The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

supplements…take all at once?

Forums General Melanoma Community supplements…take all at once?

Participant
      Question to those taking vitaamins and suppllements. I am stage 2B, this is what i am currrently taking:
      fish oil
      synthroid…due to interferon damage
      tumeric 1000mg
      biotin 1000mg….trying to get my hair and nails to grow back
      b50
      calcium with vitD
      vit D3
      and a multivitamin.
      should i be taking all this at once? Also, for those of you that found mass in lungs, what were your symptoms? I have had this annoying cough every take a deep breath that makess my whole lower lung area hurt, now its spread to back aand hurts really bad alongside my spine. I just had pet scan in first week june was negative. It just has me worried.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Not sure about how you should take your supplements but have you checked these supplements for interactions with your synthriod and any other meds you might be taking.  A good web sight is at Sloan-Kettering.  I usually take my meds morning and right before I go to bed (mine are 2x per day) and supplements right after dinner.  Most of the supplements absorb better with food.  Also tumeric is very hard to absorb, if you can find some with perperine it is supposed to be much easier to absorb.

Mary

washoegal
          Participant

Not sure about how you should take your supplements but have you checked these supplements for interactions with your synthriod and any other meds you might be taking.  A good web sight is at Sloan-Kettering.  I usually take my meds morning and right before I go to bed (mine are 2x per day) and supplements right after dinner.  Most of the supplements absorb better with food.  Also tumeric is very hard to absorb, if you can find some with perperine it is supposed to be much easier to absorb.

Mary

washoegal
            Participant

Mary

Richard_K
              Participant

I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice on your supplement question.  As to your question about lungs, I had a persistent cough that was treated unsuccessfully with antibiotics.  My PCP then sent me for a chest x-ray where a mass showed and then sent for a chest CT scan.  I don’t want to scare you, but this was my experience.

Dick  

Richard_K
                Participant

I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice on your supplement question.  As to your question about lungs, I had a persistent cough that was treated unsuccessfully with antibiotics.  My PCP then sent me for a chest x-ray where a mass showed and then sent for a chest CT scan.  I don’t want to scare you, but this was my experience.

Dick  

Richard_K
                  Participant

Dick  

Linny
                    Participant

You need to read the labels of the supplements to see when the optimum time to take them would be. Some vitamins work better with meals while others might work better on an an empty stomach. Since you're taking synthroid, you might want to check with your doctor too see if there are any vitamins/ supplements you should avoid while you're taking it.

A good place to read up on supplements is the on Sloan Kettering's web site. Google sloan kettering integrative medicine.

Linny
                      Participant

You need to read the labels of the supplements to see when the optimum time to take them would be. Some vitamins work better with meals while others might work better on an an empty stomach. Since you're taking synthroid, you might want to check with your doctor too see if there are any vitamins/ supplements you should avoid while you're taking it.

A good place to read up on supplements is the on Sloan Kettering's web site. Google sloan kettering integrative medicine.

Linny
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics