The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Subungual hematoma or melanoma?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Subungual hematoma or melanoma?

Participant

Hello.  I am a 36 year old white female who recently developed a dark spot under the toenail of my right big toe.  I don't recall injuring it and it doesn't hurt.  After furiously Googling what this could be, I have made an appointment with my dermatologist but it's not until next Wednesday and I may drive myself crazy worrying before then.  I'm attaching a picture – does this looks more like a hematoma than a melanoma?  It's not a continuous vertical band of pigment, but I'm not sure if it's coming from the nail matrix or not because of its location on the side of my toenail.  Any thoughts anyone may have would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        wilj264
        Participant

Rexiep
            Participant
              Hi! Just curious about what your results were since I have a similar mark on my toe. Thanks!
            wilj264
            Participant

Photo of my nail is at http://i.imgur.com/wU14s18.jpg.

jennunicorn
              Participant

Looks like a bruise. Can happen without us even knowing about it, from shoes, or other reasons. I had a large black spot under my big toenail, didn't recall injuring my toe at all and it did not hurt, so I also got a bit worried, saw the dermatologist and yep, it was a bruise. It took about 6 months to grow out. Just a side story, I call that mysterious toe bruise the "bruise that saved my life".. because at that same derm appointment is when the derm also saw a large mole on my leg (something I was not planning on having removed for a long time because I didn't feel like paying for it) and had it biopsied that day.. and that is why I'm here. Good you made an appointment, make sure to get a full body skin check while you're there.

wilj264
                  Participant

Thank you for your response, Jenn, and for sharing your story!  I really appreciate it.

raun cesar
                  Participant

It looks like you unconsciously bump into somthing. It will take time to get away, and its good that you have an appointment ahead Good Luck!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics