The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery on zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery on zelboraf

Participant

Im just preparing myself for next weeks scans for my dad, I think it's now 3 mnths without scans on Zelboraf which he started OCT 2011. If there is new growth what do you think we should try next?

Im just preparing myself for next weeks scans for my dad, I think it's now 3 mnths without scans on Zelboraf which he started OCT 2011. If there is new growth what do you think we should try next?

I know it really depends on where you live (for trials) and we are in Melbourne Australia. I'm wondering if anyone has been on Zelboraf and had surgery at the same time? The late Jim Stynes RIP had 24 surgeries including 6 in his brain, he was only 45 and AFL footballer, do you think his treatment was more aggressive because he's young and fit or due to his high profile. My father shares the same oncologist and I suppose Im just really stressing out for him. Has anyone had SRS on their liver?

I just want them to go in and remove the tumors that can be removed and SRS the liver where there are four small lesions.

What are your thoughts.

Thanks advance 

Nahmi (daughter of patient)

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

I don't know why it posted as anonymous its deardad profile here.

deardad
          Participant

deardad
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

I am  on Zelboraf myself and thank God it is a miracle drug for most on it.From what I understand this drug affects blood clotting.Your dad may have to stop treatment or have dose reduced.My prayers for  both of you.All the best on surgery.   Al

deardad
                  Participant

Thanks I didn't know that take care.

deardad
                    Participant

deardad
                      Participant

aldakota22
                      Participant

I am  on Zelboraf myself and thank God it is a miracle drug for most on it.From what I understand this drug affects blood clotting.Your dad may have to stop treatment or have dose reduced.My prayers for  both of you.All the best on surgery.   Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

AlisonC
                          Participant
                            Hi Nahmi

No info on surgery after zelboraf I’m afraid although I would say don’t give up hope that it will all still be NED. I don’t think many Americans will have heard of Jim Stynes so to comment on that question, I think that for patients like him, they have an extensive network of fairly high profile friends so they tend to get intros to several different doctors who might offer more options.

Honestly though, I don’t think it’s that as much as I think it’s being able to successfully lobby for the treatment you want and being higher profile gave him some power to do that. NicOz, who posted here for quite a while, was a clinical trials nurse herself (in Sydney) so when she had brain mets, she was able to argue and argue for SRS/Gamma knife for a long time ( 21 tumours treated that way I think, over 2 years) whereas I think most doctors would default to WBR with that many tumours.

I think he was pretty determined (to be where he was in life) and that was what gave him the force to argue for what he wanted…

Good luck for your Dad’s scans

AlisonC
                            Stage IIIB
                            NED since 2001

deardad
                              Participant

Thanks Alison I think you're right, it does come down to your determination and Jim Stynes definately had that. I suppose for the first time I really realise that this isn't my fight and I can't force my dad to fight when maybe he doesn't have that determination. He wants to beat this but he doesn't want to know about treatments really, only when things are desperate I suppose, its his way of coping with the stress of all this (my mums the same). My sister and myself go the appointments for scan results because mum can't cope, she nearly passes out waiting for them to be read. It's harder on dad and us her being there.

I fondly remember NicOz, she was one tough cookie. Im sad shes gone.

Thanks again, and all the best to you Alison…hoping you are cured!

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                Participant

Thanks Alison I think you're right, it does come down to your determination and Jim Stynes definately had that. I suppose for the first time I really realise that this isn't my fight and I can't force my dad to fight when maybe he doesn't have that determination. He wants to beat this but he doesn't want to know about treatments really, only when things are desperate I suppose, its his way of coping with the stress of all this (my mums the same). My sister and myself go the appointments for scan results because mum can't cope, she nearly passes out waiting for them to be read. It's harder on dad and us her being there.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                  Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

AlisonC
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Nahmi

No info on surgery after zelboraf I’m afraid although I would say don’t give up hope that it will all still be NED. I don’t think many Americans will have heard of Jim Stynes so to comment on that question, I think that for patients like him, they have an extensive network of fairly high profile friends so they tend to get intros to several different doctors who might offer more options.

Honestly though, I don’t think it’s that as much as I think it’s being able to successfully lobby for the treatment you want and being higher profile gave him some power to do that. NicOz, who posted here for quite a while, was a clinical trials nurse herself (in Sydney) so when she had brain mets, she was able to argue and argue for SRS/Gamma knife for a long time ( 21 tumours treated that way I think, over 2 years) whereas I think most doctors would default to WBR with that many tumours.

I think he was pretty determined (to be where he was in life) and that was what gave him the force to argue for what he wanted…

AlisonC
                                    Stage IIIB
                                    NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Nahmi

AlisonC
                                      Stage IIIB
                                      NED since 2001

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Nahmi, BRAF inhibitor resistance is a problem that researchers are trying hard to
                                        overcome. I understand that some early trial results have found that MEK/PI3K or HSP90
                                        inhibitors (XL888) may be beneficial. See:
                                        http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Nahmi, BRAF inhibitor resistance is a problem that researchers are trying hard to
                                          overcome. I understand that some early trial results have found that MEK/PI3K or HSP90
                                          http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

deardad
                                            Participant

Hi Frank,

yes I have read about the MEK and XL888, I am asking the oncologist this Friday about it.

Thanks again for posting.

Nahmi

deardad
                                              Participant

Hi Frank,

yes I have read about the MEK and XL888, I am asking the oncologist this Friday about it.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                Participant

Hi Frank,

Nahmi

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics