The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery in Three days

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery in Three days

Participant

On Thursday I will have the melanoma removed from my foot and a skin graft. They will take the skin from a donor site on the side of my abdomen.

They will also be doing a SLNB at the same time.

The full thickness skin graft on the sole of my foot is about a 3" circular area.

Has anybody undergone something similar? How long does it take to heal from this and when do you think I will be able to drive and walk on the grafted skin?

thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        onestitchatatime
        Participant

I'd be interested in the response to this as well.  My husband is having an excision of a melanoma on his lower abdomen with an SLNB on May 19.

onestitchatatime
          Participant

I'd be interested in the response to this as well.  My husband is having an excision of a melanoma on his lower abdomen with an SLNB on May 19.

onestitchatatime
            Participant

kpcollins31
              Participant

I can speak to my experience with a skin graft, but mine was on my arm so I did not have to walk on it :). My graft was thickly wrapped in gauze for a few weeks and I was given instructions to be careful not to bump into things with it. I am a little fuzzy on exactly how many weeks the graft was wrapped. Aside from it being ugly, I do not remember it being painful at all. The donor site (same arm for me) was more sore which is something I have heard is common.

If I had to guess — and that is all it would be — you probably would not be walking on this for 6-8 weeks in order to allow the graft to heal. The doctors should be able to give you a better understanding of what to expect. 

Good luck in the surgery. Keep us posted.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                Participant

I can speak to my experience with a skin graft, but mine was on my arm so I did not have to walk on it :). My graft was thickly wrapped in gauze for a few weeks and I was given instructions to be careful not to bump into things with it. I am a little fuzzy on exactly how many weeks the graft was wrapped. Aside from it being ugly, I do not remember it being painful at all. The donor site (same arm for me) was more sore which is something I have heard is common.

If I had to guess — and that is all it would be — you probably would not be walking on this for 6-8 weeks in order to allow the graft to heal. The doctors should be able to give you a better understanding of what to expect. 

Kevin

kpcollins31
                  Participant

Kevin

hbecker
                    Participant

Robert,

Just one thing to add – take care of the incision where the donor skin is taken from. My husband popped his stitches open by being too active (i.e., lifting things he shouldn't have) too fast after the surgery. I think he was determined to show that he was on the road to getting back to his normal life. He should have taken that road a little slower …

Bottom line – give your whole body time to heal.

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

hbecker
                      Participant

Robert,

Just one thing to add – take care of the incision where the donor skin is taken from. My husband popped his stitches open by being too active (i.e., lifting things he shouldn't have) too fast after the surgery. I think he was determined to show that he was on the road to getting back to his normal life. He should have taken that road a little slower …

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

Robert,

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics