The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery happened today.

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery happened today.

Participant

Well, Dad ended up having to have surgery this morning.  The 3 larger tumors didn't respond to Gamma Knife, they started bleeding and getting bigger.  One of the tumors was the size of a dime, but the Hemorrage (sp?) ended up being the size of a Lime and they believe this was causing all of the mobility issues.  The Doctor said that the surgery went well, they were able to get them all out, although it was a challenge.  He feels that he will regain his mobiity and that we probably should have had them removed from the beginning, but that it was good to give the Gamma Knife a go.  Dad is stable and resting in the ICU.  

Hoping tomorrow is a better day.

πŸ™‚

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Gamma radiated tumors can swell and bleed (as they break apart). It isn't that the gamma didn't necessarily work on them, it may be quite the contrary, and that it blasted the heck out of them. Super good news to hear that the surgeon was able to get them all, and feels he will recover from the mobility issues! You have been on a fast moving coaster… goodness me… it has to get better from here. Hoping for that better day for all of you tomorrow as well!

cancersnewnormal
          Participant

Gamma radiated tumors can swell and bleed (as they break apart). It isn't that the gamma didn't necessarily work on them, it may be quite the contrary, and that it blasted the heck out of them. Super good news to hear that the surgeon was able to get them all, and feels he will recover from the mobility issues! You have been on a fast moving coaster… goodness me… it has to get better from here. Hoping for that better day for all of you tomorrow as well!

snow white
              Participant

Thank you for explaining that Niki, that makes a lot of sense.  I am here now with him and he is awake and ornery πŸ™‚   He just went down for a MRI and is being moved to a regular room.  They will have PT in later to see if we can get him up a bit.  We shall see.  Hoping to start Immunotherapy soon!

snow white
                Participant

Thank you for explaining that Niki, that makes a lot of sense.  I am here now with him and he is awake and ornery πŸ™‚   He just went down for a MRI and is being moved to a regular room.  They will have PT in later to see if we can get him up a bit.  We shall see.  Hoping to start Immunotherapy soon!

snow white
                  Participant

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Yeah! A regular room! **thumbs up**  Ornery is good… keeps the staff on their toes, and shows sign of healthy brain function. ha! Did they give him an interesting hair cut? Thankfully, I've got enough hair to cover the new holes that've been added to my head. I could always do a wicked comb over and nobody was any the wiser. Not sure how men handle that. I'd woke up with some fancy braid jobs after the surgeries. They should maybe include a post grad class in "styling" for these neurosurgeons. πŸ˜‰  

On a related note… the "gunk" they use to move hair aside and keep the area clean is vaseline based. If he finds that he has a seemingly unending "grease spot" that won't wash out with regular shampoo…… I defaulted to Dawn dish detergent. I figured if it can clean oil spills off of ducks and sea gulls, it should be able to clean neuro goop out of my hair. Works like a charm!

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Yeah! A regular room! **thumbs up**  Ornery is good… keeps the staff on their toes, and shows sign of healthy brain function. ha! Did they give him an interesting hair cut? Thankfully, I've got enough hair to cover the new holes that've been added to my head. I could always do a wicked comb over and nobody was any the wiser. Not sure how men handle that. I'd woke up with some fancy braid jobs after the surgeries. They should maybe include a post grad class in "styling" for these neurosurgeons. πŸ˜‰  

On a related note… the "gunk" they use to move hair aside and keep the area clean is vaseline based. If he finds that he has a seemingly unending "grease spot" that won't wash out with regular shampoo…… I defaulted to Dawn dish detergent. I figured if it can clean oil spills off of ducks and sea gulls, it should be able to clean neuro goop out of my hair. Works like a charm!

snow white
                        Participant

LOL! I will remember the Dawn tip.  His hair is actually way better then we expected, I think once it is washed it will be pretty good, this surgeon is know for doing "good" hair cuts πŸ™‚  

He is still struggling today, still can't walk, get himself out of bed or on the toilet.  Everyone says that it will just take time, I am guessing due to the large brain bleed, it takes longer to heal?

Thanks for the supportheart

snow white
                          Participant

LOL! I will remember the Dawn tip.  His hair is actually way better then we expected, I think once it is washed it will be pretty good, this surgeon is know for doing "good" hair cuts πŸ™‚  

He is still struggling today, still can't walk, get himself out of bed or on the toilet.  Everyone says that it will just take time, I am guessing due to the large brain bleed, it takes longer to heal?

snow white
                            Participant

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

JoshF
                                Participant

I've been following your dad's story. These challenges have been heart breaking. I like you pray tomorrow is a better day. Hope dad is resting well and healing!!

Josh

snow white
                                    Participant

Thank you Josh for your support, I know you are fighting your own Battle right now.  This has been  quite the roller coaster ride already and we are just getting started. Whew..

I am watching all of your updates as well, hoping you get to feeling better real soon.

smiley

snow white
                                      Participant

Thank you Josh for your support, I know you are fighting your own Battle right now.  This has been  quite the roller coaster ride already and we are just getting started. Whew..

I am watching all of your updates as well, hoping you get to feeling better real soon.

smiley

snow white
                                        Participant

smiley

JoshF
                                        Participant

I've been following your dad's story. These challenges have been heart breaking. I like you pray tomorrow is a better day. Hope dad is resting well and healing!!

Josh

JoshF
                                          Participant

Josh

debwray
                                            Participant

Struggling to find the right words. You are all having such a bad time although latest news sounds much more hopeful….Sometimes it feels like this rotten disease doesn't know when to stop throwing grief and challenges our way and we have to fight our way through it all. 

Hugs and waves of good wishes coming your way. 

Deb xx

debwray
                                              Participant

Struggling to find the right words. You are all having such a bad time although latest news sounds much more hopeful….Sometimes it feels like this rotten disease doesn't know when to stop throwing grief and challenges our way and we have to fight our way through it all. 

Deb xx

debwray
                                                Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                  Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                    Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                      Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                        Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                          Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                            Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                              Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                                Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                                  Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                                    Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                                      Participant

Deb xx

debwray
                                                                        Participant

Deb xx

khubes
                                                                          Participant

Hi Jennifer,

So sorry that you're going through this tough time.  πŸ™ 

I thought I'd share my husband's story, as his is very similar to your father's.  

My husband was diagnosed in May 2015 with metastatic melanoma to the brain, adrenal gland, lung, and mediastinum.  Before starting systemic treatment (Keytruda), he had all nine brain tumors zapped using SRS.  One tumor in particular was very problematic and caused complete paralysis on his entire right side.  Brain surgeons refused to remove it, and his onc didn't want to start systemic treatment when he was so weak (and on dexamethasone), so we were in quite the pickle.  The problematic brain tumor began to bleed after radiation, and ended up being removed via emergency craniotomy. 

His emergency surgery ended up being an AMAZING thing for us, though, because he quickly regained movement on his right side and was able to get systemic treatment within two weeks of his surgery.  This was all in June 2015, and as of his last MRI (September 2016) there have been no new tumors and all other tumors have shrunk significantly or have disappeared.  He has 6 small brain tumors left, and only residual scar tissue in his mediastinum – everything else is gone. 

Also, as Niki mentioned, the swelling after radiation could absolutely mean that the radiation was successful!  We watched and waited one of my husband's biggest tumors in his occipital lobe for about 6 months to see if it was actually progressing or was radiation necrosis.  It kept swelling and swelling, but finally collapsed on itself.  It is very small now.  πŸ™‚ 

Sorry for the novel of a message – I just wanted to give you some hope from someone who went through a similar situation!  

Wishing you and your father the absolute best.

Katie 

khubes
                                                                            Participant

Hi Jennifer,

I thought I'd share my husband's story, as his is very similar to your father's.  

My husband was diagnosed in May 2015 with metastatic melanoma to the brain, adrenal gland, lung, and mediastinum.  Before starting systemic treatment (Keytruda), he had all nine brain tumors zapped using SRS.  One tumor in particular was very problematic and caused complete paralysis on his entire right side.  Brain surgeons refused to remove it, and his onc didn't want to start systemic treatment when he was so weak (and on dexamethasone), so we were in quite the pickle.  The problematic brain tumor began to bleed after radiation, and ended up being removed via emergency craniotomy. 

His emergency surgery ended up being an AMAZING thing for us, though, because he quickly regained movement on his right side and was able to get systemic treatment within two weeks of his surgery.  This was all in June 2015, and as of his last MRI (September 2016) there have been no new tumors and all other tumors have shrunk significantly or have disappeared.  He has 6 small brain tumors left, and only residual scar tissue in his mediastinum – everything else is gone. 

Also, as Niki mentioned, the swelling after radiation could absolutely mean that the radiation was successful!  We watched and waited one of my husband's biggest tumors in his occipital lobe for about 6 months to see if it was actually progressing or was radiation necrosis.  It kept swelling and swelling, but finally collapsed on itself.  It is very small now.  πŸ™‚ 

Sorry for the novel of a message – I just wanted to give you some hope from someone who went through a similar situation!  

Katie 

khubes
                                                                              Participant

Hi Jennifer,

Katie 

Jango
                                                                                Participant

Hi Jennifer, so sorry that this is happening and I can relate to a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I am a newbie here too so I can't offer you specific advice but just can send you love and support. I really am hoping tomorrow is a better day too.

Xxx

Patti

Jango
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Jennifer, so sorry that this is happening and I can relate to a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I am a newbie here too so I can't offer you specific advice but just can send you love and support. I really am hoping tomorrow is a better day too.

Xxx

Patti

Jango
                                                                                    Participant

Xxx

Patti

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics