The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sunscreen

Forums General Melanoma Community Sunscreen

Participant

OK…with summer nearing, I hope, it's time to get some sunscreen. I probably like many of you, try to avoid the sun as much as possible. I want to enjoy my life and hate living in fear all the time. Not sure that will ever change but I'm trying. That being said I have been researching sunscreenslike crazy ad it has me more confused with chemicals to avoid, what best protects your skin etc… My derm said I shouldn't be concerned with sunscreen before 10am and after 4:30ish as UV rays are weakest and I can still get some natural Vitamin D. The other suggestion was zinc and titanium as best UV ray blockers but saomething is better than nothing….so does anyone have any suggestions?????

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

You can also buy UPF clothing and bathing suits. Check out Coolibar and Lands End.

For example, you can wear a UPF t-shirt to the beach along with some UPF swim trunks. Then all you need to do is apply sunscreen to the remaining exposed parts. So, in essence, you're applying sunscreen to a much smaller surface area of your body.

Coolibar has a decent selection of hats. Not sure what Lands End has.

Aveeno makes a sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium. It works fine, but it does make your skin white when you apply it.  I got mine at Rite Aid.

Linny
          Participant

You can also buy UPF clothing and bathing suits. Check out Coolibar and Lands End.

For example, you can wear a UPF t-shirt to the beach along with some UPF swim trunks. Then all you need to do is apply sunscreen to the remaining exposed parts. So, in essence, you're applying sunscreen to a much smaller surface area of your body.

Aveeno makes a sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium. It works fine, but it does make your skin white when you apply it.  I got mine at Rite Aid.

Linny
            Participant

Webbie73
                Participant

It is my understanding that sunscreen is not just for summer use. During the winter months our faces and hands are still exposed to the sun and should be protected. 

JoshF
                  Participant

Good point….I don;t see much of sun in winter…at least this winter in Chicago.

JoshF
                    Participant

JoshF
                      Participant

Gene_S
                        Participant

And I have some ocean front property for you here in Ohio

Gene_S
                          Participant

Gene_S
                            Participant

Webbie73
                              Participant

It is my understanding that sunscreen is not just for summer use. During the winter months our faces and hands are still exposed to the sun and should be protected. 

Webbie73
                                Participant

cpeters2498
                                  Participant

Regarding Sunscreen I am Stage IV and doing IPI and Dabrafenib.   They told me the Dabrafenib would make my hypersensetive to the sun and I am an outdoors person.

From my research I felt that the brand BLUE LIZZARD was the way to go.

So I bought a gallon of Blue Lizzard Sensative.  I had a week long convention in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and I cam back home untanned at all.   It is a little like trying to rub in Crisco shortening though.

Charlie

cpeters2498
                                    Participant

Regarding Sunscreen I am Stage IV and doing IPI and Dabrafenib.   They told me the Dabrafenib would make my hypersensetive to the sun and I am an outdoors person.

So I bought a gallon of Blue Lizzard Sensative.  I had a week long convention in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and I cam back home untanned at all.   It is a little like trying to rub in Crisco shortening though.

Charlie

cpeters2498
                                      Participant

Charlie

kylez
                                      Participant

Hi Josh,

I've settled on Anthelios 40 sunscreen cream. It seems expensive (1.7 oz tubes) but due to the texture, one of those tubes goes quite a long way. One of its ingredients is Mexoryl XL (ceamsule) which they combine with the more typical avobenzone, cutting a bigger part of the UVA spectrum than avobenzone alone.

I have a few UPF-rated shirts and one UPF-rated pair of pants. If I'm going to spend a particularly large amount of time in the sun I will make sure I wear one of the shirts. If I'm goint to be out all day (like at an outdoor sporting event) I'll add in the UPF-rated pants too. Doing this, as a fringe benefit I come back feeling a lot less "fried" which I attribue to getting very little sun/UV exposure from the clothes + sunscreen.

– Kyle

kylez
                                        Participant

Hi Josh,

I've settled on Anthelios 40 sunscreen cream. It seems expensive (1.7 oz tubes) but due to the texture, one of those tubes goes quite a long way. One of its ingredients is Mexoryl XL (ceamsule) which they combine with the more typical avobenzone, cutting a bigger part of the UVA spectrum than avobenzone alone.

I have a few UPF-rated shirts and one UPF-rated pair of pants. If I'm going to spend a particularly large amount of time in the sun I will make sure I wear one of the shirts. If I'm goint to be out all day (like at an outdoor sporting event) I'll add in the UPF-rated pants too. Doing this, as a fringe benefit I come back feeling a lot less "fried" which I attribue to getting very little sun/UV exposure from the clothes + sunscreen.

– Kyle

kylez
                                          Participant

Hi Josh,

– Kyle

kylez
                                              Participant

(ecamsule, not ceamsule.)

kylez
                                                Participant

kylez
                                                  Participant

sweetaugust
                                                  Participant

Hi Josh,

Knowing that our skin is our largest organ, I try to limit the amount of chemicals I put on it.  My gut feeling is that a lot of these SPF's out there may block some of the bad rays, but they are probably not good for our body in large quantities.  You may be familiar with the saying "everything in moderation."  So I, like some of the others here, use the sun clothes from http://www.coolibar.com; http://www.solumbra.com when I am going to be in the sun in the middle of the day.   I wear the long sleeve shirts and the pants….that way I only have to apply SPF to my face, ears, neck, hands and feet.  And I often wear a hat…and put my chair in the shade.

If I am to use SPF, I choose to either buy a more natural brand at Whole Foods, or my friend just forwarded me the following recipe the other day, so I could make my own.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/07/how-to-make-your-own-sunscreen-lotion.html?fb_action_ids=10151711672879868&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A10150924620161566%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Just cut and paste the above link into your browser and it gives the directions on how to make it.

These are just my suggestions.  Good luck with everything,

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                    Participant

Hi Josh,

Knowing that our skin is our largest organ, I try to limit the amount of chemicals I put on it.  My gut feeling is that a lot of these SPF's out there may block some of the bad rays, but they are probably not good for our body in large quantities.  You may be familiar with the saying "everything in moderation."  So I, like some of the others here, use the sun clothes from http://www.coolibar.com; http://www.solumbra.com when I am going to be in the sun in the middle of the day.   I wear the long sleeve shirts and the pants….that way I only have to apply SPF to my face, ears, neck, hands and feet.  And I often wear a hat…and put my chair in the shade.

If I am to use SPF, I choose to either buy a more natural brand at Whole Foods, or my friend just forwarded me the following recipe the other day, so I could make my own.

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/07/how-to-make-your-own-sunscreen-lotion.html?fb_action_ids=10151711672879868&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A10150924620161566%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151711672879868%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Just cut and paste the above link into your browser and it gives the directions on how to make it.

Laurie

Gene_S
                                                        Participant

My motto is "If I wouldn't eat it, I would never put it on my skin."

I been searching for proof that the sun causes melanoma for years now and I have yet to find any concrete evidence. The sun causes skin cancer but not melanoma. It's time for the truth.

I my personal case, I firmly believe that the lack of sun was the cause of my melanoma.

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

I been searching for proof that the sun causes melanoma for years now and I have yet to find any concrete evidence. The sun causes skin cancer but not melanoma. It's time for the truth.

I my personal case, I firmly believe that the lack of sun was the cause of my melanoma.

Gene_S
                                                            Participant

sweetaugust
                                                            Participant

Hi Josh,

Laurie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics