The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgical error to remove melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgical error to remove melanoma

Participant
      Hi, I had the initial biopsy done on a small flat mole on my right upper back.
      Report came back stage 1a melanoma.
      Obviously this biopsy left a round red scar on my back.
      Yesterday 2 months after diagnosis I had my wide excision.
      Weirdly as I’m being prepared and lying down the surgeon walks in and asked me “ ok where is the melanoma?” I say well you can’t miss it, it’s the only red round scar on my back and it’s in the upper right.
      She’s looks and says ok I see it and she marks it with a pen.
      One day later I take a mirror to look at my back and I freak out cause I see the red round scar still on my back with the stitches
      Right above it in a straight line going past the red round scar.
      The original red mark on my skin where the first biopsy was done is still there.
      I’m really confused and starting to believe this surgeon totally miss the mark.
      Now I got to wait a few days before the office is open to find out what the heck happened?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant
          Hi Penny,
          Medical errors are horrifying and I sure hope your situation gets cleared up right away.
          Cindy
          JudiAU
          Participant
            Medical errors happen. They happened to me. I hope yours get sorted out.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics