The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Success with nivolumab – should we continue?

Forums General Melanoma Community Success with nivolumab – should we continue?

Participant
      My husband, Pete, now 61, was diagnosed with Stage IV malignant melanoma in February 2017. He had a huge lymph node removed from his right neck region along with 33 other nodes which were clean. This surgery took place at MD Anderson in Houston. In July of that year, after recovering from surgery, a PET scan revealed a lot of growth: Spine and brain mets, mets to hip bones. He underwent some local radiation to the neck and then targeted radiation to the brain mets at the base of his skull. He then started on Yervon/nivolumab and progressed to just nivolumab. He tolerated his immunosuppression fairly well. Main side effects have included itching, fatigue, a “foggy brain” and some sporadic morning nausea but so far his PET scans have revealed no progression. Doc doesn’t know how he walks with the spine in the shape it is and recommends lifting “nothing heavier than a jug of milk” He is stubborn, however, and continues to “work out” daily (although not to the extent that he did before all this). I know this has really helped with his physical and emotional strength. Bottom line, he is coming close to the two-year mark of immunosupression. A success story for sure! He We are very thankful to have come to this point. Soon will be the two-year mark and he will make a decision to continue or stop the therapy. There doesn’t seem to be clear-cut evidence one way or other, although the oncologist recommends continuation..

This month the insurance denied doctor’s request for a PET scan on the basis that the brain MRI and past PET scans have not changed.. Doc is recommending a bone scan/CT instead but this will very different than the PET scan so he wanted to go over the interpretation with us after it is done.

Just wanted to get his experience out there to give others hope who are immunosupression – we do certainly believe it saved his life! (oh, and PRAYERS)

Sabrina

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant
          I stopped treatment in August 2018, still NED.
            Sabrina Matchulat
            Participant
              Thanks for replying! What diagnostic tools does your oncologist recommend and how often?
            Summer S.
            Participant
              That is fantastic news! I hope he continues to feel better

Immunotherapies are known for their long-term effect, even after the treatment stops. So, if the doctors suggests stopping the treatment at a certain point, I think it should be fine.

Love and prayers to both of you!

Sabrina Matchulat
                Participant
                  Thank you for your rreply. The doc wants him to continue indefinitely – he has few side effects but still questions when to stop
                cancersnewnormal
                Participant
                  Each patient will vary, and doctors really STILL don’t have any concrete ideas on when a patient can/should stop receiving immunotherapy infusions. If his disease is “stable” but not growing, the PET uptake may be a good indicator as to whether he should continue on Nivo or try stopping. A traditional CT will show size and location, but not metabolic activity, so it is difficult to determine whether or not one is looking at scar tissue or active metastasis. For me, the decision to stop was fairly clean cut, as pancreatitis set in, and I had no visible metastasis (other than some stable scar tissue in the brain). Keytruda had cleared mets from my scans, so we knew it was the drug that did the work. I was on it for 20 months from Nov 2014 to July 2016 and have remained clear since stopping. A close friend of mine who was on it from May 2014 (in trial) to May 2016 had a recurrence in his brain in October 2017. After gamma knife to the lesion, he was put back on 6 months of “maintenance doses” and now is again remaining clear.

The decision to stop or continue is so individualized. Unfortunately there aren’t any solid answers we can turn to.

Edwin
                  Participant
                    My oncologist developed my plan of care based on a discussion held at ESMO 2018 by Dr. Jeffrey Weber:
                    https://ascopost.com/videos/esmo-2018-congress/jeffrey-weber-on-discontinuing-immunotherapy/
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics