The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Survival Rates

Forums General Melanoma Community Survival Rates

Participant

I think most cancers talk about 5 and 10 year survival rates.  I'm not sure, but I think they do 5 year because with some cancers if there is NED after 5 years, doctors will say they believe the person to be "cured."  Of course, we know melanoma does not fit nicely into that category because it can come back after many many years.  So, then, why for melanoma don't they put survival rates down for 15 or 20 years?  Like, an in-situ or 1a or 1b 20-year survival rate? 

I think most cancers talk about 5 and 10 year survival rates.  I'm not sure, but I think they do 5 year because with some cancers if there is NED after 5 years, doctors will say they believe the person to be "cured."  Of course, we know melanoma does not fit nicely into that category because it can come back after many many years.  So, then, why for melanoma don't they put survival rates down for 15 or 20 years?  Like, an in-situ or 1a or 1b 20-year survival rate? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Don't think anyone has an answer to that question except for the fact that there might not be a large enough group to statiticly matter.

On the other side of the coin, be glad they don't no one that had mel no matter what the stage would probably every get insurance if they went out 20 years!

washoegal
          Participant

Don't think anyone has an answer to that question except for the fact that there might not be a large enough group to statiticly matter.

On the other side of the coin, be glad they don't no one that had mel no matter what the stage would probably every get insurance if they went out 20 years!

washoegal
            Participant

natasha
              Participant

Some melanoma ( cancer ) math tools (like survive rate canculator0 ,which I tryed online ,give you answer for 15 years in advance. Of course ,this is not 100 right prognosys ,but they considering 15 years survival. I am stage 1a and I think it gave me chanse to be survive for 15 years 96 percent ,to dye of incident or desease 2 percent and to dye of cancer 2%

natasha
                Participant

Some melanoma ( cancer ) math tools (like survive rate canculator0 ,which I tryed online ,give you answer for 15 years in advance. Of course ,this is not 100 right prognosys ,but they considering 15 years survival. I am stage 1a and I think it gave me chanse to be survive for 15 years 96 percent ,to dye of incident or desease 2 percent and to dye of cancer 2%

natasha
                  Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

I think that the quality of the data would suffer the further out you go.  It's hard to follow the survivor populations for 20 years.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                      Participant

I think that the quality of the data would suffer the further out you go.  It's hard to follow the survivor populations for 20 years.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

AlisonC
                          Participant
                            Sorry for the late reply….you can find long term survival curves calculated by the AJCC here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2793035/

Remember these are outcomes for people who were diagnosed and treated up to 2 decades ago when initial treatments were different.

๐Ÿ™‚

AlisonC
                            Stage IIIB
                            NED since 2001

AlisonC
                            Participant
                              Sorry for the late reply….you can find long term survival curves calculated by the AJCC here:

Remember these are outcomes for people who were diagnosed and treated up to 2 decades ago when initial treatments were different.

๐Ÿ™‚

AlisonC
                              Stage IIIB
                              NED since 2001

AlisonC
                              Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

AlisonC
                                Stage IIIB
                                NED since 2001

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics