The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sunscreen

Forums General Melanoma Community Sunscreen

Participant
      As we all know as melanoma patients sunscreen is a must for us. I have been using sunscreen for around 30 years. This past weekend I was in Washington DC walking around. I tried a new improved sunscreen on my upper chest and the back of my neck. The areas that were exposed. To my surprised I had a photo allergic reaction to the chemicals in the sunscreen. After a trip to the dermatologist yesterday I am now using a steroid cream and can not use any sunscreen ion those areas for at least a week.

I just wanted to bring the subject up for anyone else who may have an allergy to sunscreen. Now I have to start trying to find a sunscreen that works for me. LOL the doctor suggested “baby” sunscreen and keep to physical sunscreens.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Wow! Sorry to hear that happened to you.  Makes you wonder what they put in it to make it "new and improved". Scary. I hope the baby suscreen works better for you.

Linny
          Participant

Wow! Sorry to hear that happened to you.  Makes you wonder what they put in it to make it "new and improved". Scary. I hope the baby suscreen works better for you.

Linny
            Participant

natasha
              Participant

I am using Garnier 50+ sunscreen block.

Is it good or bad one?

I know it is not professional sunscreen ,but Doctro said I can use any 30plus.

Does any one know is it o'k to use fake tan and tanning lotion ( tan without sun).I am using tanning solutions and I am brown ๐Ÿ™‚ I fake my tan.

natasha
                Participant

Is it good or bad one?

Does any one know is it o'k to use fake tan and tanning lotion ( tan without sun).I am using tanning solutions and I am brown ๐Ÿ™‚ I fake my tan.

natasha
                  Participant

Is it good or bad one?

justlittleoleme
                    Participant
                      Our derm recommended a sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. We use a baby one from coppertone and vanicream.
                      justlittleoleme
                      Participant
                        Our derm recommended a sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. We use a baby one from coppertone and vanicream.
                        justlittleoleme
                        Participant
                          audgator
                          Participant

I read an article…don't remember where but I remember it being credible…that recommended at least 2 brands. There may have been more but these are the 2 I use: NoAd & Equate. It also said anything over SPF 30 doesn't mean much.

Dan

audgator
                            Participant

I read an article…don't remember where but I remember it being credible…that recommended at least 2 brands. There may have been more but these are the 2 I use: NoAd & Equate. It also said anything over SPF 30 doesn't mean much.

Dan

audgator
                              Participant

Dan

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics