancer – you will feel much better. 

Sophietx
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Consider the sites where you are reading about thin mels progressing.  Like this site.  Why would anyone who had a very thin stage 1a melanoma stick around and post for years?  There are a few of us around, but the vast majority move on.  I used to moderate a stage 1 BB – most of the people there couldn't manage the angst they saw on a site like this.  But in a group with like staged individuals, they soon saw that none of them progressed.  In fact, the site basically outlived itself because all of the early stagers moved on.  I couldn't recruit enough replacements to keep the site going.

I am stage 1b, 3 primaries.  2x and 3x deeper than yours for two of them.  I'm still stage 1b for almost 25 years.  Yours is again, on the thin side of stage 1a – it goes as high as 1mm and you are in a very good place.  Just watch your moles for change and practice sun safety.  Then LIVE!

Janner
                              Participant

Everymoment
                                Participant
                                  You are in a great spot with that being so thin and zero mitotic rate……Yes, in theory anything “could” happen but you could also get injured in a car wreck on the way to the dermatologist! Eventhough you are here….I would totally take your odds with that path report:)
                                  Everymoment
                                  Participant
                                    You are in a great spot with that being so thin and zero mitotic rate……Yes, in theory anything “could” happen but you could also get injured in a car wreck on the way to the dermatologist! Eventhough you are here….I would totally take your odds with that path report:)
                                    Everymoment
                                    Participant
                                      Hukill
                                      Participant

Where was it located?

Hukill
                                        Participant

Where was it located?

Hukill
                                          Participant

Where was it located?

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics