The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sun sensitivity to Tafinlar and MEK

Forums General Melanoma Community Sun sensitivity to Tafinlar and MEK

Participant

We r on vacation and although covered adequately/spa 70 my husbands nausea has really derailed him. He wanted to see Caribbean waters as bucket list but his health has been all nausea. Anyone else suffer from this?  Thanks. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Greetings R & C,

Not sure this helps, but I encountered extraordinary, almost unimaginable photo-sensitivity to my first BRAF drug, Vemurafenib (Zelboraf).  Living in Hawaii, it was the worst 3-months of my life.  Then we switched to TAF/MEK combo which did not have the photo-sensitivity side-effect.  But rule number one on this board should be acknowledgement that almost everyone reacts differently to various drug therapies.  Hope this resolves itself as its no fun hiding from the sun constantly.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Greetings R & C,

Not sure this helps, but I encountered extraordinary, almost unimaginable photo-sensitivity to my first BRAF drug, Vemurafenib (Zelboraf).  Living in Hawaii, it was the worst 3-months of my life.  Then we switched to TAF/MEK combo which did not have the photo-sensitivity side-effect.  But rule number one on this board should be acknowledgement that almost everyone reacts differently to various drug therapies.  Hope this resolves itself as its no fun hiding from the sun constantly.

Gary

Polymath
            Participant

Greetings R & C,

Gary

Momofjake
              Participant

Rita and Gary,

My son Jake starts the Mek/Taf combo today. I am planning our summer vacay and was looking at a Mexico beach….he already hides from the sun like crazy, but I figured he would nap in the mid day and the house I want to rent is awesome w lots of covered patio and view…still, I don't know if he will be sick, sun sensitive, or just hate it. I am actually feeling kinda sad. Keytruda failed. So so many tumors everywhere. Now the BRAF that they say doesn't last long. Hoping he doesn't get too sick. He feels and looks so good right now. Man, they go thru SO much! So sorry your trip has been "cancery"!! Hoping for health for you guys❤️

Kerri

Polymath
                  Participant

Hi Kerri,

There are a lot of folks on here rooting for Jake.  He's a trooper for sure, and hope he and Charles are like me, and do not have the photo-sensativity issues on TAF/MEK combo.  More importantly, we hope they are responders.  Even though the BRAF inhibitors seem to have a short shelf life, just knocking down the tumor load, even temporarily can add time, and hope.  Best to you all.  

Gary

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Kerri,

There are a lot of folks on here rooting for Jake.  He's a trooper for sure, and hope he and Charles are like me, and do not have the photo-sensativity issues on TAF/MEK combo.  More importantly, we hope they are responders.  Even though the BRAF inhibitors seem to have a short shelf life, just knocking down the tumor load, even temporarily can add time, and hope.  Best to you all.  

Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Hi Kerri,

Gary

Rita and Charles
                        Participant

Keri, he is starting to feel a lot better. We float for a while in Caribbean waters slathered in spf beach defense the snooze under umbrellas. The house we r in has great hammock , covered porches and infinity pool looking over ocean. We spent so much time here years ago. To get away! Out of the normal house where cancer is evident w pills and books. Escape. Listen to music. Eat if he can. Be lazy. See sunrise and sunset. This 7 day escape has been worth it to him. His nausea has gotten better, not as chancery now. It could have been the grueling travel to get here. I think of u and your son often, praying. 

Charles has been on the medication now for 7 months – next scan when we get back. 5 days of happy island time – do as many bucket lists he has. Good luck let me know how it goes????

rita

Rita and Charles
                          Participant

Keri, he is starting to feel a lot better. We float for a while in Caribbean waters slathered in spf beach defense the snooze under umbrellas. The house we r in has great hammock , covered porches and infinity pool looking over ocean. We spent so much time here years ago. To get away! Out of the normal house where cancer is evident w pills and books. Escape. Listen to music. Eat if he can. Be lazy. See sunrise and sunset. This 7 day escape has been worth it to him. His nausea has gotten better, not as chancery now. It could have been the grueling travel to get here. I think of u and your son often, praying. 

Charles has been on the medication now for 7 months – next scan when we get back. 5 days of happy island time – do as many bucket lists he has. Good luck let me know how it goes????

rita

Rita and Charles
                            Participant

rita

Momofjake
                            Participant

Rita and Gary,

My son Jake starts the Mek/Taf combo today. I am planning our summer vacay and was looking at a Mexico beach….he already hides from the sun like crazy, but I figured he would nap in the mid day and the house I want to rent is awesome w lots of covered patio and view…still, I don't know if he will be sick, sun sensitive, or just hate it. I am actually feeling kinda sad. Keytruda failed. So so many tumors everywhere. Now the BRAF that they say doesn't last long. Hoping he doesn't get too sick. He feels and looks so good right now. Man, they go thru SO much! So sorry your trip has been "cancery"!! Hoping for health for you guys❤️

Kerri

Momofjake
                              Participant

Rita and Gary,

Kerri

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics