The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery # 7

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery # 7

Participant

I found out last week that the pedicle met at T-1 has grown.  I have been in a tremendous amount of pain the past few weeks and we now know why.  What was once thought of as post surgery and radiation nerve pain is actually the tumor destroying my t-1 vertebrae.  The left pedicle has been destroyed and the the left t-1 vertebral body is now involved.  Damn those bone mets.  Keytruda has worked on everything else for me, but these back tumors.  My July surgery to remove the t-5 tumor was a complete success so here is hoping this one will be too.

The only thing that has me concerned is the damage done by this met.  The surgeon has suggested that some hardware will probably be installed back there to stabilize things.  That means screws and rods and a longer stay in the hospital.  Not looking forward to the recovery part either, but it has to be better than the current pain I am in. 

Now for the good news.  The PET and MRI show no other mets.  I am holding on to the hope that lucky # 7 could be the last surgery.  Given how this beast likes to show up all the time, it may not be true, but I am holding on to that hope right now.  I will give an update once the recovery process gets underway.

God Bless you all,

Brad

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        J.bun
        Participant

You got this – keep up that fighting spirit!

Jahendry12
          Participant

Will hope and pray this IS lucky #7. So glad nothing else found on scans. Please keep us posted. 

Wishing you a successful surgery and a quick, painless recovery. 

Jahendry12
            Participant

Will hope and pray this IS lucky #7. So glad nothing else found on scans. Please keep us posted. 

Wishing you a successful surgery and a quick, painless recovery. 

jbronicki
              Participant

Fingers crossed for you Brad!

Mark_DC
                Participant

You are really brave – I am hoping to avoid surgery 3 but sounds nothing like yours

Good luck and I too pray this will be it and a success

TexMelanomex
                  Participant

Hey Brad!

Really happy to hear that everything was clear except that last lesion! I have to believe that 7 is indeed lucky and you finish this bastard off once and for all. Pulling and praying for you warrior brother! Also really happy to hear that the Keytruda was largely a success for you since I'm just starting out on it (tx #2 on Tuesday). I know several people who have needed hardware in/on their spine and most of them are doing great now, in less pain, and I think we can probably agree that its a worthwhile trade for being rid of this garbage and obtaining the coveted NED status! Hang in there Brad!

Tex

aka Brad

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics