The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgical incision infection treated for 10 days with antibiotics disqualify for pd1 trial?

Forums General Melanoma Community surgical incision infection treated for 10 days with antibiotics disqualify for pd1 trial?

Participant

Do any of you know if being on antibiotics for an infected surgical incision will disqualify you from Merk's Anti-pd1 trial?   My boyfriend is about 5 days through the 10 day cycle of antibiotics, But the incision site is still draining and has pus, although it's not red or inflamed.    He is due to meet with Dr.

Do any of you know if being on antibiotics for an infected surgical incision will disqualify you from Merk's Anti-pd1 trial?   My boyfriend is about 5 days through the 10 day cycle of antibiotics, But the incision site is still draining and has pus, although it's not red or inflamed.    He is due to meet with Dr. to assess him for a trial of anti-pd1 for people who progressed after yervoy, and im worried having an active healing infection, and being on antibiotics will disqualify him…even though he only has another 5 days or so of the antibiotic.  I'm also worried that having a prior bowel obstruction surgery will disqualify him.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Josh
        Participant

Hey,

I'm not an expert here, but I don't see why antibiotics, a healing infection, or a previous surgery would disqualify one from the anti pd-a trial. As far as I know, previous surgeries are totally irrelevant (I've had many surgeries and I'm on Merk's trial). As for anitbiotics, it may be that he'll need to have 1-3 weeks pass before they'll let him start the drug, though I'm pretty sure this only becomes relevant if you're on other treatments. For example, I was on the BRAF drug before I started Merk's trial, so had to have a 3 week "wash" before beginning. I don't however believe that this would be the case with antibiotics. Best of luck!

Josh
          Participant

Hey,

I'm not an expert here, but I don't see why antibiotics, a healing infection, or a previous surgery would disqualify one from the anti pd-a trial. As far as I know, previous surgeries are totally irrelevant (I've had many surgeries and I'm on Merk's trial). As for anitbiotics, it may be that he'll need to have 1-3 weeks pass before they'll let him start the drug, though I'm pretty sure this only becomes relevant if you're on other treatments. For example, I was on the BRAF drug before I started Merk's trial, so had to have a 3 week "wash" before beginning. I don't however believe that this would be the case with antibiotics. Best of luck!

Josh
            Participant

Hey,

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics