The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery yesterday

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery yesterday

Participant

Hi all…just had a WLE and SLNB yesterday at the James Cancer Center @ Ohio State. It went well , doesn't hurt too bad today…the melanoma was on my calf and had 3 lymphnodes removed from groin for the SLNB.Initially my stage is 2a with the tumor being 2.1mm thick, miotic rate of 1, no regression or ulceration. My question is, if it has spread to the lymphnodes, should I have them all removed? From what I have read if it's only there microscopically is it in my best interest to have them all removed when it could cause more problems for me than taking the chance that the melanoma may not progress past that point? Just thinking ahead I guess…

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry that you are having to ponder these things and hopefully your sentinel nodes will be negative! However, some good data about a lymphadenectomy in the case of positive nodes is on my blog in two posts -February 15,2014 and June 3,2014… Perhaps they may give you some helpful information.

wishing you my best, celeste

cavsnut
            Participant

thank you for the link to your blog, a lot of insightful information there to help me make the most informed decision if the time comes…thank you so much

cavsnut
              Participant

thank you for the link to your blog, a lot of insightful information there to help me make the most informed decision if the time comes…thank you so much

cavsnut
                Participant

Bubbles
                Participant

Sorry that you are having to ponder these things and hopefully your sentinel nodes will be negative! However, some good data about a lymphadenectomy in the case of positive nodes is on my blog in two posts -February 15,2014 and June 3,2014… Perhaps they may give you some helpful information.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Colleen66
                    Participant

Hi Cavsnut.

I'm being treated at the James also.  My initial Diagnosis was IIIa, Had micro met in 1 SLN removed.  Opted to have only the surface nodes removed, 7 additional.  Went on to 1 month INF. and am now IIIb and NED.  My surgeon is Dr. Agnese and she is a great surgeon and will call you back from her cell phone while driving ๐Ÿ™‚  and Medical is Dr. Olencki.  Dr. Olencki comes from Mayo years ago where he was in Melanoma also.  He's very wise and very direct.  Dr. Agnese gave me the choices of watch and wait, full lymph disection, and partial.

Any choice you make will be the right one for you!

Good luck, Colleen 

Sha20vs
                        Participant

I can't speak about the lymphnode removal. By the time they caught my Father in laws it was stage 4 with a heavy tumor burden. I will say you are in good hands with Dr Agnese & Dr Olenki. My father in law, by the grace of God and Doctor O, is still fighting 6 months longer than anyone expected. Also, you've come to the right place posting on this forum.

wishing you the best!

Sha20vs
                          Participant

I can't speak about the lymphnode removal. By the time they caught my Father in laws it was stage 4 with a heavy tumor burden. I will say you are in good hands with Dr Agnese & Dr Olenki. My father in law, by the grace of God and Doctor O, is still fighting 6 months longer than anyone expected. Also, you've come to the right place posting on this forum.

wishing you the best!

Sha20vs
                            Participant

wishing you the best!

Colleen66
                            Participant

Hi Cavsnut.

I'm being treated at the James also.  My initial Diagnosis was IIIa, Had micro met in 1 SLN removed.  Opted to have only the surface nodes removed, 7 additional.  Went on to 1 month INF. and am now IIIb and NED.  My surgeon is Dr. Agnese and she is a great surgeon and will call you back from her cell phone while driving ๐Ÿ™‚  and Medical is Dr. Olencki.  Dr. Olencki comes from Mayo years ago where he was in Melanoma also.  He's very wise and very direct.  Dr. Agnese gave me the choices of watch and wait, full lymph disection, and partial.

Good luck, Colleen 

Colleen66
                              Participant

Hi Cavsnut.

Good luck, Colleen 

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

My personal choiced would be if only microscopic traaces was found in a lymph node to not have the complete lymph node basin removed.  There is debate in the medical community over this and there are clinical trils underway to determine a statistical bases for  resolution either way.  i would rateher have some nodesleft in the basin to catch other cancer cells tryint to follow the lymph path from the primary up to the blood supply joins the blood system above the heart.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

My personal choiced would be if only microscopic traaces was found in a lymph node to not have the complete lymph node basin removed.  There is debate in the medical community over this and there are clinical trils underway to determine a statistical bases for  resolution either way.  i would rateher have some nodesleft in the basin to catch other cancer cells tryint to follow the lymph path from the primary up to the blood supply joins the blood system above the heart.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics