The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery update

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery update

Participant

ok here it goes.. i know im a little late but my arm is still super sore.. i can use my arm from elbow down but thats it, one surgeon said they clipped a nerve and one said they didn't. we thought there was only one tumor but when the got in there it was 3 and they had fingers wrapper around everything, They cut out some of the muscle. They couldn't get it all but they did get most of it so we are hoping some more rounds of IL2 will get rid of whats left . i go monday to take out the drain tube hopefully. It hurts all the time.

ok here it goes.. i know im a little late but my arm is still super sore.. i can use my arm from elbow down but thats it, one surgeon said they clipped a nerve and one said they didn't. we thought there was only one tumor but when the got in there it was 3 and they had fingers wrapper around everything, They cut out some of the muscle. They couldn't get it all but they did get most of it so we are hoping some more rounds of IL2 will get rid of whats left . i go monday to take out the drain tube hopefully. It hurts all the time. fluid id still pouring out of it so they may leave it in longer. I sure don't want lymph edema. they took off a tumor growing off of the outside of the skin and sent it off for a  biopsy. I get that report Monday too along with a PET scan. I pray the IL2 has worked on the other small tumors and they are gone. they will set up my next rounf of IL2 while i am there. Im starting to really dread those treatments. The last one was so scary cause my blood pressure dropped to 40/20 and had to bring in the crash cart but they give me a shot of something to bring up my blood pressure and it started working before they figured out how to work the crash cart… I Thank God for that… But it was so scary for my husband  and i was on the phone with my daughter when it happeren so she was freaking out too… But as for the surgery it went really well. no stitches except for the drain tube got sewed in so i wouldn't pull it out.. The incision was only about 3 inches long and the just glued it ant put stirrie strips on it but the hole is really deep, its not gonna look very good for a long time.. Trauma from the surgery hit about the second day, OMG was that awful , every muscle from my chest up was so sore, so if anyone has this surgery expect it.. the Dr says they to stretch you and move you head and neck in ways that they stretch all the muscles and it makes you very sore.. i was on morphine every 2 hours except for when i was sleeping so that helped alot. But even after 7 days im still  really sore,, Could be from clipping the nerve cause i cant raise my shoulder still..Anyway thats my story from my surgery,,Its the best i could do with drugs im on,, Now im on to step 3 now, i got to beat this, i cant stand much more. I dont want to give up . but voices in my head are starting to tell me quality is better than quanity… i love all you guys on here and pray for you all the time..I sure wish they would hurry up and find a cure for us…God Bless you all.

carol b

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Thanks for the update, Carol.  Praying that the IL-2 zips the heck out of the rest.  Stay ahead of your pain by taking meds before it gets bad.  

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Thanks for the update, Carol.  Praying that the IL-2 zips the heck out of the rest.  Stay ahead of your pain by taking meds before it gets bad.  

Fen

lhaley
            Participant

Carol,

Hate to hear that you've been in so much pain. It will get a little better each day!  Take one day at a time. Don't get behind on the meds and before you know it you will be feeling better. 

I know you aren't B-raf positive, have they talked about the possibility of any of the MEK trials?  Not sure but I don't think you have to be B-raf positive. Hope you don't even have to think of the possibility and the IL2 has done it's work but always good to be thinking ahead.

Sending positive vibes and hugs,

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Carol,

Hate to hear that you've been in so much pain. It will get a little better each day!  Take one day at a time. Don't get behind on the meds and before you know it you will be feeling better. 

I know you aren't B-raf positive, have they talked about the possibility of any of the MEK trials?  Not sure but I don't think you have to be B-raf positive. Hope you don't even have to think of the possibility and the IL2 has done it's work but always good to be thinking ahead.

Sending positive vibes and hugs,

Linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics